Wireless tips and tricks for YDL 6.1

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: Wireless tips and tricks for YDL 6.1

Postby bropee1 » 27 Jan 2010, 02:31

You really nailed it there. :D :D :D :D Thank you so much! Now I can continue on. I had tried that but I guess I may have had problems before when I would lose manager. :idea: You are awesome.

Thank you :!:
bropee1
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby baron76 » 29 Jan 2010, 19:43

I am still having issues getting WiFi to work with YLD 6.2 WEP. As outlined in Scenario 3 I did delete previous network configurations and tried to start Wicd manager. Unfortunately I immediately get an error message "Wicd Network Manager stopped running unexpectedly". This is the same message I received before deleting the Inactive network settings as well.

Thanks
baron76
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 29 Jan 2010, 20:11

baron76 wrote:I am still having issues getting WiFi to work with YLD 6.2 WEP. As outlined in Scenario 3 I did delete previous network configurations and tried to start Wicd manager. Unfortunately I immediately get an error message "Wicd Network Manager stopped running unexpectedly". This is the same message I received before deleting the Inactive network settings as well.

Thanks

As I mention at the end of Scenario 3:

ppietro wrote:NOTE: Also - I did run into the "Can't start wicd manager" issue. It was resolved by following the steps in this post
http://www.ydl.net/support/advisories.shtml
with the exception of sudo. sudo is not set up on YDL systems by default. Instead, use su -l for that step.

Look for the section marked "If Wicd Network Manager dies after reboot ..."

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby baron76 » 29 Jan 2010, 20:46

Ok I tied that too changed signal display type from false to 0 that is zero not O!

Rebooted Wicd is up and running finds my network signal is good 92 % but fails to connect.
Advanced settings are set for use encryption WEP Shared and Key is entered anything else I need to change?

Thanks
baron76
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 29 Jan 2010, 20:53

baron76 wrote:Ok I tied that too changed signal display type from false to 0 that is zero not O!

Rebooted Wicd is up and running finds my network signal is good 92 % but fails to connect.
Advanced settings are set for use encryption WEP Shared and Key is entered anything else I need to change?

Thanks

First thing to check - are you sure you're actually using WEP? :D

Second - make sure you're using the right key type. There's a difference between ASCII and HEX keys.

Third - if you're using HEX, make sure you don't enter a 0x before the key - that's only for the old network panel, not wicd.

Also - make sure if you're using 6.2 that you don't apply the community patch. YDL 6.2 does not need it and, most likely, it will break it.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby baron76 » 29 Jan 2010, 21:52

Yup using WEP used same info I use for my windows laptop.
I tried all three options for the WEP configuration same issue on all.
Maybe I'll reconfigure the router to use WPA next.

It works unsecured damn what is going on.
baron76
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 29 Jan 2010, 23:37

baron76 wrote:Yup using WEP used same info I use for my windows laptop.
I tried all three options for the WEP configuration same issue on all.
Maybe I'll reconfigure the router to use WPA next.

It works unsecured damn what is going on.

Again - be careful with the HEX vs. ASCII thing. How many characters long is your password? (NOTE: Don't tell me your password - just how long it is.)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby baron76 » 30 Jan 2010, 04:17

Checked the router config. set to WEP encryption Hex password is 10 digits total (numeric and alfa a-f).

Thanks again
CG
baron76
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 30 Jan 2010, 04:50

baron76 wrote:Checked the router config. set to WEP encryption Hex password is 10 digits total (numeric and alfa a-f).

Thanks again
CG

Cool - okay - next steps are here:

viewtopic.php?t=3399

Ignore step 2 & 6

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby baron76 » 30 Jan 2010, 18:33

This is crazy the wifi works perfect unsecured.

So I made changes according to your post open system 64bit hex 10 digits even tried the example given 0x1234567890 on PS3 WEP (HEX); 1234567890 on router, but system will not connect.

Could it be a DHCP problem everything is set to automatic.

Thanks,
Christian
baron76
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 30 Jan 2010, 18:54

baron76 wrote:This is crazy the wifi works perfect unsecured.

So I made changes according to your post open system 64bit hex 10 digits even tried the example given 0x1234567890 on PS3 WEP (HEX); 1234567890 on router, but system will not connect.

Could it be a DHCP problem everything is set to automatic.

Thanks,
Christian

I mentioned this before but... remember - if you're using wicd - DON'T PUT THE 0x IN FRONT. :D

And - no - you've ruled out DHCP issues when you connected unsecured. If you can connect unsecured, it's an encryption problem.

