YDL Multimedia Guide (vlc-0.9.8a) (Mplayer) +.....

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

YDL Multimedia Guide (vlc-0.9.8a) (Mplayer) +.....

Postby Jaybps3 » 14 Feb 2009, 15:03

Hello guys I have been back at it on the ps3 again, I currently got a multimedia solution for ydl. I have been silently working to figure out a solid yet simple method to get websites like ninja-video you-tube and much more. Finally I have a true solution that works and works well.

1. Figure out how to get the most up to date versions of the various media players working as well as there plug-ins. Completed

2. Figure out how to get all the various media players to work embedded if possible and externally otherwise. Completed

3. Figure out which players supported which formats and which ones played each particular format better. Completed

4. Figure out how to link each player to the appropriate media extension. Completed

5. Share my findings with the community in the most simple form I can. Work in progress.

What I have come up with.
Build and Install the latest media players and plug-ins for them. Use media player Connectivity to link the corresponding players to the proper media files. Get as much embedded support as I can. And for the sites where I cant get embedded players to work use LiveStream Media Server to stream the video's to a temp directory so the various players will be able to play them locally while they are downloading. Attach LiveStream to Media Player Connectivity so at the click of a play button the said file will be streamed to a temp directory where it will be auto launch by the appropriate player.

If you have not already go ahead and follow billbs repository guide to get the PS3bodega repo and others installed just click the link below and follow his guide

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3017

Step One Installing development packages and codecs required for this multimedia solution. Open up the terminal and run the commands below.

Switch to root in the terminal.
Code: Select all
su
enter your root password

Copy and past this into the terminal and wait for it to ask if it's OK to install and choose y for yes and hit enter. Then go off to wonderland for a little while and when you return hopefully it will be finished installing. :mrgreen:
yum install libid3tag libid3tag-devel libmad libmad-devel ffmpeg ffmpeg-devel libdvdnav libdvdread libdvdnav-devel libdvdread-devel a52dec a52dec-devel qt4 qt4-devel fribidi fribidi-devel taglib taglib-devel lua lua-devel libdvbpsi libdvbpsi-devel live libcdio libcdio-devel libcddb libcddb-devel mpeg2dec mpeg2dec-devel x264 x264-devel SDL_mixer SDL_mixer-devel SDL_image SDL_image-devel SDL_ttf SDL_ttf-devel SDL_sound SDL_sound-devel pulseaudio pulseaudio-devel pulseaudio-libs pulseaudio-libs-devel  avahi avahi-devel  madplay libmodplug libmodplug-devel fluidsynth fluidsynth-devel live speex speex-devel libtar libtar-devel xmms xmms-skins firefox *gstreamer* smpeg smpeg-devel twolame twolame-devel lame lame-devel twolame twolame-devel libcda-devel xvidcore xvidcore-devel flac flac-devel

Building the latest VLC and Mozilla-VLC
Right click on the link below and save it to your desktop. This will download vlc-0.9.8a!
http://download.videolan.org/pub/videol ... 8a.tar.bz2

Once It's completed downloading right click on the vlc-0.9.8a.tar.bz2 and choose extract here. Now right click on the vlc-0.9.8a folder created by extracting the tar.bz2 and choose open in terminal. Run the commands below to configure and build vlc and mozilla-vlc.

Note (.configure prefix=/usr --enable-mozilla --with-mozilla-pkg) is one command...
./configure prefix=/usr --enable-mozilla --with-mozilla-pkg
make
su
enter root password
make install

Building and Installing the latest Mplayer and Mplayerplug-in

Right click on the link below and choose save to desktop to get the latest mplayer src.
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/release ... ot.tar.bz2

Right click on the mplayer-export-snapshot.tar.bz2 and choose extract here. Now right clcik on the mplayer folder created from extracting the mplayer-export-snapshot.tar.bz2 and choose open in terminal. Build it with the commands below.

