Solving problems with Installing Software

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Solving problems with Installing Software

Postby billb » 16 Feb 2009, 15:57

Intro

Yellow Dog Linux, like other RPM based Linux distributions, uses online repositories ("repos") to download applications and updates. This means you'll need a working internet connection in order to use the "Add/Remove Software" or the "yum" command to install software or updates from these online repos. The locations of these online software repositories are defined in .repo files located in the /etc/yum.repos.d directory.

As described in the How to Install Software (the easy way) guide, it's possible to set up third-party repos in addition to the three which YDL uses by default (yellowdog-base.repo, yellowdog-extras.repo, and yellowdog-updates.repo). These third-party repos are untested by Fixstars/YDL and also meant for a different distribution of Linux (Fedora 6 for livna and fedora-extras, or Fedora 7 for dribble).

For this reason, when you add third-party repos you also need to set up a plugin for the software installer called "protectbase" -- this prevents certain packages from other repos from overwriting those included with Yellow Dog Linux. The process for setting this up is included in the "How to Install Software" guide. It's also possible to use a plugin called "priorities" instead of "protectbase," but for simplicity the guide suggests using "protectbase" since it provides the same function.

Common Issues

Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 9947. Aborting.

This error occurs when automatic updates are running in the background when you try to use yum to install something. You can either wait for the updater to finish and try running the yum install again, or disable automatic updates.

To disable the automatic update service from the command line:

Code: Select all
su -

<enter root password>

chkconfig yum-updatesd off

exit

(to turn on automatic updates again later, follow the same procedure but use chkconfig yum-updatesd on instead)

Config Error: File contains no section headers.

This error occurs when your .repo file has spaces in front of the first line, or has other typos so that the software installer doesn't find what it expects. For example, if you have the dribble.repo set up and you're getting this error:

Config Error: File contains no section headers.
file: file://///etc/yum.repos.d/dribble.repo, line: 1
' [dribble]\n'

Looking closely at the last line, you'll see there's a space in front of [dribble]. Removing the space(s) will fix this problem. The same applies to all the other repo files -- there must be NO spaces or blank lines at the beginning of the repo file.

Temporary failure in name resolution

This means that the software installer looked in the location defined in the repo file but couldn't access the server. This happened recently with the rpm.livna.org site being inaccessible. Here's a full example:

Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/6/ppc/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')>
Trying other mirror.

To deal with this problem, I've added a list of "mirrors" to the livna-stable.repo file (earlier versions of the "How to Install Software" guide only specified the rpm.livna.org server). This means that if the software installer has trouble accessing the first server, it moves on to the next, and so on, until it's able to access one of the servers.

If none are accessible, the software installer will fail to run. In that case, you can temporarily disable the repo file by changing the enabled=1 line to enabled=0, or add enabled=0 if there is no enabled line at all.

You can think of the repo files like "Christmas lights" ... if one goes out, they all go out! :wink: Meaning that in the default setup, if the software installer has difficulty accessing one of the servers specified in the repo files, it will fail to do anything at all. If you're using the "yum" command you'll generally get a useful error message letting you know which repo didn't work. If you're using the GUI "Add/Remove Software" from your menu, it will say something like:

unable to retrieve software information. this could be caused by not having a network connection available

details: none

To get a more useful error message, try installing something from the command line instead using yum. To use yum to install software you need to have "super user" or "root" privileges. You don't have to log in as root, though -- the "su -" command allows you to temporarily become "root" as shown below:

Becoming root user:
su -

<enter root password>

Trying to install unrar -- a small archive utility that allows you to extract .rar archive files:

yum install unrar

If your repo files are configured incorrectly or the installer is unable to access one of the repo servers, you should get an error message specifying which one it's having trouble with.

If it all goes OK but ends with "Nothing to do" this means that A) it couldn't find the package you're trying to install or B) the package you're trying to install is already installed.