I'm not sure what else to tell you here. The fact you can connect unsecured means that wicd is working. It's gotta be a router setting. You might as well try WPA and see if that works better.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby otakusupreme » 21 Mar 2010, 17:02

friendly neighborhood noob here... everytime i reboot back to game os and then back to ydl i have to go to network unser system tools and reactivate for some reason... and wicd never works for me.... anybody gotta solution.
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 21 Mar 2010, 20:47

otakusupreme wrote:friendly neighborhood noob here... everytime i reboot back to game os and then back to ydl i have to go to network unser system tools and reactivate for some reason... and wicd never works for me.... anybody gotta solution.

If wicd doesn't work, you probably have this issue:

http://www.ydl.net/support/advisories.shtml

Look for the section "If Wicd Network Manager dies after reboot ..."

NOTE: The guide is written for the utility sudo, which isn't present by default in YDL systems. Many folks add it post installation. So - use su -l instead.

i.e.

sudo bash - [ENTER]

should be

su -l [ENTER]

Also - you can't have "old" networking and wicd active at the same time. Make sure you delete Wireless from the Networking Control panel before starting wicd.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. Also - since you're running 6.2, you won't need the community patch I mention at the start of this thread. It works fine as shipped by YDL.
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gm567 » 22 Mar 2011, 21:15

Hi,

A latecomer! G4 iMac install of YDL 6.1, before I try an install of 6.2 perhaps you might be able to help with my wicd issue. Won't start, the window pops up for a split second. On E17 I get the error log below. I've tried the patch for my version with no change. I've a WEP connection with a HEX key.

Thanks very much.

Error Information:
An exit code of 1 was returned from wicd-client --no-tray.

Output Data:
Attempting to connect tray to daemon...
Success.
refreshing...

Error Logs:
Introspect error: The name org.wicd.daemon was not provided by any .service files
Introspect error: The name org.wicd.daemon was not provided by any .service files
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/wicd/wicd-client.py", line 557, in ?
main(sys.argv)
File "/usr/lib/wicd/wicd-client.py", line 531, in main
the_gui = gui.appGui()
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd/gui.py", line 1262, in __init__
self.refresh_networks(fresh=False)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd/gui.py", line 1740, in refresh_networks
if wired.CheckPluggedIn() or wired.GetAlwaysShowWiredInterface():
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 102, in __call__
reply_message = self._connection.send_with_reply_and_block(message, timeout)
File "dbus_bindings.pyx", line 455, in dbus_bindings.Connection.send_with_reply_and_block
dbus_bindings.DBusException: The name org.wicd.daemon was not provided by any .service files
gm567
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 23 Mar 2011, 01:23

gm567 wrote:Hi,

A latecomer! G4 iMac install of YDL 6.1, before I try an install of 6.2 perhaps you might be able to help with my wicd issue. Won't start, the window pops up for a split second. On E17 I get the error log below. I've tried the patch for my version with no change. I've a WEP connection with a HEX key.

Thanks very much.

Error Information:
An exit code of 1 was returned from wicd-client --no-tray.

Output Data:
Attempting to connect tray to daemon...
Success.
refreshing...

Error Logs:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/wicd/wicd-client.py", line 557, in ?
main(sys.argv)
File "/usr/lib/wicd/wicd-client.py", line 531, in main
the_gui = gui.appGui()
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd/gui.py", line 1262, in __init__
self.refresh_networks(fresh=False)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd/gui.py", line 1740, in refresh_networks
if wired.CheckPluggedIn() or wired.GetAlwaysShowWiredInterface():
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 102, in __call__
reply_message = self._connection.send_with_reply_and_block(message, timeout)
File "dbus_bindings.pyx", line 455, in dbus_bindings.Connection.send_with_reply_and_block
dbus_bindings.DBusException: The name org.wicd.daemon was not provided by any .service files

Two things.

1. The patch was developed and tested on PlayStation 3 systems only, due to a bug in their network hardware. I'm not exactly sure what it will do on a Mac. I think it will work okay - but since I don't have a Mac, I can't guarantee it. I would try without the patch first.

2. There's a good chance the wicd daemon isn't starting. Wicd has two pieces - a daemon (like a windows service) and a GUI to configure it. There is a known bug in YDL 6.1 where the GUI sets a parameter incorrectly so the service won't start. The fix is here: http://us.fixstars.com/support/advisories.shtml Scroll down to the If Wicd Network Manager dies after reboot ... section. Also - that guide was written with the sudo command, which isn't present in YDL by default. Use su -l instead of sudo for that step.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3