What do you use your YDL PS3 for?

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: What do you use your YDL PS3 for?

Postby ppietro » 20 Jan 2010, 20:27

Starman535 wrote:The PS-3 is a 160 Gb model that seems dog slow under YDL, but very fast in the GameOS. I don't know how much of that is caused by the slow disk, and how much is the lack of memory.

Just FYI: Most of the slowdown is caused directly by the Cell and by the framebuffer display.

Linux doesn't understand the unique multi-core architecture of the Cell, since it was designed around x86 processors. Unlike x86-family multi-core processors, where each of the cores run the same instruction set, the Cell has two separate architectures for the seven cores - one PPE and six SPEs. The PPE and SPEs are not binary compatible - therefore, Linux only runs on the PPE. The PPE, which is normally used to set up the SPEs for games, is a moderately fast, single core, dual threaded, in-order execution PowerPC processor.

In addition, the PS3 uses a simple framebuffer display. There is no 2D or 3D acceleration - the CPU has to draw every pixel you see. Since the PPE isn't incredibly fast, this slows it down even more. The nVidia RSX chip - which the GameOS uses directly - is abstracted into a framebuffer display by the Linux hypervisor.

We've found that improvements to hard discs and memory optimization techniques can help - but aren't panaceas.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chief101 » 09 Feb 2010, 07:57

hi everyone
i use ydl 6.2 for surfing the web, use pidgin to chat with my friends on myspice :lol: while doing research,watching youtube videos, playing retro games (nes,gb,snes etc.) oh especially dosbox :) i use it as my main computer since my custom gaming pc went out since im not going to repair it anytime soon. i say with ydl on the ps3 phat! rocks! :D but too bad my dont have ps2 compatibility :(

but im a happy camper :)
PlayStation 3 40GB FW 3.15 ( upgraded to Seagate Momentus 160GB 5400 rpm 8mb cache )
YDL 6.2 Xfce 4 with hdmi using video mode# 11
Emerson 19" 720P
4-port usb hub
Love playing FallOut 3 cant wait for Fallout: New Vegas to come out :)
Chief101
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby morgan » 11 Feb 2010, 14:31

hey, peeps
im just like billb i like to mess around with emulators and then never actualy play em, lol, i havnt got much knoledge and am still learning its all about doin it for the challenge and seeing what linux is capable of on ps3 i think. but i do use it for live messaging and browsing and looking on these forums for new things to try, like i am learning about compiling and managed to get gnash working for youtube using a brilliant guide on here, and had to compile that, thats the first thing i successfully compiled every other time ive tried even though i follow the steps to the t theres allways some missing thing, so still learning, i do play the emulators sometimes though not much, snes9x is a favourite, most others seem to allways give me problems, like mame likes to log me out after every game,
morgan
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby mooretrust » 22 Feb 2010, 18:48

I use my PS3 for all my basic internet needs now that i have ydl on it: downloads, email, music(its just like a normal computer its crazy. Im really using it because its a PS3 and i can do alot of stuff my normal laptop can do.
mooretrust
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ACEFOMIQUZ » 27 Apr 2010, 10:53

ppietro wrote:
Starman535 wrote:The PS-3 is a 160 Gb model that seems dog slow under YDL, but very fast in the GameOS. I don't know how much of that is caused by the slow disk, and how much is the lack of memory.

Just FYI: Most of the slowdown is caused directly by the Cell and by the framebuffer display.

Linux doesn't understand the unique multi-core architecture of the Cell, since it was designed around x86 processors. Unlike x86-family multi-core processors, where each of the cores run the same instruction set, the Cell has two separate architectures for the seven cores - one PPE and six SPEs. The PPE and SPEs are not binary compatible - therefore, Linux only runs on the PPE. The PPE, which is normally used to set up the SPEs for games, is a moderately fast, single core, dual threaded, in-order execution PowerPC processor.

In addition, the PS3 uses a simple framebuffer display. There is no 2D or 3D acceleration - the CPU has to draw every pixel you see. Since the PPE isn't incredibly fast, this slows it down even more. The nVidia RSX chip - which the GameOS uses directly - is abstracted into a framebuffer display by the Linux hypervisor.

We've found that improvements to hard discs and memory optimization techniques can help - but aren't panaceas.

Cheers,
Paul

Is there a way to develop a complier which can comply source code(for IA-32/EM64T) to binary code for CellBE(for SPE) automatically?
藍與紅如同水火不容,正藍者必憎紅!
ACEFOMIQUZ
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 27 Apr 2010, 11:07

ACEFOMIQUZ wrote:Is there a way to develop a complier which can comply source code(for IA-32/EM64T) to binary code for CellBE(for SPE) automatically?

Unfortunately, no.

The issue is that the SPEs are not strictly "turing complete". That is, they are not stand-alone microprocessors capable of running instructions and manipulating main memory. Instead, they are directly controlled by the PPE - which sets them up, loads programs into their individual memories, and starts them running. Each SPE's program and local variable space is limited to 256 kB maximum - if an SPE wants to do anything more than that, the PPE has to load another program into that space. However, the SPEs can access main memory for data transfers via DMA.

