How To: Windows 95 on YDL with Qemu

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: How To: Windows 95 on YDL with Qemu

Postby ppietro » 08 Apr 2010, 11:19

[MODERATOR EDIT: reposted for reddragon2987. -Paul]

Ok, at first I started with the "su -1" command instead of "su -l" which looks identical when the instructions are coded giving me an invalid output so I just typed "su" and went right ahead. Now I tried making the c.hd without any "su", then did both "su" and "su -l" which gave me the same output of:
Code: Select all
Formatting 'c.hd',fmt=qcow,size=1228800kb
which led me to the same output I got stuck on.

The only thing I noticed is when creating c.hd with the su's outputs the file which is a white sheet icon with a red circle and something crossed out in the middle whereas making it without the su's creates c.hd with an icon of a plain white sheet

EDIT: sorry, didn't know you were typing at the same time I was, it is all in the same place /home/user/(yes, I use "user")
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 08 Apr 2010, 11:26

reddragon2987 wrote:Ok, at first I started with the "su -1" command instead of "su -l" which looks identical when the instructions are coded giving me an invalid output so I just typed "su" and went right ahead. Now I tried making the c.hd without any "su", then did both "su" and "su -l" which gave me the same output of:
Formatting 'c.hd',fmt=qcow,size=1228800kb
which led me to the same output I got stuck on.

Here's the deal. If you create the file as root, you might not be able to do anything with it as normal user. You really only need to be root to install qemu - you should be your normal user for everything else.

reddragon2987 wrote:The only thing I noticed is when creating c.hd with the su's outputs the file which is a white sheet icon with a red circle and something crossed out in the middle whereas making it without the su's creates c.hd with an icon of a plain white sheet

Yup - that means you can't write to it as your normal user.

reddragon2987 wrote:EDIT: sorry, didn't know you were typing at the same time I was, it is all in the same place /home/user/(yes, I use "user")

Your login is user? That's very meta! :)

Or did you create a /home/user directory for this? If you created that directory as root, you might not have permissions to access it as a normal user.

This all sounds like permission issues to me. Try my steps as posted above.

BTW - make sure you're not typing /home/yourusername/fdbasecd.iso for the -cdrom argument. From your syntax, you should be using -cdrom /home/user/fdbasecd.iso (or better yet: -cdrom fdbasecd.iso )

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby reddragon2987 » 24 Apr 2010, 00:00

I created the username "user" upon installation, so I have no idea if this count as created by "root"
I have all the files and made sure I was in the right directory with the files there by using the cd and ls commands
I created c.hd without being root with the same output:

Warning: No DNS servers found
qemu: could not open disk image c.hd

The only thinks that gets me thinking are below:

1) Thanks to billb, I installed qemu without internet on PS3 (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7296) and I dont know if this can be the culprid since most people isntall qemu online

2) I dont know whats "DNS servers" though. I'm guessing it requires internet to complete installation? My PS3 can't pick up my uncle's signal so I had to use my laptop and trasnfer via external hard drive

Thanks
reddragon2987
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 24 Apr 2010, 00:47

reddragon2987 wrote:I created the username "user" upon installation, so I have no idea if this count as created by "root"

To clarify: You have a normal account of "user" and a separate root account as "root". If you log in as "user" and create a file, that file is created by "user". However - if you log in as "user", then issue the su command, you become "root" - but only within that terminal window. If you create a file in the "su" window, that file will be created as "root", not "user".

Does that make sense?

I'm saying you want to log in as "user", and not use the "su" command at all, for the purposes of getting this running. You installed QEMU, you don't need to be root to do anything else in the procedure above.

reddragon2987 wrote:I have all the files and made sure I was in the right directory with the files there by using the cd and ls commands
I created c.hd without being root with the same output:

So - can you cut and paste the line you're using to start qemu? Something sounds wrong in there. The DNS servers message is appearing because QEMU can't find c.hd locally - it's trying to find it on the web.

reddragon2987 wrote:The only thinks that gets me thinking are below:

1) Thanks to billb, I installed qemu without internet on PS3 (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7296) and I dont know if this can be the culprid since most people isntall qemu online

Nope - immaterial to our discussion here. Once it's installed, it's installed.

reddragon2987 wrote:2) I dont know whats "DNS servers" though. I'm guessing it requires internet to complete installation? My PS3 can't pick up my uncle's signal so I had to use my laptop and trasnfer via external hard drive

Again - as I mention above - the installation is complete. What you're seeing is QEMU not finding c.hd, and looking to the network to find it. A DNS server is the server that allows you to take a name (e.g. http://www.yellowdog-board.com ) and convert it to the true Internet address (i.e. 113.37.91.75).

