iSCSI on the PS3 (Network Sharing of Blu-Ray Drive)

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

iSCSI on the PS3 (Network Sharing of Blu-Ray Drive)

Postby cainmp » 08 Jan 2009, 18:55

Hi guys, new to the forums. I have been reading a lot of articles here and I cant seem to find an answer to my question. i found this website: http://linux-iscsi.org/index.php/Playstation3/iSCSI, and it clearly shows the sharing of the PS3 Blu-Ray drive over the network to another PC using the technology of iSCSI. i am a completely new to Linux, i did successfully install YDL 6.1 and have played around with it and am happy with my experience so far.

for anyone who doesn't know, iSCSI is a network protocol that allows hard drives, partitions, CD/DVD drives tape drives, etc to appear to a networked computer as a local drive, and allows reading and writing to occur as such. So, in theory, once installing the iSCSI target software on the PS3, one could share the Blu-Ray Drive over the network to any PC and it would appear as a local drive for watching Blu-Ray Movies locally.

to my question, does anyone know how to implement this software? there is little to no help on the website there except for the software files, Googleing the topic has proved useless, and I have no idea how to install, configure or use it beyond looking at the website.

Any help at all that may point me in the right direction would be great.

cainmp
Last edited by cainmp on 09 Jan 2009, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.
cainmp
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: iSCSI on the PS3

Postby Jaybps3 » 08 Jan 2009, 19:25

These threads are difficult, I would like to help you but at the same time. Im not sure helping someone gain access to the blueray drive over a network is a good or bad thing.

Im going to have to say I can't. I guess if one of the moderators/administrators veiws your post, and says its ok I will help out. Otherwise my position stands.
60GB PS3 (CECHA01) upgraded HDD 160gb, 40" Sony Bravia, Ydl 6 and plenty of other goodies :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/jaybps3
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby bonedome » 08 Jan 2009, 21:35

Yes I think you may have opened an interesting thread or a can of worms.
The issue here is clearly one of legality and in the wonderful no borders world of the internet it's difficult to know what laws apply.
Apparently it is technically illegal (in the UK) to copy your legitimately owned cd to mp3 or ipod,
if you where a part of some organised crime gang making grillions of £$ from selling ripped off dvds etc then you may come to the attention of law enforcement, on the other hand I doubt ever so slightly that the royalties police are going to be kicking your door in at 4 in the morning if you're Joe public listening to your mp3 player while you wait for the bus, hence lots of people do it without losing too much sleep.
One question that also needs answering is if you could copy a bluray disc onto a hard drive is it the same quality ?
If it can only be played at the same res as a normal or upgraded dvd I can't see a big problem/much point.
There that's my two pence :D
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 08 Jan 2009, 21:43

Jaybps3 wrote:These threads are difficult, I would like to help you but at the same time. Im not sure helping someone gain access to the blueray drive over a network is a good or bad thing.

Im going to have to say I can't. I guess if one of the moderators/administrators veiws your post, and says its ok I will help out. Otherwise my position stands.

I think it's okay. It doesn't look like this is designed for piracy - there doesn't appear to be any "cracking" involved. It just appears to be a way to allow you to remote connect to drives.

Use your best judgment here. If you get a bad feeling about it, feel free to skip it. :)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 08 Jan 2009, 21:49

bonedome wrote:Yes I think you may have opened an interesting thread or a can of worms.
The issue here is clearly one of legality and in the wonderful no borders world of the internet it's difficult to know what laws apply.
Apparently it is technically illegal (in the UK) to copy your legitimately owned cd to mp3 or ipod,
if you where a part of some organised crime gang making grillions of £$ from selling ripped off dvds etc then you may come to the attention of law enforcement, on the other hand I doubt ever so slightly that the royalties police are going to be kicking your door in at 4 in the morning if you're Joe public listening to your mp3 player while you wait for the bus, hence lots of people do it without losing too much sleep.
One question that also needs answering is if you could copy a bluray disc onto a hard drive is it the same quality ?
If it can only be played at the same res as a normal or upgraded dvd I can't see a big problem/much point.
There that's my two pence :D

My interpretation of this software is that it allows you to remotely connect to a blu-ray drive. Consider it an alternative form of networking. There's no mention of copying at all - I would assume that the Mac in the pictures has blu-ray playback software but no blu-ray drive. I don't see any U.S. legal issues with this. It's the same as removing the blu-ray drive from your PS3 and putting it in a PC.

