Wireless tips and tricks for YDL 6.1

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: Wireless tips and tricks for YDL 6.1

Postby Smoke me a Kipper » 12 Feb 2009, 16:02

this worked for me at the start but my WICD is flaking and wont open at all now....
Smoke me a Kipper
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby zeinoonm » 13 Feb 2009, 00:19

My wicd was crashing so I did the following change to wicd per the recommendations and rebooted:
Change 'signal_display_type = False' to 'signal_display_type = 0'

The wicd worked initially. Then i applied the patch for wicd 1.53 and it applied succesfully
Rebooted the PS3 and tried to access wicd... corrupted. Giving me the same error messgae as before.

I tried to change the signal_display_type form false to 0 again, but i found it was already set to 0. I changed it anyway to 0 hoping to get the wicd to work again, i rebooted but the wicd won't start.
Man, this is so frustrating, i really want wireless on my PS3!!!!
Any suggestions?
zeinoonm
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 13 Feb 2009, 00:52

zeinoonm wrote:My wicd was crashing so I did the following change to wicd per the recommendations and rebooted:

The wicd worked initially. Then i applied the patch for wicd 1.53 and it applied succesfully
Rebooted the PS3 and tried to access wicd... corrupted. Giving me the same error messgae as before.

I tried to change the signal_display_type form false to 0 again, but i found it was already set to 0. I changed it anyway to 0 hoping to get the wicd to work again, i rebooted but the wicd won't start.
Any suggestions?

Can you try the older patch? Perhaps there's an issue with the new fix.

It looks like the old patch has been removed. It might still be on my PS3 - I'll post it to this thread when I get home.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Smoke me a Kipper » 13 Feb 2009, 14:26

im displaying exactely the same symptoms zeinoom :(

seems this isnt isolated.... im using the 1.5.3 and its matching patch, still getting corrupted WICD, and the fixstar fix doesnt work as false already set to '0' from the previous try.

once again would updating to 1.5.8 help and can some one point me in the direction of a how to for a ydl dummy?

cheers
Smoke me a Kipper
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 13 Feb 2009, 18:13

It turns out my old copy of the patch is on my other PS3 hard drive. I won't get a chance to install that drive until later tonight.

In the meantime, I'll post on the other thread, and see if Sun can temporarily re-upload his old version.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Smoke me a Kipper » 15 Feb 2009, 03:41

ive got wicd working now but its stuck on generating PSK :(

any ideas?
Smoke me a Kipper
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 15 Feb 2009, 10:22

Smoke me a Kipper wrote:ive got wicd working now but its stuck on generating PSK :(

any ideas?

Sorry - no - you know about as much as I do about WICD at this point.

Since I have a WEP network, I only use the normal Network Configuration panel. I don't even have WICD installed on my normal YDL hard drive - only on my experimental installation drive. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Efaustus9 » 15 Feb 2009, 20:45

How did you remove wicd from ydl 6.1 and have the system functionally use the old network manager. I installed 6.1 but I am having issues with networking. I use a wired connection which required no config in 6.0. Right now I am trying to use the 6.0 install disk as a repository and remove network related apps from the current 6.1 install then use the 6.0 disk to install the old versions. I have a connection but for some reason it is VERY slow.
SKU: CECHB01 PS3 (20GB) upgraded to 60GB HD.
YDL Killed by Firmware 3.30 but linux on my HDTV lives on!
http://tinyurl.com/2dcujby
Samsung LN-S4041D 40"
Efaustus9

Postby ppietro » 16 Feb 2009, 07:20

Efaustus9 wrote:How did you remove wicd from ydl 6.1 and have the system functionally use the old network manager.

YDL 6.1 still has the "old" network manager installed. It's updated from YDL 6.0, though.

As for removing wicd, I just used Add/Remove Software under the List tab. Unchecked wicd and it was gone.

You might need to set the old network to start if it's been turned off.

From a terminal window as root user:
chkconfig network on
service network start

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 16 Feb 2009, 08:13

Okay folks - those who are having wicd problems after the patch - try this older patch:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4416&p=25345#p25316

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 16 Feb 2009, 08:14

zeinoonm wrote:My wicd was crashing so I did the following change to wicd per the recommendations and rebooted:

Any suggestions?

Try the older patch:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4416&p=25345#p25316
and let us know what happens.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeathclifFlowen » 17 Feb 2009, 04:19

Hey, I can't get this to work, I recently got a new internal Hard Drive for my PS3 and went ahead and moved up from 6.0 to 6.1 when I was installing it. I can't get this wireless thing to work, at all. I did everything in Scenario 2/editing eth0 scripts but that didn't work, which didn't surprise me because it seems like a similar process to the "Warpspeed optimised kernal" thing and that never worked for me.

tried the wcid thing but it didn't work, installed the patch but it wouldn't open wcid anymore so I tried changing the signal type but the f'ing conf file is blank.

Should I even care to continue with this nonsense or just go back to 6.0 where I know things work?
HeathclifFlowen
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 17 Feb 2009, 05:35

HeathclifFlowen wrote:Hey, I can't get this to work, I recently got a new internal Hard Drive for my PS3 and went ahead and moved up from 6.0 to 6.1 when I was installing it. I can't get this wireless thing to work, at all. I did everything in Scenario 2/editing eth0 scripts but that didn't work, which didn't surprise me because it seems like a similar process to the "Warpspeed optimised kernal" thing and that never worked for me.

tried the wcid thing but it didn't work, installed the patch but it wouldn't open wcid anymore so I tried changing the signal type but the f'ing conf file is blank.

Should I even care to continue with this nonsense or just go back to 6.0 where I know things work?

You may not have updated your kernel correctly.

What's the output of this command?

uname -a

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HeathclifFlowen » 17 Feb 2009, 05:50

2.6.27-1.ydl61.4 #1
ppc 64 ppc 64 ppc 64 GNU/linux
HeathclifFlowen
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 17 Feb 2009, 06:03

HeathclifFlowen wrote:2.6.27-1.ydl61.4 #1
ppc 64 ppc 64 ppc 64 GNU/linux

Okay - your kernel looks good.

I have another question. Are you trying to use the old networking and wicd at the same time? From what I can tell, that doesn't work.

If you use wicd, you have to delete everything in the old Network configuration panel. If you use the old Network configuration panel, you should undo all of your edits in wicd.

If worse comes to worse, you can always uninstall wicd, and revert back to standard networking.

Wicd is new to YDL and it - obviously - has some issues. I got it to work - but I don't use it, since I have a WEP network, and the old version works just fine for me.

I'll hook up wicd again and try the latest patch. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3