A cut and paste of one of your QEMU lines and error messages would be the best. I understand your PS3 isn't connected to the network, and it's a real pain - but as you noted above, something as simple as su -l vs su -1 can be really hard to detect.

In the meantime, I will try running QEMU without networking. There is a possibility that it's related.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby reddragon2987 » 24 Apr 2010, 01:13

So - can you cut and paste the line you're using to start qemu? Something sounds wrong in there. The DNS servers message is appearing because QEMU can't find c.hd locally - it's trying to find it on the web.

I don't know what line ur asking. Is it the step that I wrote:
qemu -hda c.hd -cdrom /home/user/fdbasecd.iso -boot d
or(after confirming the directory with the ls command)
qemu -hda c.hd -cdrom fdbasecd.iso -boot d
aren't this line suppose to use qemu? or am I missing a big step to start qemu that I had to do prior to starting from step 1 of this tutorial?

EDIT: after reading the tutorial, there is no big step in starting qemu it seems... I didnt cut and paste the code above from my PS3 for obvious reasons, though, I did re-typed the above code many many times....I memorized it
reddragon2987
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 24 Apr 2010, 01:22

I figured it out for you.

Watch this:

[paulp@localhost ~]$ ls
Desktop    Download      Music     Public     Videos
Documents  fdbasecd.iso  Pictures  Templates
[paulp@localhost ~]$ qemu-img create -f qcow c.hd 1200M
Formatting 'c.hd', fmt=qcow, size=1228800 kB
[paulp@localhost ~]$ ls
c.hd     Documents  fdbasecd.iso  Pictures  Templates
Desktop  Download   Music         Public    Videos
[paulp@localhost ~]$ qemu -hda c.hd -cdrom fdbasecd.iso -boot d
[paulp@localhost ~]$

This worked. QEMU started up. I then turned off my networking and moved into the wrong directory. (e.g. Desktop)

[paulp@localhost ~]$ cd Desktop/
[paulp@localhost Desktop]$ qemu -hda c.hd -cdrom fdbasecd.iso -boot d
[paulp@localhost Desktop]$

So - leaving networking off, and being in the right directory gets me this:

[paulp@localhost Desktop]$ cd /home/paulp
[paulp@localhost ~]$ ls
c.hd     Documents  fdbasecd.iso  Pictures  Templates
Desktop  Download   Music         Public    Videos
[paulp@localhost ~]$

and QEMU started up. The DNS message is just that - a message letting you know that networking isn't connected. It has no bearing on whether or not you can start QEMU - consider it just an informational message.

So - the issue is this. Either you're in the wrong directory, and QEMU can't find c.hd - or c.hd was created as root, and "user" can't read it. e.g.:

[paulp@localhost ~]$ ls -al|grep c.hd
-rw-------.  1 root  root     4848 2010-04-23 10:09 c.hd
[paulp@localhost ~]$

Even though I'm paulp, the ls -al command shows me that root owns the file and has the only read/write permission. If I change the owner back to me....

[paulp@localhost ~]$ ls -al|grep c.hd
-rw-------.  1 paulp paulp    4848 2010-04-23 10:09 c.hd
[paulp@localhost ~]$

it starts right up.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby reddragon2987 » 24 Apr 2010, 03:48

If I change the owner back to me....

I don't know how you changed the permission, but what I got after typing the ls -al command is:
[user@localhost~]$ ls-al|grep c.hd
-rw-r--r--  1 user user    4848 Apr 22 11:10 c.hd
judging by your reply, the file is read/writeable right?
reddragon2987
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 24 Apr 2010, 06:25

reddragon2987 wrote:
If I change the owner back to me....

I don't know how you changed the permission,

man chown

and

man chmod

should tell you what you need to know.

reddragon2987 wrote:but what I got after typing the ls -al command is:
[user@localhost~]$ ls-al|grep c.hd
-rw-r--r--  1 user user    4848 Apr 22 11:10 c.hd
judging by your reply, the file is read/writeable right?

(NOTE: The ls-al in your code section won't work as written. It must be ls(space)-al. This is why we prefer cut and paste to transcription. :D I know it sounds like I'm being picky - but Linux is *way* pickier.)

So - yup - you're good.

From the top, this is what we want to do. Since I know that c.hd is in your /home/user directory, and has the right permissions, we'll leave that alone for now. Here's the steps to follow:

1. Log in as user
  2. Open a terminal window
  3. Enter this command: cd /home/user
  4. Enter this command: ls
  5. In the resultant directory listing, verify that both c.hd and fdbasecd.iso are both present
  6. Enter this command exactly as typed: qemu -hda c.hd -cdrom fdbasecd.iso -boot d

Be very careful about the spacing. It should be:
qemu(space)-hda(space)c.hd(space)-cdrom(space)fdbasecd.iso(space)-boot(space)d

That should do it.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chambers Boxman » 10 Aug 2010, 07:02

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've been having the same issue, and none of the solutions seem to be fixing it.

