What do you use your YDL PS3 for?

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: What do you use your YDL PS3 for?

Postby lernatix » 13 Feb 2009, 05:56

I use it as a loungeroom/bedroom PC.
My PC has Ubuntu so I use both machines to learn about linux.
I'm now an accomplished copy and paste-er. :mrgreen:

I can browse the intraweb, (XMB is better at video :evil: )
chat to a few MSN buddies and
emulate most things I want to emulate. (seriously need RSX! :evil: )

Sometimes I download *ahem* filez... :wink:
...and I've been using Gimp for a laugh this week. :lol:

: 60Gb PS3 : 1TB External : YDL 6.1 : Gnome : 42" LCD : Sound Bar : Daytona 675 :
lernatix
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby Noons » 13 Feb 2009, 23:38

Hi, guy's

Here is my contribution

I use my ydl PS3 for: emulators, lots of em :D , streaming tunes via shoutcast; a little name that tune anyone?, downloading movies... legal ones :wink: , browsing the net of course, and lets not forget the ongoing flash substitute battle. :evil:

Regards,
Greg
Fedora core 12; ps3 CECHA01; samsung 720p plasma; kernel 2.6.32
Noons
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ffelagund » 15 Feb 2009, 21:19

I have two PS3, one for gaming and mediacenter and one for server purposes. I'm YLD in my PS3 because its stability (now I workaorunded all my old problems :) and its hardware specific patches. The PS3 is a nice server system. For only 300€ I got a decent machine that:
- Is very quiet (80Gb model)
- Runs the next services flawesly and performant:
- Apache2
- Subversion
- PHP
- CUPS
- MySql
- Samba
- Trac
- Mldonkey
- Mediatomb

Well, for me, is the perfect home/development server :)
And, because I'm programmer, I usually like learn new things, so I have the PS3 for Cell programming too : )

PD: Ah! and when a friend comes to my home, I can show him the IBM's Real Time raytracer! :)
ffelagund
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 17 Feb 2009, 23:10

Lately I've been playing with PPC Mac emulation (Mac OS 8.5) on my PS3 using SheepShaver. Finally got it working, though it's slow because I'm using PPC emulation even though I'm on PPC machine (due to a problem with SheepShaver). It runs fast enough for basic tasks and that worthless "puzzle" game which is included. :P

Been talking about it over here:

http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/bodeg ... ?f=6&t=229
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hughc » 21 Feb 2009, 18:25

My PS3 is my living room as the media center. YDL does OK as a with the Firefox browser, playing music and displaying pictures off my net drive, and even plays shoutcast. I even rented a game once. The PS3 'Grand Turismo Prologue' is a great game.
The PS3 was an evolutionary step from running X on the Wii. It worked but was useless without wireless networking.
hughc
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Jaybps3 » 26 Feb 2009, 18:05

I use it for emulators and such. But more importantly I use it as a linux experiment, To gain experience with linux. I am still new to linux and learning everyday the ps3 has just made it that much more fun for me.
60GB PS3 (CECHA01) upgraded HDD 160gb, 40" Sony Bravia, Ydl 6 and plenty of other goodies :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/jaybps3
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby rask » 28 Feb 2009, 19:53

I originally installed YDL for two reasons. One, being that I wanted to delve into the world of Linux (which I had been meaning to do for the longest time). Secondly, I wanted to install the SNES emulator to play games on my TV. I could have put the games on my laptop, but something about playing on a big TV with the SIXAXIS (conviently with a very SNESesque layout) was very alluring :D. Plus I could put away the old SNES once and for all which was on life support anyways.

Since then, I've had a lot of fun optimizing and tweaking it. I also like watching tv shows, movies and browsing the web. Now, if only I could photoshop to work.
As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a monstrous vermin...
rask
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby CronoCloud » 03 Mar 2009, 02:53

rask wrote:Now, if only I could photoshop to work.

Try using the Gimp. The interface is a bit...different, and it's an old 2.2 version, but it has most of the functionality you will probably need.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby faultyjay » 03 Mar 2009, 22:22

I've had alot of fun trying out YDL. I have been a Buntu geek for the last 2 years. I am still not great at the Linux world but it has become a vital tool for me with the ability to boot Live CDs to recover Microsoft bricked file systems. I just got a Ps3 a few months ago for the Girl Friend. I am a definite old school PC Gamer. Even as a kid I saved allowance money for a under 1megabyte hard drive to play Comm Keen on the old 386. I couldn't just not modify a system. So I started looking around at Ps3 mod sites and found out about the Other OS feature. After trying Ubuntu 8 I was pretty disapointed with the sluggishness and the lack of forum guides to get it optimized.