[Errno 14] HTTP Error 401: Authorization Required

This error occurs when you've installed Yellow Dog 6.1 and checked the option to use ydl.net enhanced downloads, but you don't have a ydl.net account (you have to purchase a ydl.net account -- see here for details). ydl.net account holders are issued a username and password to access a private server, and this username and password goes in your yellowdog repo files.

Here's an example of the error message:

http://www.ydl.net/enhanced/yum/6.1/extras/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 401: Authorization Required
    Trying other mirror.
    Error: Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: extras

To fix this problem, you need to either purchase a ydl.net account and set your repo files accordingly with the username and password issued by Fixstars, or set up your repo files to access the public servers. I've described the process of changing them for public server access in this post:

viewtopic.php?p=24427#p24427

When installing YDL 6.1, do NOT check the option to use ydl.net enhanced downloads if you don't have or don't plan on purchasing a ydl.net account.

Config Error: Error accessing file for config file://///etc/yum.repos.d/yellowdog-extras.repo

This error occurs on YDL 6.1 if you try to use yum to search for an application as a regular user instead of root.

The reasons behind why this doesn't work on YDL 6.1 are described in this post:
viewtopic.php?p=24477#p24477

Changing the permissions on the yellowdog repo files is optional, and not recommended for ydl.net account holders since they would include your ydl.net username and password AND be readable by any user.

Another post showing how to change the permissions on the repo files so you can run a yum search as regular user instead of root:

viewtopic.php?p=23359#p23359

Still having problems? How to ask for help

We're always happy (or at least willing :P) to help new users on this forum. If you're having trouble installing software, you've read this guide, and you still don't know what's going on, feel free to post to this topic and ask for help.

The first thing we'll be looking for is any error message you received and how your repo files are set up. To get your repo setup info, use these commands from a terminal window:

su -

<enter root password>

more /etc/yum.repos.d/*

(you'll need to press the spacebar a few times to get the full output)

Copy/paste all the output from the above command to this topic and we'll go from there. NOTE: If you have a ydl.net account, your username/password will be in your yellowdog repo files -- if that is the case, edit that part out before posting! For those who don't have a ydl.net account, no private info will be included in your repo files.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Solving problems with Installing Software

Postby ukee1593 » 17 Feb 2009, 08:31

Hi Bill

I have tried to compile a few different programs and have so far had no success
When I try to compile K3B it passes the configure command but errors on the make command with saying that it is missing lutempter
when i try to install lutempter or lbutempter-devel it cannot find the mirror even after I followed all the previous steps.
help please
Luke
ukee1593
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby omskates » 17 Feb 2009, 10:21

PPC POWERBOOK ALUMINUM G4
ATI Radeon

Was looking at RPMFusion or other repos for best multi-media on this machine
--Thankyou!

[root@localhost ~]# more /etc/yum.repos.d/*
::::::::::::::
/etc/yum.repos.d/dribble.repo
::::::::::::::
[dribble]
name=Dribble for Fedora 7 - ppc
baseurl=http://dribble.org.uk/repo/7/ppc
enabled=0
gpgcheck=0

yum repo list:
repo id repo name status
PS3Bodega PS3Bodega.com YellowDog Compatible Packa enabled
base Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 Base enabled
extras Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 Extras enabled
fedora-extras Fedora Extras enabled
updates Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 Updates enabled

All repos enabled=0 and 1:

[fedora-extras]
name=Fedora Extras
baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/6/ppc
gpgcheck=0
enabled=1
protect=0

[PS3Bodega]
name=PS3Bodega.com YellowDog Compatible Packages
baseurl=http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/ps3linux/ps3bodega61/ppc/
gpgcheck=0
enabled=1
protect=1

