Wireless tips and tricks for YDL 6.1

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: Wireless tips and tricks for YDL 6.1

Postby AmaiWana » 24 May 2009, 13:54

i tried wicd, and then i got stuck at that ip thing, then i came back ps3 side to read next tutorials. i went back, then i cant use wicd, it says something about error and much weird letters and things. what i must do to get it work again O.o? and i red about installing things but i didnt understand anything.... so im 100% lost..... help?
lost in yellow dog.... it ate me.... :/
AmaiWana
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 25 May 2009, 07:17

AmaiWana wrote:i tried wicd, and then i got stuck at that ip thing, then i came back ps3 side to read next tutorials. i went back, then i cant use wicd, it says something about error and much weird letters and things. what i must do to get it work again O.o? and i red about installing things but i didnt understand anything.... so im 100% lost..... help?

Go back to the very first post in this thread. There are two things you might need to do to get wicd running again. You need to apply a patch, and you might have to fix a configuration file.

These things are listed at the end of Scenario 3.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AmaiWana » 25 May 2009, 09:42

hmmmm :/ im trying to get it work but i dont understand all those thing and how to do them..... :?:
AmaiWana
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby timorelo » 25 May 2009, 11:47

Hi,

I had try scenario 2, but when I try to activate.... wait wait .... 2min...10min...25min... never activate.
Can you help me?

thanks
timorelo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 25 May 2009, 19:45

AmaiWana wrote:hmmmm :/ im trying to get it work but i dont understand all those thing and how to do them..... :?:

There are step by step instructions for applying the patch in my followup post to the first post. It's the fifth post in the thread.

As for the second part - editing the configuration file - the referenced link explains how to do that step by step. There is one exception, and I note that in my post: sudo vs. su -l.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. This link may be useful: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 25 May 2009, 19:47

timorelo wrote:Hi,

I had try scenario 2, but when I try to activate.... wait wait .... 2min...10min...25min... never activate.
Can you help me?

thanks

Most likely you're having authentication errors. Work thru this thread and see if any of these apply:

WiFi Tips and Tricks

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AmaiWana » 26 May 2009, 18:25

well its little hard to download that patch coz i dont have pc (thats why doing ps3 for one), i cant use that php thing.....
AmaiWana
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 26 May 2009, 18:59

AmaiWana wrote:well its little hard to download that patch coz i dont have pc (thats why doing ps3 for one), i cant use that php thing.....

Then you'll have to do the following:

1. Change your wireless access point security to WEP or disable it entirely. You would do this on the wireless access point itself, not the PS3.
2. Ignore wicd for the time being and follow Scenario 1 or 2 in the first post in this thread.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AmaiWana » 26 May 2009, 19:57

i got it working somehow, it says connected 0% (i put manually IP and those), so if i get that patch tomorrow somewhere it will work fully? one question, how i can install programs, coz i cant access remove/add programs control coz no internet, so how i install that patch :? ?
AmaiWana
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 26 May 2009, 21:09

AmaiWana wrote:i got it working somehow, it says connected 0% (i put manually IP and those), so if i get that patch tomorrow somewhere it will work fully? one question, how i can install programs, coz i cant access remove/add programs control coz no internet, so how i install that patch :? ?

By putting the IP in manually, you bypass the wireless access point authentication - therefore, you're most likely not connected correctly. Are you posting from YDL right now?

(There are excpetions to this with certain wireless access points/routers - notably the ActionTec wireless routers that Qwest uses.)

Yes - if you get that patch tomorrow, it will probably work. That patch is not officially from YellowDog/Fixstars - it was written by one of our knowledgable community members. Most people that install the patch have had success with it.

The post I listed explains how to install the patch - Add/Remove Software is not required for this. (Remember - it's 5 posts down from the first post in this thread - under my name.)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby juliaxyz » 27 May 2009, 11:26

What do i need to do if i have a new magic trick? I think i've made a new magic trick. What do i need to do now? I've searched the web and i can't find it. Do i just get a patent on it?
Last edited by juliaxyz on 30 May 2009, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
juliaxyz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 27 May 2009, 18:41

juliaxyz wrote:What do i need to do if i have a new magic trick? I think i've made a new magic trick. What do i need to do now? I've searched the web and i can't find it. Do i just get a patent on it?

Seriously? This is a forum dedicated to the computer operating system Linux - not a magician's forum. We would have no idea what you should do one way or another.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AmaiWana » 27 May 2009, 20:39

i just done those su codes and those, and i tired to install wnettools.py but it sais something weird and didnt do it. so what i must do that o can install it?

i done those repo thing but there was something about 6.0 and 6.1 repos, so i need to change them 6.1? O_____o''
AmaiWana
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 27 May 2009, 21:16

AmaiWana wrote:i just done those su codes and those,

What does that mean, exactly? Your description is so vague, I have no idea what you tried or didn't try. Unless you provide much more detail, there's no way for me to help you. If you really want help with this, you need to list what you did step by step.

AmaiWana wrote:and i tired to install wnettools.py but it sais something weird and didnt do it. so what i must do that o can install it?

What does that mean exactly? Again - with a description that vague, I have no idea what you did or didn't do, and therefore I have no way of even beginning to help you. If there's an error message, you need to post it here and give me as much detail as possible.

If you had posted a list of what you typed, and what the YDL responses were, I could point out where you had errors in your syntax, etc.

AmaiWana wrote:i done those repo thing but there was something about 6.0 and 6.1 repos, so i need to change them 6.1? O_____o''

Yes - since you're running 6.1, you should use 6.1.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AmaiWana » 28 May 2009, 14:45

i done everything what was in 5th post and that 'Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 6' post's first post (getting error coz no inernet connection, hmm, maybe this is not related to this proplem...).

i read something about deleting network devices in network setting place, i must delete them, eth0 and wlan0, to use wicd correctly? is it causing error? last time when i deleted them, i re-installed ydl coz i didnt know how to get them back.

If WEP key isnt right, thats why wicd dont obtain IP adress?
AmaiWana
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3