YDL 6.1 NO DVD INSTALL

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: YDL 6.1 NO DVD INSTALL

Postby blitzmagoo » 25 Oct 2009, 20:44

you are going to run into problems if you extract the whole dvd to usb and try to install from usb only, that is why i went with a ftp install. im sure if you got the right files in the right directory on a usb formatted in a way in which ydl will recognize during install, theoretically, sure. practically, it was a pain in the ass, so i went with what i was able to make work for me.

i got this to work with a 256 mb stick, and a 1gb, so i would think a 4 gb would work.

try it, it wont hurt a thing, any troubles, i will try and help out.

neat thing about the pdaxrom bootloader is it sorta acts like a grub, so if you wanted, you could multi-boot other linux flavors, either by live usb or cd, or installed to another partition on the hard drive. beat that fixstars!
blitzmagoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby FredTheSilly » 31 Oct 2009, 21:02

Hey gang,

Having a problem getting the files via ftp, or http. Keep getting an error that says cannot retrieve releases/yellowdog-6.2/os/images/minstg2.img.

I have the PS3 wired to the router, and tested connection in the game os.

Have tried 2 different mirrors, and get the same error, any ideas?

Thanks for your help,

Fred
FredTheSilly
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

UPDATE

Postby FredTheSilly » 31 Oct 2009, 21:38

Crazy, while waiting for a reply, I tried about 8 more times, and it finally worked.

It's downloading and installing now.

I'm sure I'll have some more stupid questions later, as I set stuff up....

Till then,

Fred
FredTheSilly
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby blitzmagoo » 31 Oct 2009, 22:19

dude, that is totally awesome you got it to work, sometimes all it takes is a little persistence. it is a little strange it was lookin for minstg2.img, hopefully it all works out for ya.
blitzmagoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby FredTheSilly » 01 Nov 2009, 01:59

blitzmagoo wrote:dude, that is totally awesome you got it to work, sometimes all it takes is a little persistence. it is a little strange it was lookin for minstg2.img, hopefully it all works out for ya.

Ended up working like a charm,

Had to do a bit of digging, as my PS3 is on a SDTV, and after the text install, it didn't want to boot to X.
Got it sorted now.

Fred
FredTheSilly
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby blitzmagoo » 01 May 2010, 22:40

any chance this could be made a sticky since the official way does not exist.
blitzmagoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby janice75 » 24 Jan 2011, 22:28

blitzmagoo wrote:i can now confirm that this method works for installing ydl 6.2, this time i used http://ydl.oregonstate.edu. also this can be done with a 256 mb usb stick. might make a great sticky dont ya think?

I'm so glad I found this. It installed for me the first time I tried. Thank you.
janice75
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Previous

Return to Playstation 3