[livna-stable]
name=Livna for Fedora Core 6 - ppc - Base
baseurl=
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/6/ppc/
http://livna.cat.pdx.edu/fedora/6/ppc/
http://wftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/li ... ora/6/ppc/
http://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mi ... ora/6/ppc/
ftp://mirrors.tummy.com/pub/rpm.livna.org/fedora/6/ppc/
failovermethod=priority
#mirrorlist=http://rpm.livna.org/mirrorlist-6
enabled=0
gpgcheck=0

[dribble]
name=Dribble for Fedora 7 - ppc
baseurl=http://dribble.org.uk/repo/7/ppc
enabled=0
gpgcheck=0

#generated by system-config-ydlnet
[updates]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 Updates
mirrorlist=http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/resources/yd61-updates-mlist
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY
protect=1
protect=1

#generated by system-config-ydlnet
[base]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 Base
#baseurl=http://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yum/6.1/base/
mirrorlist=http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/resources/yd61-base-mlist
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0
protect=1
protect=1

[updates]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 Updates
mirrorlist=http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/resources/yd61-updates-mlist
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0
protect=1
protect=1

Thanks Again!
omskates
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 17 Feb 2009, 15:18

ukee1593 wrote:I have tried to compile a few different programs and have so far had no success
When I try to compile K3B it passes the configure command but errors on the make command with saying that it is missing lutempter
when i try to install lutempter or lbutempter-devel it cannot find the mirror even after I followed all the previous steps.
help please

Not sure why the livna mirrors would be failing (assuming that's what you're referring to) ... seems to be working OK for me and I just verified the setup last night in this post:

viewtopic.php?p=25418#p25418

I'm not familiar with libutempter, but it appears I have it installed ... no devel package though ...

[bill@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa|grep libutempter
libutempter-1.1.4-3

Installation of the devel package went OK:

[bill@localhost ~]$ sudo yum install libutempter-devel
Password:
Loading "protectbase" plugin
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/6/ppc/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')>
Trying other mirror.
livna-stable              100% |=========================| 2.1 kB    00:00     
base                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00     
primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================| 861 kB    00:01     
base      : ################################################## 2500/2500
fedora-extras             100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00     
updates                   100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00     
dribble                   100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00     
extras                    100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00     
115 packages excluded due to repository protections
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package libutempter-devel.ppc 0:1.1.4-3 set to be updated

Dependencies Resolved

=============================================================================
 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
Installing:
 libutempter-devel       ppc        1.1.4-3          base              6.8 k

Transaction Summary
Install      1 Package(s)         
Update       0 Package(s)         
Remove       0 Package(s)         

Total download size: 6.8 k
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
(1/1): libutempter-devel- 100% |=========================| 6.8 kB    00:00     
Running Transaction Test
warning: libutempter-devel-1.1.4-3: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID aeb6b9c4
Finished Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
  Installing: libutempter-devel            ######################### [1/1]

Installed: libutempter-devel.ppc 0:1.1.4-3
Complete!

So ... libutempter and libutempter-devel are both included in yellowdog-base.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 17 Feb 2009, 15:24

omskates wrote:PPC POWERBOOK ALUMINUM G4
ATI Radeon

Was looking at RPMFusion or other repos for best multi-media on this machine
--Thankyou!

Sorry, but I'm not clear on this ... are you having a problem with your repo setup and installing software, or just posting that this is working for you?

I've looked at RPMFusion but haven't tried it. YDL 6.x is closer to Fedora Core 6 than later versions of Fedora, so I'm assuming that packages from later versions of Fedora such as what RPMFusion offers are going to be problematic in many cases. They have PPC RPMs for Fedora 8, 9, and 10. I would expect that some of their packages will need higher versions of base libraries than what we have on YDL 6.x, so that's why I haven't tried it. And if you were to set it up without using protectbase and allow portions of YDL's base packages to be updated it would probably be "a real mess." :P
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby omskates » 18 Feb 2009, 08:10