(More info here: http://tinyurl.com/mmt7ot (tiny url for wikipedia entry) )

I tend to think of them more like an AltiVec or an SSE - they're very useful for processing vectors under CPU control, instead of general computation.

In regards to your question, the only thing close to what you're asking was a Java VM that used individual SSEs as a six thread machine. Each SSE ran their own light Java interpreter, slaved to the PPE. This was a pretty cool idea:
http://people.inf.ethz.ch/anoll/cellvm/index.html
and
http://people.inf.ethz.ch/anoll/publications/cellvm.pdf

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ACEFOMIQUZ » 27 Apr 2010, 11:45

ppietro wrote:
ACEFOMIQUZ wrote:Is there a way to develop a complier which can comply source code(for IA-32/EM64T) to binary code for CellBE(for SPE) automatically?

Unfortunately, no.

The issue is that the SPEs are not strictly "turing complete". That is, they are not stand-alone microprocessors capable of running instructions and manipulating main memory. Instead, they are directly controlled by the PPE - which sets them up, loads programs into their individual memories, and starts them running. Each SPE's program and local variable space is limited to 256 kB maximum - if an SPE wants to do anything more than that, the PPE has to load another program into that space. However, the SPEs can access main memory for data transfers via DMA.

(More info here: http://tinyurl.com/mmt7ot (tiny url for wikipedia entry) )

I tend to think of them more like an AltiVec or an SSE - they're very useful for processing vectors under CPU control, instead of general computation.

In regards to your question, the only thing close to what you're asking was a Java VM that used individual SSEs as a six thread machine. Each SSE ran their own light Java interpreter, slaved to the PPE. This was a pretty cool idea:
http://people.inf.ethz.ch/anoll/cellvm/index.html
and
http://people.inf.ethz.ch/anoll/publications/cellvm.pdf

Cheers,
Paul

Thanks for the useful information.I'll do some study on them.
藍與紅如同水火不容,正藍者必憎紅!
ACEFOMIQUZ
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby NuxIT » 03 May 2010, 00:23

I mainly used my PS3 to connect remotely from work via VNC over SSH. It was very solid and secure with the hosts.allow/deny files setup and running the default firewall settings. I'll greatly miss it since I was just getting going with my 6.2 load and was very happy with the working wireless,etc. Oh well, gonna have to move on now that I updated to 3.30. :cry:
Back on the attack after using 5.0.2. Ready to get this 6.2 up and running!
NuxIT
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby roshi » 03 May 2010, 03:20

I don't have a PS3. I'm running YDL 6.2 on my Late 2005 PowerMac G5. I use it to keep track of work files, work photos, work orders, invoices, and voice mail. I also use it to surf the web and store files (photos, reports, etc.) that other work associates can access. I really enjoy its reliability and stability - i rarely turn this machine off. Sorry about that upgrade thing to 3.30. I hope everyone continues to use YDL 6.2, It has brought new life to me and my G5. I am also bored with window$, i586 linux, and somewhat with OS X.
--those who complain rarely read. those who read rarely complain.
roshi
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby TheOneFallen » 09 Jun 2010, 04:52

Quite a bit really, I know I'll be teaching my friend the stuff he wants to learn when I learn it, he's interested in computers and modding and stuff like that, i remember making a Pandora battery for him ages ago.

But with Linux I know nothing and feel so noobish. :(

Anyways

1) Replacing my laptop was the main thing really, I'd started to lose interest because it kept freezing up all the F***ing time. Plus my step father put Network Magic on it so he monitors everything quite annoying I'm working on a story and he;s reading it before I even save it. :(

2) Emulating, I found it difficult on my Windows laptop because all my stuff was in different directories. :(

3) Messing around with stuff, I'm also waiting for the time when the hypervisor gets unlocked and we can all play gaes on here like Oblivion etc. Ohhh the dream. :D
Hoping To Finish My Linux Project Soon. :D
TheOneFallen
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Nobody » 24 Aug 2010, 13:00

i use my ydl for making my resume, searching jobs and applying online, downloading RAR and ZIP File (which was impossible to do on ps3 browser), playing SNES9x (which im still seeking answers to My SIMPLE QUESTIONS :shock: and last but not least, having to operate a better system hardware per se

plus too, i never operated a Computer Software since highschool, and that was years ago.
NEED TO:2make ydl 6 like ps3webbrowser,but wit more computer capabilities. HELP IS NEEDED

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux ppc64; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009020516 YellowDog/3.0.6-1.ydl6.1 Firefox/3.0.6
Nobody
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby Screech » 20 Jan 2011, 22:22

right now I just use it for education of Linux on ppc and compiling code to run on linux-ppc. I've still not learned how to cross compile with gcc.. I'm looking at running qt4 on it too if I can.

I should be getting a old Powerbook G4 with more ram the the PS3 that I may duel boot (harddrive swap) OS X and YDL in March.
Screech/ControlNode/Te12m1n4L
(depends on where I am and mode)
Screech
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Previous

Return to Playstation 3