Wireless tips and tricks for YDL 6.1

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: Wireless tips and tricks for YDL 6.1

Postby HeathclifFlowen » 17 Feb 2009, 06:10

I guess I'll toss wcid since it's pretty much boned as it is right now. How would I do that btw? when I open the add/remove program it says it can't update the list because I'm not connected the the internet, which is a bit a circular problem.

Anyway, the old network has no devices listed, so it's not doing anything. The old network config wasn't working in the first place, which is why I looked at wcid.

EDIT: Huh, tried the script editing process again and now it works fine, all connected. Maybe you were right and wcid was interfering with the old network at first, but now since it can't even open itself, it's fine. Well, thanks for the help.
HeathclifFlowen
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 17 Feb 2009, 09:48

Hi everyone,

UPDATE: It looks like there's an issue with the new script when you use it with wicd 1.5.3. (wicd 1.5.3 is the version that ships with YDL by default.)

When I use the latest version of the patch, and try to start wicd manually, I get this:

[root@yurie wicd]# service wicd start
[root@yurie wicd]# ces: [FAILED]

However - when I use the older script, and try to start wicd manually, I get this:

[root@yurie wicd]# service wicd start
Starting wicd services: /var/run/wicd/wicd.pid
[root@yurie wicd]# [ OK ]

So - at this point - I'm revising my post to point at the older script. I'll also let sun know - perhaps it's an easy error to fix. (I don't know anything about python. :D)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jbob0124 » 19 Feb 2009, 01:49

I followed the steps on the first page to get my YDL6.1 wireless through the PS3, and everything worked fine yesterday wirelessly...I turned it on just a few minutes ago and its not connecting through my wireless...I went back to the configuration to make sure all the settings were as described, and they are. I try to activate the wireless connection and I get this message, any Ideas?

Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.
Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8B04) :
Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :

Determining IP information for wlan0... failed; no link present. Check cable?
jbob0124
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 19 Feb 2009, 03:39

jbob0124 wrote:I followed the steps on the first page to get my YDL6.1 wireless through the PS3, and everything worked fine yesterday wirelessly...I turned it on just a few minutes ago and its not connecting through my wireless...I went back to the configuration to make sure all the settings were as described, and they are. I try to activate the wireless connection and I get this message, any Ideas?

Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8B04) :
Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :

Determining IP information for wlan0... failed; no link present. Check cable?

Those errors are red herrings - they happen with the old network manager in YDL 6.1 (In other words - I get those three Error messages - but mine connects.)

What else did you change in the interim? Did you try using wicd, by any chance?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jbob0124 » 19 Feb 2009, 04:11

Yes I've tried using the wicd...it shows my connection and when I click on Connect, it shows the status as being connected but at 0%

As far as me changing anything, I haven't (intentionally anyways :lol: )
jbob0124
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 19 Feb 2009, 06:26

jbob0124 wrote:Yes I've tried using the wicd...it shows my connection and when I click on Connect, it shows the status as being connected but at 0%

As far as me changing anything, I haven't (intentionally anyways :lol: )

If you're connected via wicd, you can't connect via the Network Configuration control panel. From what I understand, it's basically one or the other.

So - did you set wicd to auto-connect by any chance?

BTW - the connected at 0% is a known issue. One of our forum members - sun - is working on a fix here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4416

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jbob0124 » 19 Feb 2009, 15:02

Yes I believe it is on Auto connect...

I just turned it on this morning, and now seems to work fine...I haven't changed anything since yesterday (weird)
jbob0124
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby kennedy577 » 19 Feb 2009, 18:31

heyyy paul, need your help bad, ive followed the tut and still no internet grrr.. i have yd 6.1 and i am on 80gb ps3 lolz so my wi fi router is a netgear hope you can help me thanks in advance oliver
kennedy577
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby jbob0124 » 19 Feb 2009, 18:44

Kennedy, not sure if this helps much, but I had the same problem...I actually had to edit the scrpits as in configuration 2 and finish it with configuration 3.
jbob0124
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 19 Feb 2009, 18:49

jbob0124 wrote:Kennedy, not sure if this helps much, but I had the same problem...I actually had to edit the scrpits as in configuration 2 and finish it with configuration 3.

Actually - it's been our experience that Scenario 2 and Scenario 3 are mutually exclusive. If you set up 2, you have issues with 3 and vice versa.

To use 3, you'd want to delete *all* of your networking in 2 - wired and wireless.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jbob0124 » 19 Feb 2009, 18:54

Thats what I did, deleted all of them and started over, changing the "eth" over to "lan"
jbob0124
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 19 Feb 2009, 19:42

jbob0124 wrote:Thats what I did, deleted all of them and started over, changing the "eth" over to "lan"

Yes - but for wicd - you don't want *ANY* of them in the Network Configuration panel.

Wicd and Network are separate Linux daemons that share some of the configuration files. They could interfere with each other, so when I test it I use one or the other - but not both.

However - if it's working for you - don't mess with it! :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pulse01 » 23 Feb 2009, 06:55

Ok so im new to YDL i just downloaded and installed 6.1 Fresh my wireless was not working i did a search on google found this post

Router is set up for WPA2

so i proceeded to do "Scenario 3: Using WICD" from here on the main post that part went well rebooted then got the stuck at "Obtaining IP Address" junk so...

i did the following listed steps viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534#p24084 were i downloaded "wicd v1.5.3 wnettools.py.tar.gz" followed the directions everything went well again...

i reboot...........

start the wicd network manager and get the error "Application Execution Error" - " Introspect error: The name org.wicd.daemon. was not provided by any .service files"

i found a "Solution" for this i lost the link now... but i had to change some thing from "FALSE" to "0" and everthing went ok but i reboot again and....

nothing im still gettin the wicd "Application Execution Error" and i dont know wat to do

i need wireless internet there is no way i can get a wire to it all slots are filled and i cant change the setting to WEP cuz other wireless things run in this house on it :(

if im forgetting somthing can some one please tell me? or give me steps on how to fix this? i prolly messed somthing but i dont know wat it was and its driving my crazy

Thanks for reading and the help :)
pulse01
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 23 Feb 2009, 10:32

pulse01 wrote:i did the following listed steps viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534#p24084 were i downloaded "wicd v1.5.3 wnettools.py.tar.gz" followed the directions everything went well again...

Apparently not - it sounds like a step got messed when you tried to apply the patch.

Your error message indicates that the wicd service hasn't started - so the wicd configuration panel can't load.

Did you download this patch?
download/file.php?id=73

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pulse01 » 23 Feb 2009, 17:09

ppietro wrote:
pulse01 wrote:i did the following listed steps viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534#p24084 were i downloaded "wicd v1.5.3 wnettools.py.tar.gz" followed the directions everything went well again...

Apparently not - it sounds like a step got messed when you tried to apply the patch.

Your error message indicates that the wicd service hasn't started - so the wicd configuration panel can't load.

Did you download this patch?
download/file.php?id=73

Cheers,
Paul

Thank you for the fast response and yes i did download that 1 and i kept getting that error however last night i fixed the wicd not starting following what you posted in ur original thread i could not type the file destinations by hand for some reason... so i just dragged and dropped them and it worked

BUT now im getting the problem were it gets stuck at "putting interface down" when i click on my net work :( it seems like for every thing i fix i get another bug

im going to try the patch u listed in ur reply to me 1 more time and see if that help other then that i dont know wat to do :( only been missing with linux for a day now lol :) so i need help

and again thx for the help and reading
pulse01
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3