That answers my question, thankyou. :) I had only posted my repo list in case somebody had a repo suggestion for me :? Ultimately I'm aiming to have Boxee running on that machine for mutimedia/entertainment center, but that may be a topic for another thread.
Thanks!
omskates
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ukee1593 » 18 Feb 2009, 10:16

Thanks for the reply. I've followed the steps on another post for setting up YDL for development and after that K3B has compiled without any problems. Geez compiling sure takes longer when there are no errors :lol:

After that I was feeling extremely adventurous and decided that i would try to compile the latest version of Openoffice. ./configure came up with and error telling me that I was missing some of the Perl modules

checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking the Perl version... checked (perl 5)
checking for required Perl modules... Can't locate Archive/Zip.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/ppc-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/ppc-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/ppc-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/ppc-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/ppc-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7/ppc-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6/ppc-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/ppc-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/ppc-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8 .) at -e line 1.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at -e line 1.
configure: error: Failed to find some modules

I went searching on GOOGLE for the missing Perl module Archive/Zip.pm (what i think is missing from the readout) with little luck at all

cheers Luke
ukee1593
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 18 Feb 2009, 11:42

ukee1593 wrote:I went searching on GOOGLE for the missing Perl module Archive/Zip.pm (what i think is missing from the readout) with little luck at all

For Perl, instead of Google, try CPAN instead. That's a big networked archive of Perl modules that you can set up and use. If you need a new Perl module, CPAN will get it for you and install it automatically.

Start here:
http://www.cpan.org/

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CronoCloud » 18 Feb 2009, 21:41

ukee1593 wrote:Thanks for the reply. I've followed the steps on another post for setting up YDL for development and after that K3B has compiled without any problems. Geez compiling sure takes longer when there are no errors :lol:

k3b is included in the repos, unless you wanted a newer version of course.

After that I was feeling extremely adventurous and decided that i would try to compile the latest version of Openoffice. ./configure came up with and error telling me that I was missing some of the Perl modules

I went searching on GOOGLE for the missing Perl module Archive/Zip.pm (what i think is missing from the readout) with little luck at all

cheers Luke

Try this, as root of course:

perl -MCPAN -e 'install Archive::Zip'

That should do the trick

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby snodgrss1984 » 28 Feb 2009, 02:00

ok I dont fully understand can anyone help me

recently i added a lot of flags and when i was going to protect them livna failed and i cant get into programs anyone here know how i can delete the livna flag and just protect the other file

thank you
snodgrss1984
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby billb » 28 Feb 2009, 02:48

Please follow the suggestion under "Still having problems? How to ask for help" in the first post of this topic (need to see your repo files to make suggestion).
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snodgrss1984 » 02 Mar 2009, 04:51

i figured that out and then i went into the add remove and added fedora and livna rpms now when i go to the program i get the error can not get software information which tells me may be due to network connection

i am on ps3 now it is not my connection so what could it be

thank you
snodgrss1984
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby billb » 02 Mar 2009, 08:19

snodgrss1984 wrote:i figured that out and then i went into the add remove and added fedora and livna rpms now when i go to the program i get the error can not get software information which tells me may be due to network connection

1. Don't do that -- ever.

2. If you want help, post your repo files to this topic as I have already suggested.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 02 Mar 2009, 09:07

snodgrss1984 wrote:i figured that out and then i went into the add remove and added fedora and livna rpms now when i go to the program i get the error can not get software information which tells me may be due to network connection

i am on ps3 now it is not my connection so what could it be

thank you

As billb said in his post, we need you to follow the instructions at the beginning of this thread - the Still having problems? How to ask for help section - and post the results here so we can figure out what's going on. Until you do this, we can't help you.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. If you're having trouble finding the post we're talking about - it's here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4785&p=26360#p25379
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snodgrss1984 » 02 Mar 2009, 23:55

i just wanted to say i didnt mean to break any rules and i am not sure how i can show you my problem do i have to copy something
snodgrss1984
ydl lover
ydl lover

Next

Return to Playstation 3