Mplayer-ps3 ( FOR PRACTICAL USE )

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: Mplayer-ps3 ( FOR PRACTICAL USE )

Postby Jaybps3 » 07 Mar 2010, 19:58

I figured out a way around rebuilding everything, Apparently I can force the new rpmbuild for x264 to create an extra symlink named libx264.so.60 and this will make vlc work fine, So all I have to do is rebuild one of the 2 x264 libs with an extra symlink.

I'll rebuild that and get it up asap and then we will have working mplayer-mt-ps3 which I am quite happy with, I can play dvd's and much more with mplayer and vlc works good too. Now I can get the gtkpod and rythmbox issue fixed again.
60GB PS3 (CECHA01) upgraded HDD 160gb, 40" Sony Bravia, Ydl 6 and plenty of other goodies :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/jaybps3
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby billb » 07 Mar 2010, 20:59

Jaybps3 wrote:Having trouble figuring out how to force a rpm build to install to a home directory. I can easily make it install to my home directory, However everyone's username is not jaybps3 so I gotta figure out how to set that globaly something like $HOME/ or something.

I've never figured exactly how to do that either (getting an rpm to install something to the user's home directory).

On a side note, I just lost all my specs and rpms I had recently built, I had openjpeg, gpac, and a x264 codec built that supported mp4 container in x264 video's not to mention many many other rpms, I had gtkpod libgpod and rythmbox compiled and working no conflicts, so much work down the drain.

I was using a old 40 gig ipod for storage etc and it took a crap on me the other day and when it went out it took all my work with it, sucked I was bummed for a day or so!

Ugh ... sorry to hear that. Doesn't help now, but you're always free to upload/backup whatever YDL related things you want on my server. :)
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jaybps3 » 07 Mar 2010, 21:28

Yeah I was actually gonna be uploading them but never got around to it before that happened.

Problem is solved I uploaded the new old x264, Here is something to ponder, I could not get mplayer to compile with the old libx264, So I updated to a recent revision, After that I found out that broke vlc, So I tried to rebuild vlc against the new libx264, Well that was a no go x264 errors all over the builds, So I tried to create a symlink from the new x264 library libx264.so.88 to the same number as the old library libx264.so.60 and that did not work, So I removed the new x264 and installed the old, That fixed vlc and broke mplayer. I then made a symlink from the old libx264.so.60 named libx264.so.88 and it actually worked, So I rebuilt the old libx264 and renamed it to the higher revision then the new one, And created a symlink from libx264.so.60 to libx264.so.88 in the rpm build and sure enough problem solved. If you notice the rpm revision says its higher then it really is then you'll know why.

Everything works great though on my end, Let me know how it works for you, I'm gonna try to make a rpm that will auto install the PS3MoviePlayer Script and the terminal profile for it.

Hope the feedback is good, hate to have to go through that mess again. I hacked the crap out of the spec file to get it to build with multithread and ps3 enabled.
60GB PS3 (CECHA01) upgraded HDD 160gb, 40" Sony Bravia, Ydl 6 and plenty of other goodies :)
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby uncholowapo » 07 Mar 2010, 23:52

In fedora it's outlawed but you can always use $HOME to define a persons home. It works for everyone. For example, for me when I do:
Code: Select all
echo $HOME

It comes out with
/home/juan
PS3 40GB has YDL 6.1 running 480i on a piece of $#!% Sanyo 24 incher. Need to go to 1080p.
uncholowapo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby billb » 08 Mar 2010, 00:52

uncholowapo wrote:In fedora it's outlawed but you can always use $HOME to define a persons home.

I don't think that's the issue here ... we were talking about having an RPM automatically install something to a user's home directory. Now if you were installing an RPM you'd be logged in as root, so even if it were to install something to $HOME it would be installing to root's home, right?
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 08 Mar 2010, 01:44

Jaybps3 wrote:You must not have noticed that alastor has a method which uses a blank terminal for video output thus taking care of the x windows problems! It works good you should try it...

I noticed - but I'm using E17, and it generally doesn't like mode switches like that. I'll admit - I haven't tried it, but I'll give it a shot. I'm not expecting it to work though.

Mainly - for me - I have mplayer, and I have mplayer-ps3. Mplayer gets a gui, mplayer-ps3 doesn't. That works fine for me. :D

UPDATE: I see there's an E17 setting that might help. I'll give that a shot.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 08 Mar 2010, 04:17

Okay - for those of you who've been asking.... I generated a build with the GUI:

./configure --cc='ppu-gcc -m32' --enable-ps3 --enable-faad-fixed --disable-ass
--disable-ass-internal --enable-gui --prefix=/usr/local/mplayer-ps3

(This build loads into a /usr/local/mplayer-ps3 directory so that I can test it. :))

If I run gmplayer, it's regular mplayer.

If I start gmplayer -lavdopts threads=2, then it appears to be multi-threaded.

If I start gmplayer -vo ps3, then it locks my system and I have to ctrl-alt-del to recover.

So - yeah - mplayer-ps3 is incompatible with the GUI. That's not to say it's incompatible with X Windows - just not the GUI.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jaybps3 » 08 Mar 2010, 05:53

ppietro wrote:Okay - for those of you who've been asking.... I generated a build with the GUI:

./configure --cc='ppu-gcc -m32' --enable-ps3 --enable-faad-fixed --disable-ass
--disable-ass-internal --enable-gui --prefix=/usr/local/mplayer-ps3

(This build loads into a /usr/local/mplayer-ps3 directory so that I can test it. :))

If I run gmplayer, it's regular mplayer.

If I start gmplayer -lavdopts threads=2, then it appears to be multi-threaded.

