What do you use your YDL PS3 for?

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: What do you use your YDL PS3 for?

Postby larrythechim » 19 Jul 2009, 23:30

I use ydl to mainly edit photos, office applications like open office word processor ( for school assignments and writting entertaining short stories ), and emulators. I occassionally find myself watching fandubs of recent animes like Bleach.
160gb ps3 fw ? > upgraded hdd to 1tb > updated fw to 2.76
playstation network > larrythechamp
larrythechim
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby glebb » 30 Jul 2009, 11:13

My sole purpose of installing linux to my ps3 has been to play emulator games. My favourites are vice, xe (for megadrive) and e-uae. Next I'm planning to do some dosbox gaming :) It's most unfortunate, that the ps3 is so limited, in the terms of the hypervisor. I've been writing some thoughts about my struggles in the domain of emulators and ps3. I would really appreciate comments, if there are some tweaks or common practices that would make the experience more easy and friendlier. Anyway, here's the link: http://www.displayofpatience.net/tag/linux/. There are three postings starting from my first try with ubuntu and then continuing to the wonderful world of YDL.
glebb
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Almatysain » 03 Aug 2009, 11:48

Hello,
I'm new to this board, and I'm quite new to the PS3 community.
I just installed YDL6.1 this sunday without difficulty, following the instructions given on the YDL site. For now, I'm enjoying it just for surfing and mailing - that was why I decided trying it -, and it works great.
Next step is trying to make flash objects working on Firefox.
Great OS, great board.

(PS : I'm french, so excuse my bad english).
PSNiD : Almatysain
80Gb PS3 & YDL 6.1
Almatysain
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 03 Aug 2009, 11:56

Almatysain wrote:Next step is trying to make flash objects working on Firefox.

Don't want to move this thread off topic, so I'll just mention that some Flash info is here.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6486&p=32019#p32021

If you have more questions about Flash, feel free to start a new board topic about it.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ravenous420 » 04 Aug 2009, 11:38

Bittorrent, Video Playback, soon emulating supernintendo and sega, and ipod playback. also i programmed it so that with ydl6.2 so that i have the alloted 10gb's for the ps3 system, allowing me the extra with the ydl, i hardly have need of 6gb's on the ps3 xmb so with that in mind i'm technically replacing my POS laptop... soon i'll have my printer on board the ps3 and with the preinstalled linux version of windows word, excell and powerpoint i can goto school this semester with somewhat a new pc
80GB PS3 YDL6.2 on a 13" SD 480i - Worlds Smallest Television lol
ravenous420
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby anubis1127 » 28 Aug 2009, 03:55

Well my PC lit on fire, so I have been using my YDL PS3 as a XP replacement. I use the terminal service client to work from home, so that's convienent. I have also installed some emulators, but they run a lot better on my Wii, so I don't really play them.
40 gb PS3 YDL 6.2 with xfce 4.4
anubis1127
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ohm » 07 Sep 2009, 20:29

Taellik wrote:
billb wrote:"Where are you from?" "How old are you?" "Follow me" ... LOL

Gee Mister, I don't talk to strangers giving candy . . . . :lol:

Taellik

Sometimes the opposite gender characters at PS Home are not what they appear to be. Even though the masquerades are effective, there are a subtle but distinguishable differences between masculine and feminine cognition. It is not so hard to appear to be trans-gender but evidently not so easy to be trans-gender. :)

As to the topic, I use my PS3 to play movies, listen to music under XMB (via ushare on a VAIO laptop running linux), and under Linux, web browse and email. and tinker with the code. The way this started was that I was in a serious accident in Jan of 2009 (almost died) and until very recently have not been very mobile. In the interim, my insanely tweaked PC failed (I used Cedaga and Wine except for the few games that run natively under Linux). There was no way I could fix it, no one would touch it, and so I was not able to play games which really drove me nuts.

Even though I was opposed to console gaming, I got a PS3 (no evil empire HW for me) which my wife connected up so that I was finally able to play again. I got so interested in ps3 games that I have yet to fix my PC. But I was also getting tired of not having Linux to use (no windows boxes in my house since kernel 1.12) so I tried installing Linux and was happy to see that on the PS3 it was completely familiar. I am now getting pretty nearly back to normal but at this point but am not so sure that I want to build another PC.