[keral@localhost ~]$ qemu -hda c.hd -cdrom fdbasecd.iso -boot d
[keral@localhost ~]$ ls -al c.hd
-rwxrwxrw- 1 keral keral 4848 Aug  9 22:42 c.hd
[keral@localhost ~]$

I don't get what the deal is.
Chambers Boxman
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 10 Aug 2010, 09:47

Chambers Boxman wrote:Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've been having the same issue, and none of the solutions seem to be fixing it.

[keral@localhost ~]$ qemu -hda c.hd -cdrom fdbasecd.iso -boot d
[keral@localhost ~]$ ls -al c.hd
-rwxrwxrw- 1 keral keral 4848 Aug  9 22:42 c.hd
[keral@localhost ~]$

I don't get what the deal is.

Well - there's a number of places it can break down. I tried this from scratch, and it worked. Here's the output of my session:

[paulp@yurie ~]$ qemu-img create -f qcow c.hd 1200M
Formating 'c.hd', fmt=qcow, size=1228800 kB
[paulp@yurie ~]$ qemu -hda c.hd -cdrom fdbasecd.iso -boot d

At this point, the QEMU window opened up and it worked.

After I closed the QEMU window, I tried your ls command and got this:

[paulp@yurie ~]$ qemu-img create -f qcow c.hd 1200M
Formating 'c.hd', fmt=qcow, size=1228800 kB
[paulp@yurie ~]$ qemu -hda c.hd -cdrom fdbasecd.iso -boot d
[paulp@yurie ~]$ ls -al c.hd
-rw-r--r-- 1 paulp paulp 4848 Aug 10 01:45 c.hd
[paulp@yurie ~]$

So - it might be that you didn't use the right command to create the c.hd file. That's where I'd start anyway.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chambers Boxman » 10 Aug 2010, 11:01

Whelp, I tried just making another c.hd, and essentially just mimicked what you did in your post, and got the exact same result.

Could it be a problem with my version of Qemu? I checked and it said it was 0.9.1-11.

EDIT: I just noticed something unusual, I put in "./c.hd" and it told me "permission denied," even though I was root at the time.
I tried "chmod 777 c.hd" and afterward "./c.hd" would just tell me it couldn't run it as a binary file. Most curious.

Checking the permissions got me this:
[root@localhost keral]# ls -al c.hd
-rwxrwxrwx 1 keral root 4848 Aug 10 02:46 c.hd

On a side note, I've had to open up gnome-terminal to copy everything, does anyone happen to know how to copy text from rxvt?
Chambers Boxman
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 10 Aug 2010, 19:09

Chambers Boxman wrote:Checking the permissions got me this:
[root@localhost keral]# ls -al c.hd
-rwxrwxrwx 1 keral root 4848 Aug 10 02:46 c.hd

So - the next think I would try is taking the execute bit off the c.hd file. I would make it 644, not 777. Also - set the owner & group to keral - don't use mixed keral/root.

Finally - make sure you're running QEMU as your normal user (keral) and not root.

As for the version of QEMU, I just used the one from the fedora-extras repository. It looks like it's qemu-0.8.2-4.fc6.ppc.rpm, so - yeah - you might do a man qemu and see if the syntax has changed.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chambers Boxman » 11 Aug 2010, 03:55

I set the chmod to 644 and changed the owner to keral:keral, but still got the same result.

I went through the qemu manual, and it doesn't seem like the syntax has changed. Maybe it has to with how it's created? I tried "qemu-img info -f qcow c.hd" and it told me it couldn't open it.

I'm getting the feeling something's going wrong in the creation process.

EDIT: I installed your version of Qemu, I'll report back if this fixes things.

EDIT AGAIN: Success! After getting your version of Qemu, recreating the c.hd, it booted right up and greeted me with a friendly FreeDos whale.

Thanks again for your help. I can't wait to play some Starcraft with my buddies.
Chambers Boxman
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Chambers Boxman » 13 Aug 2010, 03:12

Well shucks, this is problematic, I can't get the internet working.

I installed the drivers mentioned in the guide earlier, but there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to actually make an internet connection.

I've looked through the control panel, and tried the Internet Connection Wizard, but nothing seems to be working.
Chambers Boxman
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Noons » 17 Aug 2010, 18:37

This worked for me with win98...

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2408&start=180#p27063
Fedora core 12; ps3 CECHA01; samsung 720p plasma; kernel 2.6.32
Noons
ydl guru
ydl guru

PreviousNext