After taking a chance with Yellow Dog I can say that 1 week after installing YDL 6.1 on my Ps3 I have my Wifi, Sixaxis, Snes, all working great. 50-60 fps. I hope to get VLC going soon so I'm keeping my eye on the VLC thread. Other then that it has been a very delightful experience especially with so much support from these forums.

Thanks to all the great walk throughs and tech guides.
80g PS3 (Upgraded 7200rpm 320g) - 40" Sony Bravia - YDL 6.1
faultyjay
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Aeuniko » 05 Mar 2009, 11:13

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum and also to the world of YDL/Linux.
The reason why I'm using my PS3 and YDL is that I have due to some private reason a little money problem... ;-)
So I had to sell my beloved MacBook (Aluminium one from late october 08) and to use my PS3 instead of it since I recognized that I could do all the things for my requirements with it, too.

After two weeks with YDL I have to say that the PS3 with YDL absolutely fullfills my everyday needs. Sometimes less is more and so I really don't think that I need an expensive Computer like a MacBook or a Windows-PC ever again so long as I can do all my tasks with YDL+PS3 :)

The basic usage of YDL work fine for me, installation went fast and free of errors. After that the IT technician in me went from inside out and I soon started, also thanks to this hilarious people in this forum, to try out some of the great possibilities with YDL!
After a lot of hours in research, try+error and reading through a lot of threads in this forum I've got my YDL 6.1 well configured with Fluxbox, SNES9X, ScummVM, Audacious, Wireless Networking over Wicd and WPA, VLC media player and so on. I've also activated the ps3vram, cleaned up the mess of installed rpms and suited them to fit my needs. Only thing I miss like most of you is a suitable substitution for Flash, but for now I couldn't be happier to sit in front of my 37" philips full hdtv while using YDL 6.1 and try out new things everyday. I love it! :)

If I'm not on YDL then my PS3 is, of course, used for gaming (actually PoP, Killzone 2, Resistance 2 and more...), music playback, watching my photo library and viewing DVD/Blu-ray as well as, *ahem*, DivX movies ;-)

Sorry for this long, first post but after being such a long time passive I had to spread the word :)
Again, THANKS to all the great people in this forum for the help and the gorgeous Tutorials etc.!!

Greetings
Aeuniko
Aeuniko
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Darkseider » 05 Mar 2009, 20:48

To get the chicks! Why else? :lol:
Darkseider
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 07 Mar 2009, 14:46

Darkseider wrote:To get the chicks! Why else? :lol:

Hey we're talking about YDL here, not Playstation Home! :P

"Where are you from?" "How old are you?" "Follow me" ... LOL
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby confused_ydl » 07 Mar 2009, 18:03

billb wrote:
Darkseider wrote:To get the chicks! Why else? :lol:

Hey we're talking about YDL here, not Playstation Home! :P

"Where are you from?" "How old are you?" "Follow me" ... LOL

lmao!

hello everyone!

I'm very new to linux but am learning fast. i put linux on my ps3 to play snes and learn about linux. i find myself more trying to do completely abstract things just to say i can do this on my ps3 however!:D i've officially gotten youtube working with totem, bluetooth controllers for snes9x, fluxbox working, and a dozen other things. i read something about building to the latest kernel and installing a driver for the ps3 eye to work. if someone can help i'd appreciate it and i also am trying to get amsn installed, but am having trouble figuring out how to install .package file. i'm mainly working on trying to my external drive to be recognized as part of the system. so i'm a busy guy! and i'm a nerd! lol. any help woul be appreciated. thnx!

bill
80gb motorstorm bundle ps3 with 4 usb and media ports
500gb external drive
26" LCD sony TV 1080i
confused_ydl
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby Taellik » 09 Mar 2009, 21:16

billb wrote:"Where are you from?" "How old are you?" "Follow me" ... LOL

Gee Mister, I don't talk to strangers giving candy . . . . :lol:

Taellik
PS3 80GB, FW 3.21
EyeToy II
NO YDL 6.2 due to 3.21 firmware upgrade
PSP
PSP Go! Cam
Taellik
ydl addict
ydl addict

Location: Raleigh NC and God's Favorite Nation --> THE United States of America

Postby grifter1462 » 14 Mar 2009, 03:10

I installed it mainly for emulators.

I currently use: SDLMame, Mednafen, and Scummvm.
grifter1462
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3