As for your last question about copying - now that's something that probably shouldn't be discussed here.

Let's try to keep this thread specifically on-topic about installing the iSCSI software and not spin off into discussions about legal issues. Otherwise, I probably will be forced to lock it. (Not trying to be threatening here - just trying to be a good site admin. :D)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby uncholowapo » 08 Jan 2009, 22:01

This isn't a bad idea for people with modern generation computers that can stream super fast and don't have a BD Drive readily available. I'll have to bookmark it :wink: Hmmm I'll experiment with it when my friend gets his gaming PC next week.
PS3 40GB has YDL 6.1 running 480i on a piece of $#!% Sanyo 24 incher. Need to go to 1080p.
uncholowapo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby cainmp » 08 Jan 2009, 22:13

Thanks guys, i must admit that there is zero intent to break any laws here, from my understanding, the PC, or mac or Linux box or whatever still has to communicate with the drive as if it where local, meaning some software like PowerDVD or similar is required to allow playback, nothing illegal there. I merely don't have a desire to pay for a new Blu-Ray drive in my PC when i feel it is possible to use the one I already have (in my PS3). so again, does anyone know how to install/configure iSCSI on ydl 6.1?

cainmp
cainmp
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: iSCSI on the PS3 (Network Sharing of Blu-Ray Drive)

Postby cainmp » 11 Jan 2009, 04:04

Anyone have any ideas?
cainmp
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 11 Jan 2009, 10:28

cainmp wrote:Anyone have any ideas?

From the looks of the website - it's not a typical install. There may be some compiling steps involved. It'll take a little while for the folks on this community forum to get this running.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby cainmp » 11 Jan 2009, 19:22

Thats cool,just wondered if anyone was working on it or if there was anything I could do to help (testing etc).
cainmp
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby uncholowapo » 11 Jan 2009, 19:40

I tried a quick compile from the svn version like it said in it's readme and I came out with errors. I don't know if I was supposed to compile on the PS3 or on my laptop though since the site is very limited on instructions or if it is me that can't understand the instructions. :oops:
PS3 40GB has YDL 6.1 running 480i on a piece of $#!% Sanyo 24 incher. Need to go to 1080p.
uncholowapo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Jaybps3 » 11 Jan 2009, 20:23

Ok well I think I will go ahead and hop on it. I'll be back with my results soon as I get some :)
60GB PS3 (CECHA01) upgraded HDD 160gb, 40" Sony Bravia, Ydl 6 and plenty of other goodies :)
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby uncholowapo » 11 Jan 2009, 21:44

I'm still wondering how HD movies can be played over a network without any help from the Cell. I don't see anywhere that it uses the Cell for any video processing. So I'm guessing it uses the hardware of the recieving machine i.e laptop or desktop. Any ideas?
uncholowapo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby billb » 12 Jan 2009, 00:22

uncholowapo wrote:I'm still wondering how HD movies can be played over a network without any help from the Cell. I don't see anywhere that it uses the Cell for any video processing. So I'm guessing it uses the hardware of the recieving machine i.e laptop or desktop. Any ideas?

Sounds to me like the machine you'd watch the videos on (not the PS3) would be reading from the PS3's blu-ray drive over the network as if it were attached.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jaybps3 » 16 Jan 2009, 12:38

I got this worked out, I'll post a tutorial up soon. Basically the main thing is installing the iscsi-target once you get that done, Configuring it for use is fairly simple. Windows vista is what I used to connect, the iscsi initiator was already installed :)

You have to have your kernel source installed to build the iscsi-target. Once you have your kernel source installed properly its just as simple as run make KERNELSRC=/usr/src/KERNEL-SOURCE install

That will get the target module built and installed.
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Next

Return to Playstation 3