./configure
make
su
enter root password
make install

Right click on the link below and choose save file and save it to your desktop. This will download the mplayerplug-in.
http://www.link.comming.soon.com

Once its finished downloading open the terminal and execute the commands below.

su
enter root password
tar -xf /home/your-username/Desktop/mplayer-plugin.tar.gz
cd '/home/your-username/Desktop/mplayer plugin/mozilla/plugins'
cp mplayerplug-in.so mplayerplug-in.xpt mplayerplug-in-dvx.so mplayerplug-in-dvx.xpt mplayerplug-in-qt.so mplayerplug-in-qt.xpt mplayerplug-in-rm.so mplayerplug-in-rm.xpt mplayerplug-in-wmp.so mplayerplug-in-wmp.xpt /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

Thats it now you have the latest mplayer and mplayer-plugin as well as the latest vlc and mozilla vlc. I'll put a guide up for totem soon as well.

Go to your home folder and select the view tab, This will show the hidden files/folders. Look for the .mozilla directory and right click on it and choose to create archive this will back up your current firefox settings, to your home directory. This will be useful for the Media Player Connectivity removal/changes.

Double click the link below and choose installl option. This will install Media Player Connectivity.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... 9.1-fx.xpi
Last edited by Jaybps3 on 18 Feb 2009, 00:44, edited 15 times in total.
60GB PS3 (CECHA01) upgraded HDD 160gb, 40" Sony Bravia, Ydl 6 and plenty of other goodies :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/jaybps3
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Re: YDL Multimedia Guide (vlc-0.9.8a) (Mplayer) +.....

Postby billb » 14 Feb 2009, 15:29

Great stuff from you as usual ... :D Looking forward to it.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jaybps3 » 15 Feb 2009, 03:37

Thanks billb this is something I have been working on for about a week steady few hrs every day.It was a lot of work sorting out the dependencies and then figuring out the command for an install via yum. After getting all the dependencies figured out I built vlc and it was not functioning properly. Some video's didnt have sound etc. So then I had to go back over it and get all the required developement files needed as well as codecs to get the vlc running properly. That's fine though I feel good, I am able to browse the web with very few limitations now, This is actually starting to feel like a pc to me :))
60GB PS3 (CECHA01) upgraded HDD 160gb, 40" Sony Bravia, Ydl 6 and plenty of other goodies :)
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby billb » 15 Feb 2009, 14:46

Jaybps3 wrote:Thanks billb this is something I have been working on for about a week steady few hrs every day.It was a lot of work sorting out the dependencies and then figuring out the command for an install via yum. After getting all the dependencies figured out I built vlc and it was not functioning properly. Some video's didnt have sound etc. So then I had to go back over it and get all the required developement files needed as well as codecs to get the vlc running properly.

vlc has a rather complicated spec file (RPMForge version) with loads of dependencies and options ... see here:

http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/vlc/vlc.spec

So yeah I can see where it would be difficult to get all those sorted. That's the trouble I've had in the past when looking at updating it for my repo -- so many codecs & development files needed, and some are optional. Will give it a try, though ...
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bonedome » 20 Feb 2009, 14:30

Hello
once again big thanx to jaybps3 for putting the hours in (where do you find the time).
Not sure what went wrong with the mplayerplug-in link, maybe it's been click jacked, here's a link to the latest 3.55 http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayerplug-in/ I also needed xul-runner-devel to configure it with ydl 6, already installed with 6.1
still can't get ninjavideo to work with totem or vlc, I've just done a new install of ydl 6.1 so will configure mplayer plugin again tonight.
If i use totem to play youtube it is used as an external player and switch to vlc it plays embedded :? I'll have a good old play with different settings tonight after I've maxxed out on some fallout 3 :D
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Jaybps3 » 20 Feb 2009, 15:55

Did this help you get mozilla-vlc plugin installed? I remember you posting about how to build the plugin/where its at. Anyways this thread is a long way from complete. I am probly going to remove the post above until its further edited and added to.
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby mikeg » 27 Feb 2009, 04:31