It never ceases to amaze me at how versatile Linux has become. In the beginning Linux was little more that an interesting toy but it is now an important industrial tool. Many chips (more than you could imagine) are principality developed under Linux. All of the major tool vendors ship Linux ports of the chip tools (Magma, Synopsis, Cadence etc.).

I have never owned a machine that runs Winows95 or anything later.
PS3 noob
ohm
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby 7up » 13 Sep 2009, 01:40

Where to start really!

Recently ive dug out my quake 1/2, great games - both which ydl has helped me to rediscover, emulators, saves a lot of hassle - you could only understand if you saw the technology graveyard in the attic.
General browsing, my word processing needs, VLC! nothing sucks more than the ps3os for playing a wide range of video formats.
I spend too much time polishing my conky (which sounds quite unsavory). xfce is a joy to use, and gives me a good platform to work on my familiarity with a non ubuntu linux, plus, makes a refreshing change to gnome.
its something my ps3slim friends envy :) fortunate to buy the phat before it went out of commission.

i like coming in here as well, for ideas to further broaden the capabilities and uses of YDL, plus its a good community.
One by one, the penguins steal my sanity.. and my lemonade!
7up
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby TDL404 » 12 Oct 2009, 09:22

Mostly for emulation. And because I was curious about it. Nice to have some variation on my ps3.
TDL404
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby jjanes » 03 Nov 2009, 23:36

I am hoping to use my YDL for singing karaoke I have a large repositry of karaoke songs and I found that pykaraoke should work fine under YDL... at least I hope so I am having some issues currently but that is what I am going to be using it for at least for now.
jjanes
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby dan_f14 » 13 Dec 2009, 22:32

I've installed yellowdog on my ps3 for a few reasons and I am quite impressed with how it runs despite the hypervisor practically crippling the hardware. Due to my laptop breaking down I needed something to allow me to do the everyday tasks I used to do on my laptop. Things you take for granted like internet banking and shopping online became extremely difficult and frustrating with the game-os internet browser. Anyway I have dabbled in linux before and I am a big fan of open source and what linux stands for. I can now do my email, webbrowsing, bittorrent, msn, etc on my ps3 because of yellowdog and the information from this forum. Needless to say, using yellowdog on my ps3 has become so convenient I have not got around to getting my laptop fixed.
dan_f14
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby Lawleet » 21 Dec 2009, 00:02

hi guys i would like your help well in 1 month i'm going to start university so i want to buy a new pc , also i want to buy a ps3 so i thought about buying a ps3 and get YDL but will i be able to program in C/C++ and in other programming languages ???? thanx

p.s. those who play snes in ps3 be carsefull it may catch a fire (playing nintendo in ps3 ??!! are you nuts ???);)
Lawleet
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 21 Dec 2009, 00:16

Lawleet wrote:hi guys i would like your help well in 1 month i'm going to start university so i want to buy a new pc , also i want to buy a ps3 so i thought about buying a ps3 and get YDL but will i be able to program in C/C++ and in other programming languages ????

Yes - you'll be able to program in C/C++ and other programming languages.

One thing to consider - if your University is tied to Microsoft in any way, you won't be able to run Visual Studio on your PS3. Same goes for other Windows-only IDEs - you'll basically be only able to run open source IDEs like Eclipse, etc. on your PS3.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PsiVeteran » 06 Jan 2010, 09:44

I'm just starting out here but I noticed that the iMacros extension for Firefox works just fine on my PS3. If you have anything that you do many times over on the web this is a handy tool to pick up.
PsiVeteran
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Starman535 » 20 Jan 2010, 18:22

I am setting up YDL 6.2 on the PS-3 to act as a backup computer in the event my ancient Dual-450 G4 dies (we are doing home renovations right now, and the G4 is disconnected, but the PS-3 is not). I do not play games, but my sons do. We also use the PS-3 as a blue-ray & DVD player. The game my son plays most is called Ratchet and Clank, Partners in Time. Seems like just another "shoot-em-up" type game to me.

I am an old-line Unix user (Solaris and HP-UX), but a newcomer as a Unix Administrator and YDL.

The PS-3 is a 160 Gb model that seems dog slow under YDL, but very fast in the GameOS. I don't know how much of that is caused by the slow disk, and how much is the lack of memory.
Starman535
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3