Wireless tips and tricks for YDL 6.1

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: Wireless tips and tricks for YDL 6.1

Postby spykez » 24 Dec 2009, 13:28

Scudreloaded wrote:Has yellow dog 6.2 fixed any of the wireless issues yet? I have tried mutliple times with 6.1 and such and gave up hope a long time ago. I either need to buy a router it can read or give up entirely

You could try to see if you can run a wired connection! :)

My 2 cents as mine is wired - I've never tried wifi with the ps3 as my box is so close to my router but your setup may not be as convenient.

Happy Christmas,

Rob
spykez
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 24 Dec 2009, 19:18

Scudreloaded wrote:Has yellow dog 6.2 fixed any of the wireless issues yet? I have tried mutliple times with 6.1 and such and gave up hope a long time ago. I either need to buy a router it can read or give up entirely

Yes - the version of wicd is much more stable.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PSFunker » 05 Jan 2010, 19:44

This solution worked as a charm for me. I have the YDL 6.1 and a WIFI network with Netgear router WPN824 and WPA2 security config.

Did remove network devices
Did install the patch
... and now I'm suring

Fantastic!
PSFunker
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby poshpix » 24 Jan 2010, 19:23

I'm new to Linux and spent a frustrating day trying to get XUbuntu to work on my 80GB PS3 - and gave up and switched to YDL. I installed 6.1 (following Softpedia, tweaktown and your own brilliant and helpful posts) and initially had Wireless working - then not, after I updated the software on the installed YDL 6.1 the wireless link then ceased to connect.

I then spend an amazing amount of time getting Wireless back again (using your posted scenarios) and went to bed last night totally pleased and relieved (and vowing to leave you a "thank you" :D post). Pity then :| that when I booted up this morning (after watching a movie on the PS3 OS - "Crazy Heart" - recommended!) the connection had been dropped and I felt I was back to square one. I did go to Network Configuration and tried to reconnect but when I try to make the wlan0 active I get the message:

Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8806): SET failed on device wlan0; Operation not supported.
Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8804): SET failed on device wlan0; Operation not supported.
Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8820): SET failed on devive wlan0; Operation not supported.

Determining IP information for wlan0... failed

It's not the first time I've seen this!!!!

I have followed both your Scenario 2 and Scenario 3 since one without the other didn't seem to work - and got the wireless working last night. So I assume that by rebooting, something is being changed. I have also followed your advice on the wicd patch: v1.5.3 - download/file.php?id=78

What am I doing wrong? And would I be advised to download YDL 6.2 and reinstall - I'm downloading that anyway from the Softpedia site - since it takes ages. Is 6.2 more likely to avoid the Wireless problems? (Posts do suggest that this is the case.)

So far I love the YDL set up - and deeply want it to work. My other option is to give up on Wireless and simply stick an Ethernet connection in the back. It seems defeatist since it means quite a bit of reorganizing my set up to do this - but at the moment I'm not cracking this!!

Help!?! Thanks for all your great work. Hope to hear back from you. :P
poshpix
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 24 Jan 2010, 21:22

poshpix wrote: the connection had been dropped and I felt I was back to square one. I did go to Network Configuration and tried to reconnect but when I try to make the wlan0 active I get the message:

Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8806): SET failed on device wlan0; Operation not supported.
Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8804): SET failed on device wlan0; Operation not supported.
Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8820): SET failed on devive wlan0; Operation not supported.

It's not the first time I've seen this!!!!

So - this is more like theory on my part, but let me explain.

I normally use a D-Link Wireless access point. It works great. I also have a wireless access point built into my ActionTec DSL. It doesn't work great - specifically I have to manually set my IP Address, Gateway Address, subnet mask and DNS servers.

Lately, due to frequency overcrowding, I installed a new Airlink access point. Guess what - I started getting the same problem you're describing. I'd mess around with it a bit, and it would work, but when I'd reboot - nothing.

Eventually, I figured out that it's having the same issues as the ActionTec with the Airlink's built-in DHCP server.

So - here's what I'd do. I'd go ahead and set your IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway IP address, and DNS server(s) manually. Don't let Linux obtain the information from DHCP. You can use the same information that the PS3 uses in the GameOS.

Also - yes - if you're using Wicd on 6.1 and you update, you might have to re-apply the patch. It can't hurt to do that anyway.

Finally - 6.2 would make it so you don't have to apply the patch - but it may or may not solve this issue.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. See all those errors you're getting? Specifically these?

Don't worry - those are actually normal. When YDL incorporated wicd support in 6.1, they disabled some of the old wireless networking "hooks" - that's what causes those messages. I see those too, in other words. The key error we're looking at is this:

Assuming you've got correct authentication - encryption type, key length, password, etc. - then this means that Linux isn't talking to the DHCP server correctly.
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bropee1 » 26 Jan 2010, 03:15

Hello. I have been using linux for awhile and have had problems with wifi before between different brands of linux and this 6.1 on my ps3 has got me lost. I love ydl, but I still can't get wifi. I have done all of the steps and reinstalled 6.1 four times now and still no change. I still can't obtain IP address. I have imputed my wep passphrase and tried everything. There has to be something wrong. I have tried the old patch and still nothing. I feel like roger rabbit stuck in a corner. there must be a fast fix for this. I can say that I am a long time listener and first time caller...lol. Please help and thank you in advance.

