iSCSI on the PS3 (Network Sharing of Blu-Ray Drive)

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: iSCSI on the PS3 (Network Sharing of Blu-Ray Drive)

Postby cainmp » 16 Jan 2009, 17:08

Jaybps3 wrote:I got this worked out, I'll post a tutorial up soon. Basically the main thing is installing the iscsi-target once you get that done, Configuring it for use is fairly simple. Windows vista is what I used to connect, the iscsi initiator was already installed :)

You have to have your kernel source installed to build the iscsi-target. Once you have your kernel source installed properly its just as simple as run make KERNELSRC=/usr/src/KERNEL-SOURCE install

That will get the target module built and installed.

You are amazing, I will give this a try this weekend as I look forward to the tutorial :D
cainmp
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Jaybps3 » 17 Jan 2009, 01:21

About the KERNELSRC

If you are unfamiliar with how to obtain/install a kernel source. Its available on the YDL 6.1 install disk, Just browse the install dvd inside the yellowdog folder you will find the kernel src rpm, install it... If after you install the kernel src you get build errors, Then your kernel src is not properly linked.

I will go over the details in the turoial thread soon as I have some time. To all the linuxers who enjoy linux, You will not have any problems getting this setup and running.
60GB PS3 (CECHA01) upgraded HDD 160gb, 40" Sony Bravia, Ydl 6 and plenty of other goodies :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/jaybps3
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby cainmp » 22 Jan 2009, 19:25

Gave this a try today, I was able to get kernel source to install just fine; I downloaded the latest iscsi target module from the website I gave you and installed that just fine as well. Being new to Linux, I as struggling as what to do next, I know I need to use the make command, however I am not sure where or on what or in what order. Anyone with some pointers would be greatly appreciated.
cainmp
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Jaybps3 » 22 Jan 2009, 21:59

I will get around to this thread soon as possible. There is quite a few steps to go yet. I always have to go over everything 3 times before making a guide. It's hard to actually remember each step. So what I do is first figure it out and get it running once. Then remove and redo to see if I can get it working again with the steps I wrote down. Sometimes I get lucky and I am able to install with the steps I've saved, sometimes I have to figure it out more then once before I get all the steps correct.

Soon as I am able to re-install and get it running with the saved steps, I will make the guide and show everyone else how to get her done.

I have gotten this worked out and working, However I am not quite sure if I zigged here or zagged there you know.
60GB PS3 (CECHA01) upgraded HDD 160gb, 40" Sony Bravia, Ydl 6 and plenty of other goodies :)
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby cainmp » 22 Jan 2009, 22:06

Yes i do know, thanks again for your help! take your time, i was feeling brave today, but clearly i need to learn a bit more about Linux :D
cainmp
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby juanito » 25 Jan 2009, 12:06

Jaybps3 wrote:About the KERNELSRC
If you are unfamiliar with how to obtain/install a kernel source. Its available on the YDL 6.1 install disk, Just browse the install dvd inside the yellowdog folder you will find the kernel src rpm, install it...

If you upgraded from 6.0 -> 6.1 using "yum upgrade" as I did, is there a ydl-6.1 kernel source package available with yum? (I don't see one).
ps3 60gb, cechc04, fw-3.15, ydl-6.2/cblfs multi-lib dual boot
dell 2009w monitor, logitech mediaboard (usb)
juanito
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby uncholowapo » 25 Jan 2009, 15:45

juanito wrote:If you upgraded from 6.0 -> 6.1 using "yum upgrade" as I did, is there a ydl-6.1 kernel source package available with yum? (I don't see one).

I tried searching for one myself also but to no luck.
PS3 40GB has YDL 6.1 running 480i on a piece of $#!% Sanyo 24 incher. Need to go to 1080p.
uncholowapo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby tvd » 29 Jan 2009, 02:36

I've managed to install iSCSI Enterprise Target on my Yellow Dog 6.1 linux running on PS3.
I set my iSCSI target to point to /dev/md0 which i believe is the bluray drive, iSCSI Initiator from windows manage to mount to the target but unable to read any discs.

I reckon it doesn't understand the bluray file system.

I then proceed to rebuild my kernel to include the udf file system which is use by bluray discs but something went wrong and it stuff up by wifi as well.

Will post a message later if i manage to read the bluray disc from Windows. In the mean time, i will appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
tvd
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby cainmp » 06 Mar 2009, 04:57

Any updates here? I had forgotten about this thread but I noticed there have been no new updates.
Again thanks for all your help!
cainmp
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Jaybps3 » 10 Mar 2009, 00:31

tvd wrote:I've managed to install iSCSI Enterprise Target on my Yellow Dog 6.1 linux running on PS3.
I set my iSCSI target to point to /dev/md0 which i believe is the bluray drive, iSCSI Initiator from windows manage to mount to the target but unable to read any discs.

I reckon it doesn't understand the bluray file system.

I then proceed to rebuild my kernel to include the udf file system which is use by bluray discs but something went wrong and it stuff up by wifi as well.

Will post a message later if i manage to read the bluray disc from Windows. In the mean time, i will appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

The blueray drive should be /dev/scd0 not md0 :)
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby JasonGratton28 » 21 Mar 2009, 21:08

Any news on the tutorial?
JasonGratton28
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby sirgrinalot » 13 Jun 2010, 01:53

I def would like a tutorial for this to curb my non-firmware-upgrading itch, and give a household purpose to this beast. :lol:
PlayStation 3 80GB (CECHE01) (Upgraded to Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB), FW 3.15, YDL 6.2
Samsung LN-T3242HX 32" LCD
Logitech Bluetooth MediaBoard Pro
PS Network ID: sirgrinalot
sirgrinalot
ydl lover
ydl lover

Previous

Return to Playstation 3