PS3 Repartitioning

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

PS3 Repartitioning

Postby metalgearcoder » 07 Jan 2010, 15:12

I would like to know if it's possible to repartition the PS3 Hard Drive, and create a new partition with my existent free space on Hard Drive (like fips, Partition Magic can do), so I don't have to back-up everything that I have. I never repartitioned or formatted the PS3 Hard Drive since I got it.
metalgearcoder
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: PS3 Repartitioning

Postby billb » 07 Jan 2010, 16:09

No, it's not possible. You'll need to do the backup, format + create partition for YDL (10 GB recommended), and restore.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 07 Jan 2010, 20:13

metalgearcoder wrote:I would like to know if it's possible to repartition the PS3 Hard Drive, and create a new partition with my existent free space on Hard Drive (like fips, Partition Magic can do), so I don't have to back-up everything that I have. I never repartitioned or formatted the PS3 Hard Drive since I got it.

billb wrote:No, it's not possible. You'll need to do the backup, format + create partition for YDL (10 GB recommended), and restore.

I'd like to add a little to billb's answer. What we're talking about here is repartitioning the master PS3 drive from the GameOS XMB. That isn't possible: 1) you can't dynamically repartition and 2) you only have three partition choices - all to game os, 10 to other os, 10 to game os.

On the other hand - if you're talking about dynamically repartitioning your Linux partitions, you can use gparted to do that. That's assuming you didn't partition Linux to use all of the space in the first place - which YDL normally does by default. This isn't going to increase the overall Linux space - just reallocate within the space.

If you need a copy of gparted, we have a community version here:
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopi ... 701#p29701

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby metalgearcoder » 07 Jan 2010, 20:18

I'd like to add a little to billb's answer. What we're talking about here is repartitioning the master PS3 drive from the GameOS XMB.

Can I do that outside the GameOs XMB? I was thinking about take the hard drive out, plug it into my computer (I have some extra cables to do that), and then repartition it with some software like Partition Magic. We cannot expect anything great from the XMB Interface anyway.

By the way, which partition type the PS3 uses to store its data?

Thanks.
metalgearcoder
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 07 Jan 2010, 22:31

metalgearcoder wrote:Can I do that outside the GameOs XMB? I was thinking about take the hard drive out, plug it into my computer (I have some extra cables to do that), and then repartition it with some software like Partition Magic.

No - you can't. The PS3 encrypts the hard disc with a special key unique to your console. Putting the disc into the PC and attempting to repartition will destroy all of the encrypted PS3 data and you'll lose everything. :(

This is why you can't transfer hard discs between PS3s - they are specifically keyed to the PS3 they are installed in.

Your only partitioning options are the options we listed above.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 07 Jan 2010, 22:39

metalgearcoder wrote:Can I do that outside the GameOs XMB? I was thinking about take the hard drive out, plug it into my computer (I have some extra cables to do that), and then repartition it with some software like Partition Magic. We cannot expect anything great from the XMB Interface anyway.

It isn't simply a matter of a missing feature from the GameOS -- the hard drive is encrypted so you can't read the data from your computer or modify the partition(s). I don't know what partition type it uses. Even if you knew what partition type it used and it wasn't some proprietary format and you were to partition it from your computer, when you put it in the PS3 it would still format/encrypt/partition it again.

Which brings me back to my original answer -- no, it's not possible. :wink:

EDIT: Paul, you beat me to it again! :lol:
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby metalgearcoder » 08 Jan 2010, 04:38

Thanks billb, ppietro.

It looks like Sony is really paranoid about copies, and stuff like that. It only makes our life worse, even if we do not intend to copy games.

I have Guns Of The Patriots and Trofeo Pirelli, will I loose something that I will have to download again even if I make the back-ups?
metalgearcoder
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 08 Jan 2010, 05:03

metalgearcoder wrote:I have Guns Of The Patriots and Trofeo Pirelli, will I loose something that I will have to download again even if I make the back-ups?

I don't have any personal experience with those games and can't give you a definite answer.

All I can say is read this carefully:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... ility.html
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby spykez » 11 Jan 2010, 23:46

If you take the leap and attempt to repartition your ps3 HD (presumably to install YDL? yay! :D) AND you might just be afraid you'll lose your game data, there is one other alternative you could try besides the XMB backup (which apparently does not save 'some' game files or rather, and as I understand it, none of the online game downloads).

You could remove the HD, pop it in another machine with sufficient storage available and just make an entire device copy i.e. byte-for-byte with dd.

In theory I can't see why it cannot make an exact copy of the entire PS3 HD, encrypted or not. Of course, you will need a fair bit of storage, even if you compress the image. Save that as a backup for extra insurance and then pop it back in your PS3, and go try repart'ing it.

Note that I said in theory. :) I am pretty sure it will work but not having done it myself I cannot guarantee it - I'm happy enough that I'd do it myself in the situation you're in.

Another way to do it, which I guess you would have thought of as well, would be to have another HD installed into your PS3 and keep the original for games. You may have some old machines lying around with 2.5 inchers you wouldn't miss... Alternatively you may have a 'current' lappie and you could take advantage of this err... 'need' to upgrade its HD to an SSD :) thereby freeing a 2.5 incher for your PS3.

Just a couple of ideas for extra... errr 'insurance'...

Cheers
Rob
spykez
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby zerojay » 12 Jan 2010, 00:19

The XMB backup DOES save all of your downloaded games. Even if you decide not to save them, you can still redownload them from the PS Store as long as you restore the same account you bought them with.
zerojay
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby oeboeroe » 24 Jan 2010, 09:43

metalgearcoder wrote:Thanks billb, ppietro.

It looks like Sony is really paranoid about copies, and stuff like that. It only makes our life worse, even if we do not intend to copy games.

I have Guns Of The Patriots and Trofeo Pirelli, will I loose something that I will have to download again even if I make the back-ups?

I you are really paranoid, buy yourself a ps3 slim, upgrade to firmware 3.15 use the copy from to another ps3 function. Use the slim for your gaming/entertainment needs and the fat for your coding/os needs.
PS3 60GB model (10GB gameos) 3.15 firmware YDL 6.2
PS3 80GB model (10GB gameos) 3.15 firmware YDL 6.2
LG W2486L-PF FULLHD LED/TN.
WD Elements 1.5 TB USB2.0 (WDBAAU0015HBK-EESN)
oeboeroe
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Return to Playstation 3