Mplayer-ps3 ( FOR PRACTICAL USE )

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Mplayer-ps3 ( FOR PRACTICAL USE )

Postby alastor » 15 Jul 2009, 18:18

UPDATED: Now everything is done a lot easier ! ( And can be done even more easier if you look at my script at the second page of this topic. :) )
Hi there,
Firstly to say, i am actually shocked. :shock: Using the forum search i wasn't able to find any clue about installing mplayer-ps3 ( SPU optimized mplayer ) and there are just few posts about spu-medialib. On the other hand there are loads of posts about vlc and mplayer. Do people really want to watch at least some movies of HD content on PS3 or all SDs without freezing ? Using spu optimized sdl just gives you some more free processing power but that's all. But back to the topic:

What is mplayer-ps3 ?
An optimized mplayer binary, that uses spu-medialib for colour conversation.

What is it capable of ?
It can play all SD video files ( 640 x 480 to 720 x 576 ) and most HD files ( 1080 x 720 and maybe greater ) without freezing or lagging. The quality of image is not reduced. Ideal fo PS3.

Steps: ( I did this using e17. So for GNOME users some steps will be a bit different. E.g. application destinations. )
1) Install bzip2-libs ( or bzip2 ), unrar and update glibc ( 2.7 or greater )
2) Download spu-medialib ( attached below )
3) Extract it in your home directory. Run:
Code: Select all
cd ~/spu-medialib_0.1git20071126-1_powerpc/data
su
cd usr/include
cp -r spu-medialib /usr/include
cd usr/lib/pkgconfig
cp libspu-medialib.pc /usr/lib/pkgconfig
cd usr/lib
cp libspu-medialib.a /usr/lib
cp libspu-medialib.la /usr/lib
cp libspu-medialib.so.0.100.0 /usr/lib
ln -s /usr/lib/libspu-medialib.so.0.100.0 /usr/lib/libspu-medialib.so.0
ln -s /usr/lib/libspu-medialib.so.0.100.0 /usr/lib/libspu-medialib.so
cd usr/local/bin
cp -r * /usr/bin
cp -r * /usr/local/bin
cd

Don't close the terminal.
4) Download mplayer-ps3 from
http://proxima.isp.tula.ru:20080/mplaye ... 090904.zip
5) Extract it. Make it executible ( tick box about execution in permissions section of properties ). Run:
cp mplayer-ps3 /usr/bin

6) Download my small GUI script ( attached below ), extract it and make it executible also. Run:
cd
cp PS3MoviePlayer /usr/bin

7) Now we need to create a special terminal profile. So in terminal choose edit > profiles. Create new profile "mplayer". Now edit it, go to "title and command", find phrase "when command exits" and choose - close the terminal ( or how it was called ...) . Then go to "colors", untick box that says use colours from system theme and choose "text color" and "background color" to be black ( press on colour boxes of both and paste #000000 ). Go to "effects" and make sure that it uses solid color. Finally go to "scrolling" and choose "scrollbar is disabled". You have made neccessary changes, so close the profile window. ( But make sure that changes are there. )
8) Make a shortcut to run PS3MoviePlayer or add it to your applications.

TEST:
run
ps3-mplayer

and you should see its usage

Some notes:
- some resolutions don't work
- if you are using E17, tick box with auto-hide option in advanced configuration of your shelf ( panel )
- don't run any other SPU optimized programs when running mplayer-ps3 ( e.g. SPU optimized scaler )
- if ps3-mplayer failed to open some shared library, then install firstly package that provides it ( using http://www.rpmfind.net/ for example )
- Mplayer ( original mplayer ) will not work properly, if mplayer-ps3 is installed. ( Anyway, why would you need it ? )

Sorry for this messy guide. :P Enjoy ! :D
Attachments
spu-medialib_0.1git20071126-1_powerpc.tar.bz2
(189.76 KiB) Downloaded 643 times
xorg-add-on.rar
(275 Bytes) Downloaded 611 times
PS3MoviePlayer.rar
(307 Bytes) Downloaded 647 times
Last edited by alastor on 16 Feb 2010, 15:16, edited 10 times in total.
alastor
ydl lover
ydl lover

Re: Mplayer-ps3 ( FOR PRACTICAL USE )

Postby bonedome » 15 Jul 2009, 20:29

Hello
looks good I'll give this a go when I get a chance, I did try to install spu-medialib a while back but if I remember came to a dead end and the same with ps3fb.
bbc-iplayer has some hd content in .flv format which the game video player doesn't recognise and would be nice to get some use out of them spu's to watch hd vids.
Gametrailers.com has plenty of hd content aswell but video lags badly unless you use -framedrop with mplayer, which is good quality but pants frame rate.
Looking forward to trying this, thanks
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby alastor » 15 Jul 2009, 20:33