I was wondering whats the deal with repos for this, I have fedoracore extras,ps3bodega and ydl repos installed and enabled, but the guide links me to viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3017#p11364 telling me to install livna and dribble which I never installed following ps3 bodega instructions. What do I do ? I also have a newb question, what do I do after "make install".Should it be finished or is there something else I should know? I grew up on a PC and had never used a command until 4wks ago when I installed YDL6.1 if that helps any.
mikeg
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 27 Feb 2009, 04:41

mikeg wrote:I was wondering whats the deal with repos for this, I have fedoracore extras,ps3bodega and ydl repos installed and enabled, but the guide links me to viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3017#p11364 telling me to install livna and dribble which I never installed following ps3 bodega instructions. What do I do ? I also have a newb question, what do I do after "make install".Should it be finished or is there something else I should know? I grew up on a PC and had never used a command until 4wks ago when I installed YDL6.1 if that helps any.

Regarding the repos, either setup should work. ps3bodega has nearly all of livna and dribble included, so you just combine it with fedora-extras as you have done. Since the ps3bodega repo is somewhat less "official" than the livna and dribble repos, I don't include the setup instructions for it on this board. I eventually want to add vlc-0.9.8a to my repo, but it will probably be some time before I do that unless someone contributes an RPM package for it.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jaybps3 » 27 Feb 2009, 13:15

Hey billb if you can pm me with a little guidance and some good links for building rpms that would be great I tried to look into a bit but steered away from it because I was more worried about getting my system running how I wanted more so then making rpms for the community.

Now I have found my way around linux quite well and I have figured out a lot in my time on YDL, I think I am ready to start working on rpms now, Seeing that would help the community more then the guides do. So if you could please get back to me with some info and links to what I need to learn to build rpms, I remember you sent me the info and links and a small test build package and to be honest, I never followed through with it. At the time I was working on the sixaxis and loads of other stuff so I just never gave it a shot.

If you can manage to guide me through it a little I think I can manage to build us some rpms for all the latest mediaplayers and quite a few other resourceful packages.
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby billb » 27 Feb 2009, 14:05

Jaybps3 wrote:Hey billb if you can pm me with a little guidance and some good links for building rpms that would be great I tried to look into a bit but steered away from it because I was more worried about getting my system running how I wanted more so then making rpms for the community.

OK ... will probably just post something over on my forum as a guide. A couple of others have offered help but it's easy to get bogged down in the loads of documentation on building RPMs. Most of the docs I read didn't help me much until I actually started trying to do it. :mrgreen:

Thanks
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby lamlamlam » 10 Mar 2009, 09:55

help! Ican't build and install either vlc and mplayer lastest ver. The terminal enf=ded up with the followings
checking build system type... powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking how to create a ustar tar archive... gnutar
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... yes
checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.
[root@myps3 vlc-0.9.8a]# ./configure prefix=/usr --enable-mozilla --with-mozilla-pkg
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no

any idea? Many thanks!
lamlamlam
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 10 Mar 2009, 10:19

lamlamlam wrote:help! Ican't build and install either vlc and mplayer lastest ver. The terminal enf=ded up with the followings
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
[root@myps3 vlc-0.9.8a]# ./configure prefix=/usr --enable-mozilla --with-mozilla-pkg
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no

any idea? Many thanks!

You have no development tools loaded. Try this as root from a terminal window:
yum groupinstall 'Development Tools'

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CoolZone » 10 Mar 2009, 11:25

got error when configuring vlc,before build that i need to install the GL development package
CoolZone
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby bonedome » 10 Mar 2009, 13:54

Hello
when I built vlc 0.9.5 I needed to disable opengl so when you configure type
./configure --disable-glx
along with the enable mozilla bits of course.
Although when I tried 0.9.8a without diabling glx it configured without errors :?
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Jaybps3 » 10 Mar 2009, 16:31

Did you know there is an rpm that will install this automatically makes life much easier.

I have a build of vlc-1.0.0-goldeneye but its not ready to post up I got everything working including dvd's just having problems with scaling.
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Next

Return to Playstation 3