What do you use your YDL PS3 for?

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

What do you use your YDL PS3 for?

Postby moveright » 09 Feb 2009, 17:11

I installed it mainly to watch tv and play emulators. Is there a lot more to it than that? originally I was going to build a windows PC to be a DVR and general media server but I already have a PS3 and found YDL so I am giving it a shot.

What does everyone here do with theirs?
moveright
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: What do you use your YDL PS3 for?

Postby billb » 09 Feb 2009, 17:24

I want to say I use mine for games mostly, but find myself getting games or emulators working, keeping them updated, and looking for more things to try than I actually play with them. :lol: As long as I'm enjoying it, right?

More recently, I've started to watch movies & TV episodes and dabble in Python + Pygame programming.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby moveright » 09 Feb 2009, 17:27

billb wrote:I want to say I use mine for games mostly, but find myself getting games or emulators working, keeping them updated, and looking for more things to try than I actually play with them. :lol: As long as I'm enjoying it, right?

More recently, I've started to watch movies & TV episodes and dabble in Python + Pygame programming.

what games do you play? you mean NES, SNES, etc?

also, how do you watch TV on it? what do you use? I'm a bit new at this but free TV is the best TV.
moveright
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 09 Feb 2009, 18:29

moveright wrote:what games do you play? you mean NES, SNES, etc?

As I said before, I really don't play them as much as I could ... just getting them up and running is usually what I do. Occasionally I'll stop and play for a bit, though. NES, SNES, Sega Master System, Genesis, Amiga, C-64, arcade games, older PC games on DOSBox, some Windows games, and so on ... and there are some native Linux games that run well -- early FPS games like Quake II + addons, Doom 1 & 2, Duke 3D, Descent II, Hexen II, Heretic, AlephOne and mods. I really don't have time to play them all, you know?

also, how do you watch TV on it? what do you use? I'm a bit new at this but free TV is the best TV.

I'm watching TV episodes or movies directly from files on my hard drive or shared on my local network. How they got there is an entirely different subject. :wink:
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby drady » 09 Feb 2009, 22:25

TV detail?
40gb PS3 (FW 2.60) - 42" Phillips LCD, Yamaha Home theatre - 320gb int HDD/1TB ext HDD. HP HPC2400 printer.
Ortek all-in-one keyboard/mouse(usb) - Yellowdog 6.1 - Very much a newbie, thanks for your patience and support.
drady
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby bonedome » 09 Feb 2009, 23:18

Hello
time for googling methinks, lately I've been watching the episodes of the first series of lost I missed 8)
Type something like "download tv shows" in google, next thing you know it's 3am and you've got work in a couple of hours :lol:
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby BenM » 09 Feb 2009, 23:45

I would have to second BillB. My intent is retro games (SNES, DOS, etc.) but I find myself fiddling with the emulators (and FluxBox) and enjoying it just as much.

I've also ended up doing some Eclipse based work when I have to work late at night to change my focal distance by using my big LCD TV rather than my workstation monitors. Plus there is a bonus that spilling my nightly shot of Irish has a lot less risk on a coach or easy chair rather than over an open paneled workstation!
BenM
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby uncholowapo » 10 Feb 2009, 00:26

I use YDL for fun. It was my first distro into linux and is still a favorite. Plus I brag about it to my friends. :wink:

If I am not on YDL I am on Warhawk or CoD4 "pwning" the "n00bz". 8)
PS3 40GB has YDL 6.1 running 480i on a piece of $#!% Sanyo 24 incher. Need to go to 1080p.
uncholowapo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 10 Feb 2009, 01:25

Hiya!

I basically use my YDL PS3 for surfing the web, checking my work e-mail via Remote Desktop, messing around with Java and as a reference for my answers here in the forums.

Currently, I'm researching QEMU and various alternate modes it can run under. (aka qemu-binfmt)

It's mostly a project box for me - I'm completely bored with x86 based Linuxes. Cell rules! :lol: ;)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Taellik » 10 Feb 2009, 12:23

Wow...a ton of sh*t!

I use YDL on my PS3 ( in no particular order ) :

1) As a JAVA development envrioment along with Eclipse as the IDE. Thanks to ppietro's assistance here on the YDL message board in getting it properly configured with IBM's Java engine. Anyone taking college JAVA classes can use it for their assignments not to mention as a off-site development box.

2) Replacement for Microcraps virus-friendly stuff...I use the free / open source Open Office instead of Microcrap's virus-friendly Office for creating my spreadsheets, word processing, powerpoint, etc. for work.

3) Use the free / open source MySQL database engine instead of Microcrap's virus-friendly Access / SQLServer.

4) Have a web server and the free / open source PHP script language running to create / host dynamically created web pages.

5) Do my personal / gambling / consulting finances using freeware / open source financial software
( Microcrap's Money to quote Donald Trump was "Fired !" ).