And this is my reason for installing linux on ps3.
BTW spu's are lazy, unless you actually give them some work. :lol:
alastor
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby alastor » 15 Jul 2009, 20:40

bonedome wrote:Hello
looks good I'll give this a go when I get a chance, I did try to install spu-medialib a while back but if I remember came to a dead end and the same with ps3fb.
bbc-iplayer has some hd content in .flv format which the game video player doesn't recognise and would be nice to get some use out of them spu's to watch hd vids.
Gametrailers.com has plenty of hd content aswell but video lags badly unless you use -framedrop with mplayer, which is good quality but pants frame rate.
Looking forward to trying this, thanks

I saw that thread about spu-medialib, but that spu-medialib is "new". I am using "old" version, which works.
alastor
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 15 Jul 2009, 23:05

alastor wrote:update glib ( 2.7 or greater )

Do you mean glibc? glib2 is at 2.12 - glibc is 2.5

This worries me a little - glibc is a pretty key library. Have you run into any issues with other applications in YDL since you updated this? I would want to make sure there's no other issues with a Red Hat Enterprise-based Linux like YDL (or CentOS) running a newer glibc.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby alastor » 16 Jul 2009, 14:28

ppietro wrote:
alastor wrote:update glib ( 2.7 or greater )

Do you mean glibc? glib2 is at 2.12 - glibc is 2.5

This worries me a little - glibc is a pretty key library. Have you run into any issues with other applications in YDL since you updated this? I would want to make sure there's no other issues with a Red Hat Enterprise-based Linux like YDL (or CentOS) running a newer glibc.

Cheers,
Paul

Hi, ppietro,
sorry for typo. Yes, i mean glibc. I have updated it about a mounth ago and there are no problems. :) I know older version of mplayer, which works with existing glibc, but ... there are a lot of wrong colours on the screen.
BTW, how do you think, will it be a good idia to compile glibc from source using ppu-gcc ? I know it is core library anyway. And you mentioned "glib2", but can i install "glib" ( just glib ) at the same time ?
UPDATE: I have got rid of typo. ( Why i am thinking about one and writing another ? :| )
alastor
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 16 Jul 2009, 19:58

alastor wrote:BTW, how do you think, will it be a good idea to compile glibc from source using ppu-gcc ? I know it is core library anyway.

Hmmm - maybe. It depends how complete the ppu-gcc compiler is. Remeber - all C programs use glibc to run. If there's the tiniest error in the library, then your C programs won't execute. If the ppu-gcc compiler can't handle C code exactly the same way as gcc, this might be an issue.

For example - I tried the libfreevec patch to YDL. This is a re-write of Glibc that takes advantage of the AltiVec processor in the PowerPC. My system seemed faster. However - I could no longer successfully compile Gnash 0.8.5. Luckily, libfreevec allows you to turn it on and off with a simple software switch.

alastor wrote:And you mentioned "glib2", but can i install "glib" ( just glib ) at the same time ?

glib? No - I think you have to load glibc. The two libraries appear to be glib2 and glibc. When I do an RPM search on my system, I get this:

[paulp@yurie lib64]$ rpm -qa|grep glib
glib2-2.12.3-2
glibc-devel-2.5-12
taglib-1.4-5.fc6
avahi-glib-0.6.16-1
glibc-common-2.5-12
glib2-devel-2.12.3-2
glibc-headers-2.5-12
glibc-devel-2.5-12
glibmm24-2.12.8-1.fc6
glibc-2.5-12
dbus-glib-0.70-5
dbus-glib-devel-0.70-5
glibc-2.5-12
NetworkManager-glib-0.6.4-8
[paulp@yurie lib64]$

UPDATE: Okay - I looked it up. You can install glib at the same time as glib2. glib is just the older toolkit for the Gimp (i.e. GTK+/GDK). glib2 is the more modern version of glib - GTK+/GDK. Many programs use these graphic libraries.

Personally - I wouldn't bother with glib, since glib2 is probably already installed on your system.

Remember - neither glib nor glib2 are related to glibc. :D glibc is the GNU libc libraries.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby alastor » 16 Jul 2009, 20:39

ppietro wrote:Hmmm - maybe. It depends how complete the ppu-gcc compiler is. Remeber - all C programs use glibc to run. If there's the tiniest error in the library, then your C programs won't execute. If the ppu-gcc compiler can't handle C code exactly the same way as gcc, this might be an issue.

