Wireless tips and tricks for YDL 6.1

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: Wireless tips and tricks for YDL 6.1

Postby ppietro » 10 Apr 2009, 08:57

Gnat Bites wrote:The file simply shows up in the flash drive window as "file.php". Is this correct?

Well - kinda. That's the website "request" link. You basically request the file via PHP - which is what this message board runs on. The PHP back-end on the webserver then translates that request and sends you the actual file.

When you go to download it - by clicking on it, or right clicking "Save as..." - it should be actually be called something like wnettools.py.tar.gz.

I post some very detailed instructions here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534#p24084

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gnat Bites » 10 Apr 2009, 17:42

Paul... You're an absolute diamond! :D

Thanks for your help.

I'm up and running. The patch worked a treat and once I deactivated the connections in the Network control panel my wireless worked perfectly.

Cheers! 8)

The problem I was having at first was that the patch file didn't seem to be showing up properly ...as I said previously, it was shown as 'file.php'. I suspect downloading it straight to the PS3 was the problem here. When I downloaded it to the PC it was fine.
oof me 'ed 'urts
Gnat Bites
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby HorizonShadow » 13 Apr 2009, 14:54

Hi, I followed your directions to the dot and installed the patch for WICD, but nothing has seemed to change.

When I click on "connect", It simply says "retrieving IP address" and then fails eventually.

A couple things I want to point out though...

When rebooting the system, "wlan0" doesn't shut off, it says "failed". ( i think it's wlan0.. it's the wireless one)
HorizonShadow
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 13 Apr 2009, 17:30

HorizonShadow wrote:Hi, I followed your directions to the dot and installed the patch for WICD, but nothing has seemed to change.

When I click on "connect", It simply says "retrieving IP address" and then fails eventually.

A couple things I want to point out though...

When rebooting the system, "wlan0" doesn't shut off, it says "failed". ( i think it's wlan0.. it's the wireless one)

Assuming you've done everything right..... :D

First - make sure you've deleted all of the devices in the original Network Configuration control panel.

Second - double check your authentication password. If your password is wrong, you'll get results like this.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HorizonShadow » 14 Apr 2009, 01:40

Yep, WEP key is right.

in the original config. panal, that would be the one that has "eth1 and wlan0" right?..

.. the one in v.5.1 of linux..
HorizonShadow
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 14 Apr 2009, 02:57

HorizonShadow wrote:Yep, WEP key is right.

in the original config. panal, that would be the one that has "eth1 and wlan0" right?..

.. the one in v.5.1 of linux..

Yeah - those devices should be deleted, I think.

Also - if you're using WEP key with WICD - don't forget to not add the 0x. wicd doesn't use it - only the Network Configuration panel uses it.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HorizonShadow » 14 Apr 2009, 21:41

Thanks for the help.
I'll try this tonight.
I knew about not putting the 0x thing, read it somewhere or other ^.^
HorizonShadow
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby HorizonShadow » 14 Apr 2009, 23:12

Didn't work.

I deleted eth0 and wlan0, and tried to open WICD again, but got an error, so I followed the steps to resolve the error and rebooted.

When it loaded up again, the things I deleted were back, and WICD was working, so I repeated the steps, same thing happened 3 times.

THEN, i did the same thing, but deleted the ethernet hardware thing out of the config, still got the WICD error, but when I rebooted, the eth0 and wlan0 were gone, with the hardware still there. WICD was working as well.

So, I loaded WICD, and hit "connect". and watched as it miserably failed to get my IP address. :cry:

*EDIT**
I should probably mention that it starts up perfectly fine, with no errors during that start up screen. so it DOES retrieve the IP address during start up?
HorizonShadow
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 15 Apr 2009, 04:35

HorizonShadow wrote:So, I loaded WICD, and hit "connect". and watched as it miserably failed to get my IP address. :cry:

When this happens - either your password/encryption is incorrect or your wicd is not correctly patched.

To make sure you patch correctly, check here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534#p24084

What type of access point are you trying to connect to? Most major brands should work fine.

I should probably mention that it starts up perfectly fine, with no errors during that start up screen. so it DOES retrieve the IP address during start up?

My guess is no - it doesn't. However - if you want to check to see if you got an IP address, then after you boot, open up a terminal window and type this:
/sbin/ifconfig

One more thing - you're using 6.1 right?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HorizonShadow » 15 Apr 2009, 11:56

Yep, using 2.1.

I also followed those instructions when I was setting it up.

Hmm, maybe I just need to reinstall linux..
HorizonShadow
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 15 Apr 2009, 19:10

HorizonShadow wrote:Yep, using 2.1.

I also followed those instructions when I was setting it up.

Hmm, maybe I just need to reinstall linux..

I doubt you need to re-install at this point. As long as you're using the stock wicd, you might try re-applying the patch first. If you're not using the stock wicd - 1.5.3 - you'll need to use a different patch - the patches are keyed to the wicd release version. See here:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4416#p22368

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HorizonShadow » 16 Apr 2009, 00:14

Does it make a difference if the back up isn't the original?

I think I may have done the update before without backing it up, therefor, my back up is the exact same as the one currently in use.

Mind uploading the original file =D
HorizonShadow
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 16 Apr 2009, 00:21

HorizonShadow wrote:Does it make a difference if the back up isn't the original?

No - the backup is there only in case you get into trouble.

Can you confirm that your patch matches the download?

A handy command for this, from a terminal window, is diff (i.e. diff file1 file2) If the files are the same, nothing is reported, otherwise, it outputs the difference between the two files.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HorizonShadow » 16 Apr 2009, 00:48

ppietro wrote:
HorizonShadow wrote:Does it make a difference if the back up isn't the original?

No - the backup is there only in case you get into trouble.

Can you confirm that your patch matches the download?

A handy command for this, from a terminal window, is diff (i.e. diff file1 file2) If the files are the same, nothing is reported, otherwise, it outputs the difference between the two files.

Cheers,
Paul

Hum, It should match the download, I manually moved it into the place, without the terminal, and did it again with the terminal.
HorizonShadow
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby HorizonShadow » 16 Apr 2009, 03:53

WICD is updated, ifconfig showed no IP stuff for wlan0.

sigh.. =/
HorizonShadow
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3