6) With DOSBOX, can play the "classic" DOS games that Winblows no longer supports or can run.

Basically, anything I can find to replace Winblows programs with freeware and/or Open Source goes on my PS3 & YDL. About only software thing I've not found a replacement for is the tax reporting programs...bummerz. But "everything" else is running on my PS3 & YDL ! :D

My Winblows PC is gradually losing its staus as the go-to computer, and my PS3 is becoming more the machine of choice to do computing on. And yes, this means I will not be getting Vista, Winblows 7 or whatever else Microcrap tries to cram down the public's throat so long as there is alternative freeware / open source to get and run on the PS3 with YDL ! :lol:

Taellik
PS3 80GB, FW 3.21
EyeToy II
NO YDL 6.2 due to 3.21 firmware upgrade
PSP
PSP Go! Cam
Taellik
ydl addict
ydl addict

Location: Raleigh NC and God's Favorite Nation --> THE United States of America

Postby billb » 10 Feb 2009, 14:31

I like this topic -- stickied. :D
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rblover69 » 11 Feb 2009, 00:17

i use mine as a mini pc, typing up reports, working on spreadsheets typical pc stuff. Its pretty funny when someone comes over my house an they see me streaming vlc shoutcast tv and working on spreadsheets with pidjin on messaging and looking around for the pc tower and they eventually come to realization that everything is connected to the ps3 lmao. Always get the how factor lol. I often use linux when the gameos browser is to lmited and when i basically need to do pc work. And then for entertainment, we boot back. Love this damn thing best console per value i have ever gotten lol. If i could only vid chat with the eye in ydl instead of booting into gameos that would be killer with normal chat clients like skype or whatever native pc clients.
Sony Bravia 37"HDTV
Bravia Sync
Bravia HD 5.1 DTS Theatre

Sony Playstation 3
320GB HD
YDL6.1 Gnome

PSN ID: rblover69

Aim: rblover69
rblover69
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby rblover69 » 11 Feb 2009, 00:21

Taellik wrote:Wow...a ton of sh*t!

I use YDL on my PS3 ( in no particular order ) :

1) As a JAVA development envrioment along with Eclipse as the IDE. Thanks to ppietro's assistance here on the YDL message board in getting it properly configured with IBM's Java engine. Anyone taking college JAVA classes can use it for their assignments not to mention as a off-site development box.

2) Replacement for Microcraps virus-friendly stuff...I use the free / open source Open Office instead of Microcrap's virus-friendly Office for creating my spreadsheets, word processing, powerpoint, etc. for work.

3) Use the free / open source MySQL database engine instead of Microcrap's virus-friendly Access / SQLServer.

4) Have a web server and the free / open source PHP script language running to create / host dynamically created web pages.

5) Do my personal / gambling / consulting finances using freeware / open source financial software
( Microcrap's Money to quote Donald Trump was "Fired !" ).

6) With DOSBOX, can play the "classic" DOS games that Winblows no longer supports or can run.

Basically, anything I can find to replace Winblows programs with freeware and/or Open Source goes on my PS3 & YDL. About only software thing I've not found a replacement for is the tax reporting programs...bummerz. But "everything" else is running on my PS3 & YDL ! :D

My Winblows PC is gradually losing its staus as the go-to computer, and my PS3 is becoming more the machine of choice to do computing on. And yes, this means I will not be getting Vista, Winblows 7 or whatever else Microcrap tries to cram down the public's throat so long as there is alternative freeware / open source to get and run on the PS3 with YDL ! :lol:

Taellik

dude your not lying since i ahve had this in my room as my mini pc and game console, my damn other sony pc has been collecting dust lol. I even DL torrents onto a external HDD. lmao its gotten pretty funny how convience works lol.
Sony Bravia 37"HDTV
Bravia Sync
Bravia HD 5.1 DTS Theatre

Sony Playstation 3
320GB HD
YDL6.1 Gnome

PSN ID: rblover69

Aim: rblover69
rblover69
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby CronoCloud » 11 Feb 2009, 02:37

I use my YDL'd PS3 pretty much the same way I used my PS2 Linux kit before it. Generalized computing stuff, Firefox beats GamOS's Netfront in usability any day, even without the flash support. I read my e-mail of course and do various text and image editing. Cat pictures! I've got a few games on it, via DOSBOX, Java, and the patched version of Nethack I play. And I also use it to learn more about Linux.

Rondelle (Ron) Rogers Jr.
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby zeinoonm » 13 Feb 2009, 00:23

Well i installed YDL 6.1 on my PS3 initially just out of curiosity and maybe for the "geeky" feeling!!
But my only laptop died on my 2 weeks ago. And while i am waiting for HP to ship my new one, YDL is a god send. I am doing all my internet browsing, etc on it. V. Happy.
zeinoonm
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Next

Return to Playstation 3