So i probably will not risk ... ( And i was thinking about ppuxlc or even cbexlc. :roll: )
ppietro wrote:For example - I tried the libfreevec patch to YDL. This is a re-write of Glibc that takes advantage of the AltiVec processor in the PowerPC. My system seemed faster. However - I could no longer successfully compile Gnash 0.8.5. Luckily, libfreevec allows you to turn it on and off with a simple software switch.

Seems cool !
ppietro wrote:Okay - I looked it up. You can install glib at the same time as glib2. glib is just the older toolkit for the Gimp (i.e. GTK+/GDK). glib2 is the more modern version of glib - GTK+/GDK. Many programs use these graphic libraries.

Personally - I wouldn't bother with glib, since glib2 is probably already installed on your system.

Remember - neither glib nor glib2 are related to glibc. :D glibc is the GNU libc libraries.

I know it. :) I am trying to install XMMS from source, which needs glib ( not glib2 ). ( I compile every package from source using cbexlc, ppuxlc or ppu-gcc - for optimization. )
Thanks, Paul
alastor
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby alastor » 16 Jul 2009, 20:44

Let me know how mplayer-ps3 works for you. :wink:
alastor
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby bonedome » 17 Jul 2009, 17:07

Hello
1) Install compat-bzip
where did you get this ? google turns up nothing.
Also after downloading spu-medialib_0.1git20071126-1_powerpc.deb and extracting, there are 3 files one of which is data.tar.gz which will not untar :? here's the result
[b@localhost ~]$ tar -zxvf ~/data.tar.gz
./
./usr/
./usr/lib/
./usr/lib/libspu-medialib.la
./usr/lib/pkgconfig/
./usr/lib/pkgconfig/libspu-medialib.pc
./usr/lib/libspu-medialib.a
./usr/lib/libspu-medialib.so.0.100.0
./usr/local/
./usr/local/bin/
./usr/local/bin/spu_blit_yuv420
./usr/local/bin/spu_blit_yuv420_scale
./usr/local/bin/spu_yuv2argb_scaler
./usr/local/bin/spu_draw_rect
./usr/local/bin/spu_yuvscaler
./usr/local/bin/spu_blit_yuv422
./usr/local/bin/spu_yuv2rgb
./usr/include/
./usr/include/spu-medialib/
./usr/include/spu-medialib/spu_control.h
./usr/include/spu-medialib/yuv_datastructs.h
./usr/include/spu-medialib/draw_rect.h
./usr/include/spu-medialib/yuvscaler.h
./usr/include/spu-medialib/blitter.h
./usr/include/spu-medialib/yuv2rgb.h
./usr/include/spu-medialib/yuv2argb_scaler.h
./usr/include/spu-medialib/spu_medialib_types.h
./usr/include/spu-medialib/data_2d.h
./usr/lib/libspu-medialib.so
./usr/lib/libspu-medialib.so.0

what's with the files starting with a dot and where is this directory ~/spu-medialib_0.1git20071126-1_powerpc/data ? I knew I should've stayed in bed this morning :D
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby alastor » 17 Jul 2009, 18:21

bonedome wrote:Hello

1) Install compat-bzip

where did you get this ? google turns up nothing.

This was deleted. :shock:
Anyway, install then bzip2-libs.
bonedome wrote:what's with the files starting with a dot and where is this directory ~/spu-medialib_0.1git20071126-1_powerpc/data ? I knew I should've stayed in bed this morning :D

bonedome wrote:Also after downloading spu-medialib_0.1git20071126-1_powerpc.deb and extracting, there are 3 files one of which is data.tar.gz which will not untar :? here's the result

[b@localhost ~]$ tar -zxvf ~/data.tar.gz
./
./usr/
./usr/lib/
./usr/lib/libspu-medialib.la
./usr/lib/pkgconfig/
./usr/lib/pkgconfig/libspu-medialib.pc
./usr/lib/libspu-medialib.a
./usr/lib/libspu-medialib.so.0.100.0
./usr/local/
./usr/local/bin/
./usr/local/bin/spu_blit_yuv420
./usr/local/bin/spu_blit_yuv420_scale
./usr/local/bin/spu_yuv2argb_scaler
./usr/local/bin/spu_draw_rect
./usr/local/bin/spu_yuvscaler
./usr/local/bin/spu_blit_yuv422
./usr/local/bin/spu_yuv2rgb
./usr/include/
./usr/include/spu-medialib/
./usr/include/spu-medialib/spu_control.h
./usr/include/spu-medialib/yuv_datastructs.h
./usr/include/spu-medialib/draw_rect.h
./usr/include/spu-medialib/yuvscaler.h
./usr/include/spu-medialib/blitter.h
./usr/include/spu-medialib/yuv2rgb.h
./usr/include/spu-medialib/yuv2argb_scaler.h
./usr/include/spu-medialib/spu_medialib_types.h
./usr/include/spu-medialib/data_2d.h
./usr/lib/libspu-medialib.so
./usr/lib/libspu-medialib.so.0

what's with the files starting with a dot and where is this directory ~/spu-medialib_0.1git20071126-1_powerpc/data ? I knew I should've stayed in bed this morning :D

