Wireless tips and tricks for YDL 6.1

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Wireless tips and tricks for YDL 6.1

Postby ppietro » 13 Jan 2009, 07:39

Hi everyone,

PS3 Wireless on YDL 6.1 can be tricky. Here's a few scenarios to get Wireless working.

NOTE: The first two scenarios are for WEP Open System only. Other encryption types won't work with these. The third scenario should work for WEP or WPA. Also - you should use scenarios 1 & 2 in conjunction with my original Wireless tips and tricks post: WiFi Tips and Tricks

Scenario 1: Wireless Configuration During Setup

1. During setup, uncheck eth0, check wlan0 and fill out the wireless configuration (including the WEP key).
  2. After setup finishes, it will reboot. Wireless won't work at this time - don't worry. :)
  3. After the second phase of the setup is complete, open the Network Configuration control panel. (In E17 ---> Applications --> System Tools --> Network (Network Configuration))
  4. In the Network Configuration control panel, click the Devices tab, and double click the Inactive wlan0 entry.
  5. In the resultant Wireless Device Configuration dialog box, click the Wireless Settings tab.
  6. Re-enter the Wireless Access key and click OK.
  7. Back at the Network Configuration dialog box, click Activate. It will prompt you to save changes - click Yes, then click OK.
  8. In the activating dialog box, you will see three errors - Set Mode, Set Frequency, Set Bit Rate - again - don't worry about those. Also - Wireless isn't working yet, so you'll need to cancel out of the dialog box and click OK.
  9. At this point, go ahead and delete eth0 by highlighting the Ethernet connection, and clicking the Delete button.
  10. Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes.
  11. Save the changes by selecting File --> Save from the menus and click OK to close the dialog box.
  12. Close the Network Configuration control panel.
  13. Reboot. Your wireless network should be active upon reboot.

Scenario 2: Creating wlan0 Manually By Editing eth0 Scripts

NOTE: This scenario is when the wlan0 device has been deleted and you can't re-create it.

1. Open the Network Configuration control panel (In E17 ---> Applications --> System Tools --> Network (Network Configuration)) and click the Devices tab.
  2. Click New.
  3. In the resultant Add new Device Type dialog box, in the Select Device Type section, select Ethernet connection in the Device Type column and click Forward.
  4. In the resultant Select Ethernet Device section, select PlayStation 3 Gigabit Ethernet (eth0) and click Forward.
  5. In the resultant Configure Network Settings section, set your Hostname (if necessary) and click Forward.
  6. In the Create Ethernet Device section, click Apply.
  7. Back at the Network Configuration control panel, select File --> Save and click OK.
  8. Close the Network Configuration control panel.
  9. Open a terminal window, and switch to root user with the su command.
  10. In the same terminal window, type cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
  11. In the same terminal window, type gedit ifcfg-eth0
  12. In the resultant gedit window, look for the TYPE=Ethernet entry, and change it to TYPE=Wireless.
  13. Look for the DEVICE=eth0 and change it to DEVICE=wlan0
  14. Click the Save button and close gedit (File --> Quit)
  15. Close the terminal window.
  16. Open the Network Configuration control panel and click the Devices tab.
  17. Double click on the Inactive Wireless entry.
  18. In the resultant Wireless Device Configuration dialog box, click the General tab, and change the Nickname to wlan0.
  19. Click the Wireless Settings tab.
  20. Click Specified and manually enter your wireless access point name (SSID).
  21. Enter your WEP key in the Key field.
    (Don't forget to add a 0x for Hex WEP keys.)
  22. Click OK to close the Wireless Device Configuration dialog box.
  23. Back at the Network Configuration control panel, click File --> Save from the menu bar and click OK.
  24. Now, click the Activate button.
  25. Close the Network Configuration control panel.
  26. Wireless networking is now configured and functional.

Scenario 3: Using WICD

NOTE: This works with WPA as well as WEP. Also - I find it works best if you delete all your network connections in the Network Configuration control panel before using this tool.

1. Start wicd manager (In E17 --> Applications --> Internet --> Wicd Network Manager (Network Manager))
  2. Choose your wireless access point from the list of networks and click the triangle next to the access point name.
  3. Check Automatically connect to this network.
  4. Click Advanced Settings.
  5. In the resultant Advanced Settings dialog box, check Use Encryption.
  6. Select the appropriate encryption type from the pull down menu.
  7. Enter your access point key in the Key field.
    (You will not need a 0x prefix for hex keys with Wicd)
  8. Click OK to close the Advanced Settings dialog box.
  9. Click Connect.

