Stella controller config

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Stella controller config

Postby Jakal » 14 Jan 2010, 18:55

Hi, this is my first post. I've recently installed YD6.2 on my 60GB PS3 and have successfully installed and configured many emulators; such as SNES1.51-GTK and Mednafen with wireless controller support. I installed Stella and it works great, except the controller configuration is "iffy" at best. I've tried mapping the controller buttons via the options > input screen, but it still doesn't work properly. The buttons have a tendency to be mapped randomly. Is there a way I can just add the controller values manually via a .config file? Thanks.
PS3 60GB (CECHA01) with YDL 6.2
37" LCD 1080i/720p Flatscreen
Tversity Media Server
Jakal
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Stella controller config

Postby billb » 14 Jan 2010, 22:41

Firmly holding down the button or direction on the D-Pad before clicking the Map button seems to work OK for me. Also I clicked Erase before mapping each one.

So that's:

Select control item
Click Erase
Hold down button / d-pad direction
Click Map
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jakal » 16 Jan 2010, 09:58

thanks for the reply. I tried the method you suggested, but it still randomly assigns buttons. It's like the controller is in "hyper" mode. If only I could simply edit a .config file. Am I the only one with this problem?
Tversity Media Server
Jakal
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 16 Jan 2010, 12:41

Jakal wrote:thanks for the reply. I tried the method you suggested, but it still randomly assigns buttons. It's like the controller is in "hyper" mode. If only I could simply edit a .config file. Am I the only one with this problem?

Which version of stella are you using? I'm using 3.0. I can see where occasionally I don't get what I'm trying for the first time, but it's not giving me a lot of trouble.

If you want to see what's causing the problem, install the joystick package which includes the jstest utility.

Code: Select all
yum install joystick

Assuming you have only one Sixaxis connected via Bluetooth or USB, the device should be /dev/input/js0, so you'd use:

Code: Select all
jstest /dev/input/js0

With that running, you can see where each of buttons (with the exception of Select, Start, and PS), including the D-pad, are pressure sensitive and reported as both axes and buttons. This causes problems for quite a few Linux games and emulators which weren't developed with a 28 axis,19 button pressure sensitive controller in mind. Plug in a regular PC gamepad and you won't experience this problem.

The config file for stella should be located at ~/.stella/stellarc (/home/yourusername/.stella/stellarc) but the lines for input don't look like something you'd want to edit by hand -- for example the joymap line for buttons is 793 columns wide on mine and is just a string of numbers separated by colons.

If you can give me an idea of how you'd like it set up I can try setting mine and posting the config file (ex. d-pad for up/down/left/right, X for button, configuring for two Sixaxis controllers).
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jakal » 18 Jan 2010, 02:31

Thanks for the replies. I would love to take you up on your offer of posting the configuration file. I think the button settings you suggested would work fine; d-pad with x as the fire button. I'm sure others would benefit from this as well.
Tversity Media Server
Jakal
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Playstation 3