What do you use your YDL PS3 for?

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: What do you use your YDL PS3 for?

Postby sullyvan » 14 Mar 2009, 05:35

I use it as a 2nd computer, to learn about Linux.
sullyvan
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Taellik » 23 Mar 2009, 11:56

Found another cool use for PS3 - using the Lua programming language !

For those of you who shy away from C/C++ and Java for their complexity, there are two (2) other programming languages available to YDL on a PS3...one is Python and the other I recently discovered is Lua.

Lua installs verrrry easily using the add/remove feature of YDL and as a programming language is easy, yet powerful to use.

In addidtion, if you were lucky enough to get your hands on the pre-3000 series of PSP, you could use a hack to put your customized Lua code / programs on your PSP via the memory stick and run your own programs on your PSP! ( Sony has since re-designed/manufactured the PSP and "corrected" the hack, so a modern PSP cannot do this cool thing anymore. Shame on you Sony ! :evil: )
PS3 80GB, FW 3.21
EyeToy II
NO YDL 6.2 due to 3.21 firmware upgrade
PSP
PSP Go! Cam
Taellik
ydl addict
ydl addict

Location: Raleigh NC and God's Favorite Nation --> THE United States of America

Postby akeoo7 » 04 Apr 2009, 06:20

Hi Everybody,
I'm akeoo7, probably the newest member of this community ( I just registered), I am in fact new to Linux
my primary use of the PS3 is as a bluray plyer, mine is region 40 gb machine, I upgraded the HDD to 250gb.
I Lately came across several region A bluray movies, that can't be played on my rig.
So I downloaded and installed YDL6.1, now I need some help in how can I watch these movies.
What players do I need, and do I need a special software to change region or to just defeat region checking ( Like anydvd used on windows PCs)
As I said I am a newbie, so please excuse me, but I am jammed here and need a little push.
Thanx everyone
akeoo7
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 04 Apr 2009, 08:07

akeoo7 wrote:Hi Everybody,
I'm akeoo7, probably the newest member of this community ( I just registered), I am in fact new to Linux
my primary use of the PS3 is as a bluray plyer, mine is region 40 gb machine, I upgraded the HDD to 250gb.
I Lately came across several region A bluray movies, that can't be played on my rig.
So I downloaded and installed YDL6.1, now I need some help in how can I watch these movies.
What players do I need, and do I need a special software to change region or to just defeat region checking ( Like anydvd used on windows PCs)
As I said I am a newbie, so please excuse me, but I am jammed here and need a little push.
Thanx everyone

Normally, I'd split this off into a new topic - but the first part is relevant to the topic at hand, so I'll leave it for now.

The answer to your question has already been discussed. Look here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5048&p=27849#p27849

Please post any follow up questions to that thread and keep this thread on topic: "What you use your PS3 Linux for?"

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby GKey01 » 12 Apr 2009, 16:30

I use my playstation 3 for ma reason, this lil bllack has a lot of power i myself don;t know how to tap into it but im running fluxbox i edited some code and its my own custume ydl os on a blueray ps3, great, but who wrote the code that wrote the code that told my code what to do? anyways.. I am trying to get two curors going on one screen keep you posted. ak.

PS3 + YDL = great! thanks for everyone on this forum for all your help.
PS3 80GB 2Port with 3 more vis USB Multi Card Reader YDL 6.1 Fluxbox 24Inch Dell HDMI
GKey01
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby Exploding_Penguin » 14 Apr 2009, 01:09

i use it as my pc. my g/f keeps shouting when i download stuff to her laptop.(usually stuff for my In car pc)
i just hapened to read that ydl could be installed. so gave it a go and ere i am tying from my ps3. main use is internet browsing and downloading. this is my first go with linux tho and its was strange at first but getting used to it now (not that im good with it!)

the boards have been a great help. cheers ppl

pingu
Intel d201gly2a,1gb RAM 120gb 2.5" sata hdd,Wifi,BT ,DVD drive,7" touchscreen fiberglassed in,FreeIce FE,igo8 Sat nav with BT GPS reciver
My Car Pc running on XP
Exploding_Penguin
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby uncholowapo » 16 Apr 2009, 05:00