NOTE: This did not work for me at first. I would get stuck on an "Obtaining IP Address" step. However - since I have a stock YDL 6.1 installation, I applied this v1.5.3 patch from this post:
download/file.php?id=78
and wicd seems to be working. Detailed - step by step - instructions on applying this patch are here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534#p24084

UPDATE: This patch does not appear to be necessary for YDL 6.2. Do not apply it unless you install an alternate version of wicd - it is our understanding that it will break the wicd that ships with YDL 6.2.

NOTE: Also - I did run into the "Can't start wicd manager" issue. It was resolved by following the steps in this post
http://us.fixstars.com/support/advisories.shtml
with the exception of sudo. sudo is not set up on YDL systems by default. Instead, use su -l for that step.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wireless tips and tricks for YDL 6.1

Postby Luke » 13 Jan 2009, 22:48

THANK you for posting this, after having issues with 6.0 keeping settings and having to de-activate then re-activate i got fed up. installed 6.1 this morning and keep getting the unable to ubtain ip error. tried to get to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and it said no directory, so I said F it and re-installed with your guide and now it works great, no more having to turn it on every time i want to boot up.
Luke
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Skatox » 17 Jan 2009, 15:26

Thanks bro!!! Finally i've a WEP Wireless conecction on my PS3 :D
Visit http://www.skatox.com my blog about Gnu/Linux, Playstation 3, Java, Windows, MacOs, Internet, Hacking and more...
Skatox
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby z1ppymat » 25 Jan 2009, 11:33

ok im going to try the wpa bit but can you please guide me through the who installing the patch bit ive saved the file on usb and will be plugging it into my ps3 now im a noob a thick noob what do i do from here ?? thanks and sorry for all the agro lol
z1ppymat
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 25 Jan 2009, 23:39

z1ppymat wrote:ok im going to try the wpa bit but can you please guide me through the who installing the patch bit ive saved the file on usb and will be plugging it into my ps3 now im a noob a thick noob what do i do from here ?? thanks and sorry for all the agro lol

Okay - so the original post viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4416#p22368 was pretty clear, but I'll add some comments:

Instructions: (YDL 6.1 specific, your mileage may vary)

Step 1: Download the file appropriate for your wicd version.

wicd v1.5.3 wnettools.py.tar.gz

You want this one - I'm assuming you have a stock 6.1 installation.

Step 2: Extract the modified wnettools.py from the .tar.gz archive

The easiest way to do this is to double click on the downloaded file - and extract the contents to your desktop

Step 3: Backup your current wnettools.py located in /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd/ so that you can restore it should my fix not help you or you decide to apply a later patch. Else you face the daunting task of reinstallation.

Now - to do this, you'll have to be root user. Open up a terminal window - you'll find it on the menu bar - and type this command, followed by the Enter key:

su

It will prompt you for your root password. Next, from the same terminal window, do this:

cd /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd
cp wnettools.py wnettools.py.backup

Step 4: Copy the modified wnettools.py to /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd/ and overwrite the existing file that you backed up in Step 3. (root access is required for this step, so either do this logged in as root, or go su yourself in terminal)

By modified wnettools.py, he means the file you extracted. If you extracted the file to your desktop, then the command line would be:

cp /home/your login name/Desktop/wnettools.py /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd

Where you replace your login name with your actual login name.

So - if I login with the name "bart", the command would be
cp /home/bart/Desktop/wnettools.py /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd

NOTE: If you use root for everything - you haven't set up a standard user account - you'll use /root instead of /home/login directory . (i.e. cp /root/Desktop/wnettools.py /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd ) You will need to set up a standard user account - it's a Linux safety feature. See here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3404&p=14110#p14110

If you type everything correctly, it will ask you to overwrite - go ahead.

Step 5: Reboot

That's it.

Also - at the very top of the Playstation 3 forum is this permanent thread:
Please READ ME FIRST (known issues, useful links, and help)

You'll want to bookmark that. Inside that post is a series of links for Linux basics. Look for the New to Linux and need more general info? Here are some links to sites with helpful articles and forums: section.

Have fun!