If I start gmplayer -vo ps3, then it locks my system and I have to ctrl-alt-del to recover.

So - yeah - mplayer-ps3 is incompatible with the GUI. That's not to say it's incompatible with X Windows - just not the GUI.

Cheers,
Paul

I post rpms of a mplayer build up on billbs ftp site, You can use gnome-mplayer as a gui for it all seems well. Billb did you add it to the testing repo?
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Jaybps3 » 08 Mar 2010, 10:33

After exhausting my efforts to resolve the x264 compatibility issue, I have concluded it is out of the question to get vlc-0.9.5 to build against the same x264 library needed by mplayer-mt-ps3.

The x264 rebuild did fix mplayer to where vlc and mplayer will work off the same x264 library, Because I created a symlink during the rpmbuild to the libx264.so.60 to libx264.so.88 and mplayer can run h.264 videos np using the linked .so file, However when trying to install mplayer using yum or standard package manager it fails with dependency error that libx264.so.88 is needed, Which means only way to install it is to force it to install using rpm -i mplayer --nodeps.

This will install it and it will work just fine, However it just wont install via yum, I am looking into this, I am thinking a rebuild of x264 with a modified x264.h will make it possible for mplayer and vlc to install via yum with no errors. If not it means people will have to yum install vlc and dependencies and then manually download and rpm -i --nodeps the mplayer.

I'm trying right now though I have the best media playback performance I've seen to date on YDL on ps3.
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Jaybps3 » 08 Mar 2010, 11:53

I solved this issue, I had to rebuild the old libx264 with increased libx264.so I just changed it to libx264.so.88 instead of libx264.so.60 and created a link from it to libx264.so.60...

Now mplayer will install via yum and vlc will also, So now it can be added to the repo and installs should go smoothly!!!
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby billb » 08 Mar 2010, 12:08

Great -- it may be this evening before I can add it to testing, though -- starting a new job today.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jaybps3 » 09 Mar 2010, 06:14

billb wrote:
uncholowapo wrote:In fedora it's outlawed but you can always use $HOME to define a persons home.

I don't think that's the issue here ... we were talking about having an RPM automatically install something to a user's home directory. Now if you were installing an RPM you'd be logged in as root, so even if it were to install something to $HOME it would be installing to root's home, right?

I think I have found the way around this, When you log on as root from the terminal and issue this command $HOME it shows /root but if you issue this command $USER it produces the user named at which is currently logged into X not who's logged into bash.

We should be able to do something like /home/$USER/ which would point to the current users home directory! I'll get the rpm together to auto install the terminal profile and a modified version of PS3MoviePlayer Script to get this working through the GUI gnome-mplayer. All setup automatically by rpm.

Currently to get multithread working in gnome-mplayer its as easy as going to preferences and there is a box for you to point to the mplayer binary and one for optional commands, You just point it to /usr/bin/mplayer and add the option -lavdopts threads=2 and this will make gnome-mplayer execute mplayer with multithread support for every video you load using it.

I think I am about to build gnash with ffmpeg multithread support and see if it actually becomes usable :) If so I will work an rpm up for us all....

I'll work on all this in a bit, I am currently rebuilding libgpod and gtkpod along with rhythmbox and deps again. Keep me posted and let me know when this mplayer build is up on the test repo.
Last edited by Jaybps3 on 09 Mar 2010, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby billb » 09 Mar 2010, 12:39

Jaybps3 wrote:I think I have found the way around this, When you log on as root from the terminal and issue this command $HOME it shows /root but if you issue this command $USER it produces the user named at which is currently logged into X not who's logged into bash.

We should be able to do something like /home/$USER/ which would point to the current users home directory!

That would only work if you'd become root using su instead of su - (or su -l, or su --login), so that's not a solution.

I haven't had time to update the testing repo yet -- maybe this evening. I'm not used to having a job any more but I like it. This will be the second day in a row I've had to put on pants! :P
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jaybps3 » 09 Mar 2010, 12:57

Understood, Well I just tested it on a fresh clean install did yum install vlc mozilla-vlc and then installed the mplayer gnome-mplayer mencoder x264 and xvidcore and everything installed smoothly and pulled deps it needed, So all is well mplayer-mt-ps3 is officially available via rpm installer. :D
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Jaybps3 » 09 Mar 2010, 17:21

billb wrote:
Jaybps3 wrote:I think I have found the way around this, When you log on as root from the terminal and issue this command $HOME it shows /root but if you issue this command $USER it produces the user named at which is currently logged into X not who's logged into bash.

We should be able to do something like /home/$USER/ which would point to the current users home directory!

That would only work if you'd become root using su instead of su - (or su -l, or su --login), so that's not a solution.

I haven't had time to update the testing repo yet -- maybe this evening. I'm not used to having a job any more but I like it. This will be the second day in a row I've had to put on pants! :P

Work is good, even better when you actually enjoy the work being done.

When you get around to adding the mplayer-mt-ps3 to the repository , I have rebuilt libgpod, and rhythmbox, and built an actual YDL gtkpod build as well as all the dependencies needed, Now rhythmbox opens with no errors at all plays my networked shares and ipod tracks with no problems. Also gtkpod works perfectly and the errors with compatible libgpod is no longer and issue, I rebuilt libgpod and python-gpod and then rebuilt gnome-mplayer gtkpod and rhythmbox against it, Everything runs smoothly no load errors and no problems what so ever.

You do need to install the fluendo mp3 codec to /usr/lib/rhythmbox/plugins and /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10 directories for mp3 playback with rhythmbox otherwise all problems related to these libraries are fixed! Gtkpod and rhythmbox can work without errors from the same libgpod :)
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3