EDIT: I edited my post a little bit, so take a look. ( This time just download attached tar.bz2 file to your home dir and extract it. ) Tell me how it went !
alastor
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby bonedome » 18 Jul 2009, 00:49

Hello again
8.) Run login screen application.
by this do you mean gdmsetup, I'm completely out of touch with E17 and couldn't find any "favorite applications".
Also you can't cd into mplayer-ps3 so I simply moved that and PS3MoviePlayer as root
mv /home/joebloggs/mplayer-ps3 /usr/bin
or if you want to keep a copy cp instead of mv.
Oh yeah which version of glibc did you use and was it an rpm or did you build it yourself ?
I'm really tired now goodnight :D
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby darksoulzero » 18 Jul 2009, 05:22

Hi I have a problem with Mplayer I cant get it to full screen mode. every time I try it just doesn't work. I got it to work earlier today with VLC and with Mplayer but now it crashes, any help would be appreciated.

Also the controls for mplayer are non-responsive.

*edit I got it to play in VLC I just needed to change the aspect ratio;but, I'm still having problems with the non-responsive gui.
darksoulzero
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby alastor » 18 Jul 2009, 10:47

bonedome wrote:Also you can't cd into mplayer-ps3 so I simply moved that and PS3MoviePlayer as root

mv /home/joebloggs/mplayer-ps3 /usr/bin

or if you want to keep a copy cp instead of mv.

Sorry, i forgot that extraction works differently on linux and windows. :|
I updated glibc, using rpm. In configuration there are a lot more applications, which aren't enabled by default. So login screen is there.
EDIT: Thanks, bonedome, it is gdmsetup you need. :)
alastor
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby bonedome » 18 Jul 2009, 11:23

Hello darksoulzero
try this .mplayer config, mplayer always starts in fullscreen (with no borders) which is actually denoted by zoom=yes, fs=yes does the same thing in non gui but if you're using a gui then the gui fills the screen
##
## MPlayer config file
##
## This file can be copied to /usr/local/etc/mplayer.conf and/or ~/.mplayer/config .
## If both exist, the ~/.mplayer/config's settings override the
## /usr/local/etc/mplayer.conf ones. And, of course command line overrides all.
## The options are the same as in the command line, but they can be specified
## more flexibly here. See below.
##

vo=sdl # To specify default video driver (see -vo help for
# list)
ao=alsa # To specify default audio driver (see -ao help for
# list)

#fs=yes # Enlarges movie window to your desktop's size.
# Used by drivers: all

vm=yes # Tries to change to a different videomode
# Used by drivers: dga2, x11, sdl

bpp=24 # Force changing display depth.
# Valid settings are: 0, 15, 16, 24, 32
# may need 'vm=yes' too.
# Used by drivers: fbdev, dga2, svga, vesa

zoom=yes # Enable software scaling (powerful CPU needed)
# Used by drivers: svga, x11, vesa

double=yes # use double-buffering (recommended for xv with
# SUB/OSD usage)

# monitoraspect=4:3 # standard monitor size, with square pixels
 monitoraspect=16:9 # use this for widescreen monitor! non-square pixels

##
## Use GUI mode by default
##

gui = yes

I'd recommend puting it in ~/.mplayer. I removed gmplayer from /usr/bin as it's just unusable, here's the list of built in shortcuts, for fullscreen you can also hover the mouse cursor over the screen and type f
Basic keys: (complete list in the man page, also check input.conf)
 <-  or  ->       seek backward/forward 10 seconds
 down or up       seek backward/forward  1 minute
 pgdown or pgup   seek backward/forward 10 minutes
 < or >           step backward/forward in playlist
 p or SPACE       pause movie (press any key to continue)
 q or ESC         stop playing and quit program
 + or -           adjust audio delay by +/- 0.1 second
 o                cycle OSD mode:  none / seekbar / seekbar + timer
 * or /           increase or decrease PCM volume
 x or z           adjust subtitle delay by +/- 0.1 second
 r or t           adjust subtitle position up/down, also see -vf expand

which you can get from typing
mplayer -h
I've personally found mplayer without gui the best of the media players.
btw I'm using the latest version
I got it to work earlier today with VLC and with Mplayer but now it crashes, any help would be appreciated.
when you say you got it to work do you mean fullscreen or spu-medialib/ps3mplayer ?
I'm off to play some far cry 2 now :D
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Next

Return to Playstation 3