A quick little info; I just found out that when you compile audacious from source, you can get Altivec support for it. I don't know if it is of any use but I thought it was neat.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(234.27 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
PS3 40GB has YDL 6.1 running 480i on a piece of $#!% Sanyo 24 incher. Need to go to 1080p.
uncholowapo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby blackie » 17 Apr 2009, 01:14

Being that the ps3 has muliple processors and can break a password 100 times faster then your average box then i think it would be a waiste to use it for anything less then it's full potential.
blackie
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby uncholowapo » 17 Apr 2009, 03:42

Problem is that programmers don't like programming for the architecture because it is so different from the conventional architecture.
PS3 40GB has YDL 6.1 running 480i on a piece of $#!% Sanyo 24 incher. Need to go to 1080p.
uncholowapo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Bloodstar » 01 May 2009, 05:05

I'm a heavy emulator user.

Especially E-UAE and Snes9x. I've always wanted to run Turrican full-screen on a television, and my SNES isn't quite the best, so...
Bloodstar
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby doggy2000 » 23 May 2009, 06:33

surfing the web
doggy2000
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Digitalgenicide » 14 Jun 2009, 17:14

i mainly use mine for bittorrent, snes9x, and vlc. funny thing is the reason i originally installed yellow dog was too stream surf the channel on my tv ( this was before surfthechannel.com fixed there site). im not really computer savvy (truth be told my ps3 was the first computer i ever owned) so installing took me forever. then i found out theres no adobe flash for us. This project did get me interested in linux though. I bought a laptop, wiped windows XP and installed ubuntu.
Digitalgenicide
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby Freddo » 27 Jun 2009, 20:35

I use it for games. To be able to play my old NES, SNES and Amiga games without hooking the old machines up and only use the PS3 is great, although most of the time I find myself just playing Mega Man 1-3 over and over.

Capcom will release a Mega Man 1-6 pack on the japanese PSN soon, and if they ever release that here in Europe I don't seem to have much reason to use YDL anymore! Will still use it for some SNES/Amiga games, though, like Super Metroid and Super Cars II.
Freddo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby vanatreus » 02 Jul 2009, 23:51

I use mine for everything i find out that it can do (if that makes sense!)

Web browsing, email, documents, photos, music, Emulation (lots of this), watching movies, loading my MP3 player, love vlc, learning new stuff about linux.

I have used linux in the past as i used to do hardware side repairs on PC's and a couple of people's PC's had split boot partitions with Linux Distro's on them. It was nothing like Windows and I fell in love with it. After PS3 update 2.40 and YDL 6.0 came out i finally decided that the time was right to learn more and start enjoying using a computer again.

THIS SITE IS A BLESSING AND PAUL AND BILL ROCK!

I wouldn't have made it through the install and referencing what i needed or understood anything about repo's and sudo and dependencies, without this site, Paul, Bill, and everyone else who contributes.

My pc took a crap 2 years ago, and my wife was in school so she had a laptop through them, but school has been completed the laptop has been returned, the pc is still down and my PS3 with YDL still remains! I have even taken the HDD and DVD Burner out of the pc tower and usb'd it to the PS3 !

I am not a sony fanboy but i do love rubbing it my coworkers face what my ps3 can do whenever a ps3, 360 who's is bigger argument erupts! (I have been banned from contributing to these arguments!)
vanatreus
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Taellik » 06 Jul 2009, 13:16

For those who may be interested in seeing what a PS3 with YDL on it can support from a software developer's pov ( point-of-view ) here's a look at some of my current development configuration running on my PS3 . . .

Not a bad set of tools to work with for trying to put together a Winblows replacement ! :lol:

Taellik
PS3 80GB, FW 3.21
EyeToy II
NO YDL 6.2 due to 3.21 firmware upgrade
PSP
PSP Go! Cam
Taellik
ydl addict
ydl addict

Location: Raleigh NC and God's Favorite Nation --> THE United States of America

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3