Wireless tips and tricks for YDL 6.1

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: Wireless tips and tricks for YDL 6.1

Postby ppietro » 18 Apr 2009, 17:41

HorizonShadow wrote:Got lost somewhere around "advisory".

ASCII, is that "passphrase" in the selection box in WICD, or "shared/Restricted"

The advisory is here:
http://us.fixstars.com/support/advisories.shtml
Look for the "If Wicd Network Manager dies after reboot .." section. For step 2, sudo is not set up on YDL systems by default. Instead, use su - for that step.

As for your second question, I'll have to quickly install Wicd and let you know... yeah - it looks like it might be passphrase..

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HorizonShadow » 18 Apr 2009, 20:44

oh THAT, Yea, already knew about that.. It crashes a lot..

Anywho, I already tried it yesterday again, hmm, I'll do it again to be safe.
HorizonShadow
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby HorizonShadow » 19 Apr 2009, 01:17

no luck (big surprise there)

I opened WICD, put in passphrase, put the code in, applied, hit connect annnnnddddd, it never retrieved the IP address.
HorizonShadow
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby JJJohan2 » 19 Apr 2009, 03:13

Thanks Paul, but that had no effect on my system either. A reinstall shouldn't be too bad.

Yep, working fine now.
Last edited by JJJohan2 on 19 Apr 2009, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.
JJJohan2
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 19 Apr 2009, 06:03

HorizonShadow wrote:no luck (big surprise there)

I opened WICD, put in passphrase, put the code in, applied, hit connect annnnnddddd, it never retrieved the IP address.

If you've re-installed wicd at any time - you'll have to re-patch.

If that doesn't work, I guess try the original Network Configuration control panel with scenario 2. You should be able to enter the ASCII passphrase by typing it in the box without the 0x.

Also - if you're using the Network Configuration panel, you might check these tips.
viewtopic.php?t=3399

The control panel is sensitive to things like upper/lowercase SSIDs, and your access point should be Open System WEP and not Shared key.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HorizonShadow » 19 Apr 2009, 17:00

I've never re-installed it.

Already tried that.

I'm thinking I should just re-install linux, try scenario 1.
HorizonShadow
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 19 Apr 2009, 19:41

HorizonShadow wrote:I've never re-installed it.

Already tried that.

I'm thinking I should just re-install linux, try scenario 1.

That's always an option.

However - I would double-check your encryption settings. I know you don't have direct access to the wireless AP configuration panel - but if you could get a look at it, and double-check that it is indeed WEP ASCII, that might help lower the frustration level.

Just so you know - I use D-link gear pretty exclusively - so it will work with it. It's just a matter of figuring out how it's setup.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby andrercampbell » 02 May 2009, 18:27

the file cannot be extracted on my windows. It downloads but when I try to open it, it says windows cannot recognize it
andrercampbell
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 02 May 2009, 23:14

andrercampbell wrote:the file cannot be extracted on my windows. It downloads but when I try to open it, it says windows cannot recognize it

What file are you trying to open in Windows??????

The wicd patch? I should think not - Windows doesn't natively understand tar.gz compression/archiving. You need to do it from YDL as outlined.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cha0tic221 » 18 May 2009, 01:21

-IGNORE THIS-
Hi, I've just installed YDL 6.1 and it seems great. The only problem I'm having is with the WICD connections. Originally my problem was that it wouldn't receive an IP address. Did some searching, found your patch, and copied that over right away, no problems.

For some reason now though, the manager won't open up. It did this before after I tried putting in my WEP key a few times before copying the patch over but it just won't open anymore. It says that it can't find org.wicd.daemon.

Couldn't find where else to ask so if I'm in the wrong spot, very sorry.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT*

Never mind, I figured it out. Turns out I just wasn't looking hard enough. Don't really like Linux though. This was my first use of Linux on any system and it was just such a hassle. Couldn't get .exe files to work and the whole installation of WINE was confusing. But hey, I'm a newb, will probably try again someday...
Cha0tic221
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby pugrat » 18 May 2009, 14:15

I am using ydl, version, yellowdog-6.1-ppc-DVD_20090201_NEW_PS3. My wireless (wlan0) device is 'active', but I cannot get on the internet. Each time I launch the wicd it crashes. I tired the patch 1.53 & 1.59, changing the code in the terminal, but still not internet.

Please help.
pugrat
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 18 May 2009, 16:30

pugrat wrote:I am using ydl, version, yellowdog-6.1-ppc-DVD_20090201_NEW_PS3. My wireless (wlan0) device is 'active', but I cannot get on the internet. Each time I launch the wicd it crashes. I tired the patch 1.53 & 1.59, changing the code in the terminal, but still not internet.

Please help.

Ummm.. yeah... what 1.5.9 did you try? Unless you replace the default YDL installation, which is 1.5.3, that patch won't work. Go ahead and put the 1.5.3 patch back on - you'll need it if you're using a PS3.

Also - if you've edited deep wicd settings, you'll have to manually edit a configuration file to get it working again. That's a Fixstars advisory. The advisory is here:
Look for the "If Wicd Network Manager dies after reboot .." section. For step 2, sudo is not set up on YDL systems by default. Instead, use su -l for that step.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pugrat » 18 May 2009, 18:54

ppietro wrote:
pugrat wrote:I am using ydl, version, yellowdog-6.1-ppc-DVD_20090201_NEW_PS3. My wireless (wlan0) device is 'active', but I cannot get on the internet. Each time I launch the wicd it crashes. I tired the patch 1.53 & 1.59, changing the code in the terminal, but still not internet.

Please help.

Ummm.. yeah... what 1.5.9 did you try? Unless you replace the default YDL installation, which is 1.5.3, that patch won't work. Go ahead and put the 1.5.3 patch back on - you'll need it if you're using a PS3.

Also - if you've edited deep wicd settings, you'll have to manually edit a configuration file to get it working again. That's a Fixstars advisory. The advisory is here:
Look for the "If Wicd Network Manager dies after reboot .." section. For step 2, sudo is not set up on YDL systems by default. Instead, use su -l for that step.

Cheers,
Paul

Thanks Paul. I will try this.
pugrat
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby pugrat » 19 May 2009, 00:17

Got to wicd to work with the 1.53 patch. The wicd is showing "connected to linsys at 100%, but I still cannot get firefox find any intern sites.
pugrat
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby pugrat » 20 May 2009, 01:42

I finally got thee wireless to work after a reinstall, delete the devices, 1.53 wicd patch and set the wicd key to WEP shared/restricted, then add my KEY.

Thank you Paul for guiding me. U R D MAN!
pugrat
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3