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby z1ppymat » 25 Jan 2009, 23:52

thankyou sooooooo much im trying this now and will let you know how i get on thanks again
z1ppymat
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 26 Jan 2009, 00:04

z1ppymat wrote:thankyou sooooooo much im trying this now and will let you know how i get on thanks again

I've edited it a little - but I'm done now. :D

There was a lot of material to cover. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby z1ppymat » 26 Jan 2009, 01:50

right okso setting up a user i did my name (mat) and pasword but asks you root pasword 1st on instalation right? i used same pasword for my user account to so is that ok? i tryed this all 1st and rebooted i think i did it right well it said overright and i typed y and enter then rebooted it all started up and couldnt find no connection on bootup for ethO nor wlanO so wet staight into network manager and an error came up causing it not to open ive now resulted in a reinstalation to try again i get back to you i will create another account on logon for the su as much as this is giving me a headache im determind to get this going i carnt be the only person in the univese who canot get this going
z1ppymat
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 26 Jan 2009, 02:10

z1ppymat wrote:right okso setting up a user i did my name (mat) and pasword but asks you root pasword 1st on instalation right? i used same pasword for my user account to so is that ok?

No - that's probably not such a great idea. You should use a different password just to be sure.

z1ppymat wrote:i tryed this all 1st and rebooted i think i did it right well it said overright and i typed y and enter then rebooted it all started up and couldnt find no connection on bootup for ethO nor wlanO so wet staight into network manager

Just to make sure - you're using the wicd manager right? If you're using the default YDL desktop (aka E17), then you find that in the (YDL ICON) --> Applications --> Internet --> Wicd network manager.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby z1ppymat » 26 Jan 2009, 02:56

YOU BEAUTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM ON YELLOWDOG NOW WRITING THIS IM CHUFFED TO BIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWSOME THANKYOU FOR YOUR HELP thats magic now i can grow back my hair i pulled out and be at ease thankyou so much for your help and everyone elses and sorry for the headaches WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
z1ppymat
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby pablo » 29 Jan 2009, 06:58

I get connected without a problem with WEP, however after about 5-10 minute of inactivity I get disconnected. Everything shows Active and connected, but I have no connectivity to internet or to my router. Once I go to Network properties and De-Activate the wireless card and re-activate it, it returns to normal-- until I stay idle for a few minutes, where it disconnects again.
Running YDL 6.1 on Image 80GB PS3 Model: CECHE01 *Add your Model # / [GNOME] / Game OS 2.60
List of my Sony Stuff, Still not a fanboy.
pablo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 29 Jan 2009, 07:10

pablo wrote:I get connected without a problem with WEP, however after about 5-10 minute of inactivity I get disconnected. Everything shows Active and connected, but I have no connectivity to internet or to my router. Once I go to Network properties and De-Activate the wireless card and re-activate it, it returns to normal-- until I stay idle for a few minutes, where it disconnects again.

Most likely that's a router issue, not YDL. What make and model router do you have?

Also - in the Wireless configuration, are you using Auto, Master, etc.? If there's a number of Wireless access points in your area with the same name, it might be getting confused. You might try setting it to Master, if you haven't already.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pablo » 29 Jan 2009, 15:39

It is Master. At the same time I am using my other laptop, which works perfectly fine on same router, and I also leave it inactive for a long period of time, but it never goes offline or loses connectivity. The thing seems to be still connected to that router, however it just stops transmitting/receiving until I deactivate.

I wonder if it would help if I uninstalled Network Manager tool. I shut it down anyway, and I don't use it, because that thing never connects at all.
Running YDL 6.1 on Image 80GB PS3 Model: CECHE01 *Add your Model # / [GNOME] / Game OS 2.60
List of my Sony Stuff, Still not a fanboy.
pablo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby slemiz » 11 Feb 2009, 06:53

Thanks!

I'm using stock 6.1 so I applied the 1.5.3 file, and now I have internet access :-P

Oh yeah! 8)
slemiz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Smoke me a Kipper » 12 Feb 2009, 16:00

anyone got an easy tut for updating the WICD to 1.5.8? i cant find a simplified one easy enough for a noob like me to understand.

my 1.5.3 keeps corrupting when i try to open to adjust the WPA settings etc?

can anyone help? ive tried a search.
Smoke me a Kipper
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Next

Return to Playstation 3