Format only Linux Partition

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Format only Linux Partition

Postby Jakal » 22 Jan 2010, 22:09

I was reinstalling Linux onto my PS3, and it crashed before it could boot into the cd; after loading the otheros file. I had to reset the PS3 to factory settings, and won't install the linux. I figure a format would fix it, but I don't want to format the whole disk again and lose my game saves. Is there a way to just format the linux partition without affecting the rest of the HDD?
PS3 60GB (CECHA01) with YDL 6.2
37" LCD 1080i/720p Flatscreen
Tversity Media Server
Jakal
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Format only Linux Partition

Postby oeboeroe » 23 Jan 2010, 09:15

Jakal wrote:I was reinstalling Linux onto my PS3, and it crashed before it could boot into the cd; after loading the otheros file. I had to reset the PS3 to factory settings, and won't install the linux. I figure a format would fix it, but I don't want to format the whole disk again and lose my game saves. Is there a way to just format the linux partition without affecting the rest of the HDD?

If you are unsure about the current status of your PS3 HD and it's contents, please use the feature under system settings and make a backup of your current gameos (system settings). