Wireless tips and tricks for YDL 6.1

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: Wireless tips and tricks for YDL 6.1

Postby ppietro » 28 May 2009, 21:37

AmaiWana wrote:i done everything what was in 5th post and that 'Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 6' post's first post (getting error coz no inernet connection, hmm, maybe this is not related to this proplem...).

So - if you did everything that was in the 5th post - you're not getting the wnettools.py error anymore, right?

Also - yes - if you don't have an internet connection, the "Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 6" won't work. It requires an internet connection.

i read something about deleting network devices in network setting place, i must delete them, eth0 and wlan0, to use wicd correctly? is it causing error? last time when i deleted them, i re-installed ydl coz i didnt know how to get them back.

Yes

If WEP key isnt right, thats why wicd dont obtain IP adress?

Yes.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AmaiWana » 29 May 2009, 06:29

O___o ookay, i try...

Later: I deleted eth0 and wlan0 from network control place, but wicd dont still work, still getting stuck on obtaining IP adress... I think proplem is now that WEP key. I looked ps3's network list place and there i saw 'wpa-psk (TKIP)' and after that '**....', i tried to search that when put WEP key but it wasnt there?
lost in yellow dog.... it ate me.... :/
AmaiWana
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 31 May 2009, 10:25

AmaiWana wrote:O___o ookay, i try...

Later: I deleted eth0 and wlan0 from network control place, but wicd dont still work, still getting stuck on obtaining IP adress... I think proplem is now that WEP key. I looked ps3's network list place and there i saw 'wpa-psk (TKIP)' and after that '**....', i tried to search that when put WEP key but it wasnt there?

Sorry - I didn't see your update. If you edit your posts - I don't get notified. I'm only notified when you post new ones.

So - wireless access points can use different forms of encryption. One of the most popular is WEP - either using an ASCII password, or a string of HEX number digits. Unfortunately - it's not very secure anymore. A stronger encryption is WPA. WPA comes in a number of different forms.

It sounds like your wireless network is using wpa-psk (TKIP). You can't change the network encryption type from your PS3 Network List place - that only tells you what your wireless access point is set to. You would have to change that on your wireless router directly - usually by connecting directly to the wireless router with an Ethernet cable and browsing to the internal interface.

Therefore, since you can't change your encryption, in scenario 3 in the first post in this thread - for step 6: "Select the appropriate encryption type" - you need to select "WPA 1/2 (Passphrase)" for YDL.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. If that doesn't work, try WPA 1/2 (Preshared Key).
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AmaiWana » 02 Jun 2009, 09:20

hmm, okeyh. I didnt find my WEP key, so i ask, if i put wired connection, do i need WEP key to use it?
AmaiWana
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 02 Jun 2009, 17:40

AmaiWana wrote:hmm, okeyh. I didnt find my WEP key, so i ask, if i put wired connection, do i need WEP key to use it?

If you read my post above, based on what your PS3 is telling me, I've pretty much figured out you're using WPA, not WEP. I then provided instructions on how to set wicd accordingly. You would not use a WEP key with WPA. You would use a WPA passphrase or pre-shared key.

Do you not know the password for your wireless? Or are you using someone elses connection?

Passwords are generally only required for wireless - wired probably doesn't need it.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AmaiWana » 04 Jun 2009, 08:49

no i dont know key, its lost...
no, im trying use my own wireless and thats only wireless here around.
Maybe i have to buy ethernetcabel to get connection :/
AmaiWana
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 04 Jun 2009, 10:10

AmaiWana wrote:no i dont know key, its lost...
no, im trying use my own wireless and thats only wireless here around.
Maybe i have to buy ethernetcabel to get connection :/

If you don't know the key - you can't connect wirelessly - simple as that.

If you can't find the key, then there's two things that come to mind that you can try.

First thing is to get an Ethernet cable and only use hardwired connections for your PS3.

Second thing is - if you have a fairly normal Wireless Access Point - you should be able to use the PS3's GameOS web browser to configure your access point and either read or reset the key. To do this, you would web browse to the Gateway IP address that's been assigned to your PS3 - that's usually where the wireless access point's configuration web server is located.

At this point - there isn't much more I can do to help you. If you remember your key, and have follow-up questions, let us know.

Otherwise, best of luck! :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AmaiWana » 07 Jun 2009, 18:37

thx for help ^^

But i chose to buy ethernet cabel, i cant find that key anywhere and i tried your help.
Now it is working ^_^
AmaiWana
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 08 Jun 2009, 03:15

AmaiWana wrote:thx for help ^^

But i chose to buy ethernet cabel, i cant find that key anywhere and i tried your help.
Now it is working ^_^

At some point, you'll have to figure out how to configure your Wireless Access Point. That's where your key is stored.

Without the key you cannot connect any new devices to your Wireless.

If you don't mind me asking, who makes your Wireless Access Point? If it's a D-Link, I can probably help you find it.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AmaiWana » 09 Jun 2009, 16:53

o.O yeah, forgot that one, if i buy psp i cant get it online...

yep, its D-link.
AmaiWana
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby almania69 » 19 Aug 2009, 22:54

i did the scenario 2: but it wont let me edit the wireless entry. it tells me that it cant be edited. how do i edit the inactive wireless entry then?
almania69
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 19 Aug 2009, 23:17

almania69 wrote:i did the scenario 2: but it wont let me edit the wireless entry. it tells me that it cant be edited. how do i edit the inactive wireless entry then?

You need to be root user. Then you can edit it.

You can use the su command to become root. That would be step 9 in Scenario 2.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kubilay » 17 Oct 2009, 09:00

hi there, i m a newbe and im trying community patch.
when i type in cd /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd
i get ^no such a file^
and while i m rebooting when it starts up daemon it says dnsn daemon fail ,router daemon fail.
Do you have an idea what is going on.
kubilay
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 18 Oct 2009, 19:28

kubilay wrote:hi there, i m a newbe and im trying community patch.
when i type in cd /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd
i get ^no such a file^
and while i m rebooting when it starts up daemon it says dnsn daemon fail ,router daemon fail.
Do you have an idea what is going on.

Nope. To start - which version of YDL are you running.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Scudreloaded » 24 Dec 2009, 07:03

Has yellow dog 6.2 fixed any of the wireless issues yet? I have tried mutliple times with 6.1 and such and gave up hope a long time ago. I either need to buy a router it can read or give up entirely
Scudreloaded
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3