PS: I have put in the commands in correctly and have tried every possible option short of plugging a 100 foot ethernet cable up to my PS3. :? And now I have no wicd network manager. Just an error page. How to fix this? I have 1.5.3 still.
Last edited by bropee1 on 26 Jan 2010, 03:35, edited 1 time in total.
bropee1
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 26 Jan 2010, 03:19

bropee1 wrote:Hello. I have been using linux for awhile and have had problems with wifi before between different brands of linux and this 6.1 on my ps3 has got me lost. I love ydl, but I still can't get wifi. I have done all of the steps and reinstalled 6.1 four times now and still no change. I still can't obtain IP address. I have imputed my wep passphrase and tried everything. There has to be something wrong. I have tried the old patch and still nothing. I feel like roger rabbit stuck in a corner. there must be a fast fix for this. I can say that I am a long time listener and first time caller...lol. Please help and thank you in advance.

PS: I have put in the commands in correctly and have tried every possible option short of plugging a 100 foot ethernet cable up to my PS3. :?

If you're sure you have the encryption set correctly, and you understand the procedure, try turning off DHCP and inputting the IP Address, Subnet mask, Gateway Address & DNS Server(s) manually.

There are issues with Linux networking and incomplete implementations of DHCP on Windows-centric access points. So far, ActionTec and Airlink are the biggest offenders - well at least the two access points that I have. :D On the other hand, D-Link, Netgear and Linksys tend to work without issues.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bropee1 » 26 Jan 2010, 03:43

Thank you for the quick response Paul. I just rebooted and now I have no wicd manager. Just error page now when I click on it. I have to say I am not the best skilled at wifi connection. I am wondering where I can find the IP Address, Subnet mask, Gateway Address & DNS Server(s) to input them. I noticed that from the response before me and now I see what you're talking about. A lot to ask and I want people to use this info for future reference. I really don't know what is going on with my connection. It seems to be all there but somethings is really missing. Thanks again. And I am using netgear.
bropee1
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 26 Jan 2010, 07:13

bropee1 wrote:Thank you for the quick response Paul. I just rebooted and now I have no wicd manager. Just error page now when I click on it.

See here:
http://www.ydl.net/support/advisories.shtml

and look for "If Wicd Network Manager dies after reboot ..."

and - don't forget - if you're using wicd and YDL 6.1, you will definitely have to patch per these instructions:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534#p24084

It won't work without it.

Also - if you're using Netgear, DHCP should work. I would try manual settings only as a last resort.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bropee1 » 27 Jan 2010, 01:44

Hello. Got the WICD manager back. Thank you Paul. But now I am trying to download the patch but after I put in:

cp ~/Desktop/wnettools.py /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd

I get this:

cp: cannot stat '/root/Desktop/wnettools.py'

I have extracted it to the desktop. What is going on here?

Thanks. :D
bropee1
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 27 Jan 2010, 02:00

bropee1 wrote:Hello. Got the WICD manager back. Thank you Paul. But now I am trying to download the patch but after I put in:

cp ~/Desktop/wnettools.py /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd

I get this:

cp: cannot stat '/root/Desktop/wnettools.py'

I have extracted it to the desktop. What is going on here?

Thanks. :D

Did you extract it to a folder on your desktop? You'll have to include that folder name in the first cp argument.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bropee1 » 27 Jan 2010, 02:04

I extracted it right to the desktop. It's right there. :)
bropee1
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 27 Jan 2010, 02:14

bropee1 wrote:I extracted it right to the desktop. It's right there. :)

Do you log in as root by any chance? Or as a standard user?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bropee1 » 27 Jan 2010, 02:19

Yes. I did:

su
(mypassword)

Then I did the back up and then onto this step that I am stuck. I had to use my other pc to go online, which I am using now, which is windows. saved the rar to my flash drive, plugged into ps3 and extracted it to the desktop.the version is 1.5.3 which was modified feb 2009 under properties. :D
bropee1
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 27 Jan 2010, 02:20

ppietro wrote:
bropee1 wrote:I extracted it right to the desktop. It's right there. :)

Do you log in as root by any chance? Or as a standard user?

Cheers,
Paul

Nevermind - I got it. So - although ~ expands to your home directory, it gets over-written, so to speak, by the switch to root command su.

So - you'll have to type it out full:
cp /home/your login name/Desktop/wnettools.py /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd

where your login name is the name you login with, e.g. dude, paulp, etc.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. I had written it the long way originally when somebody suggested the "~" to simplify the instructions. I'll revert it back out of that post. :D
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3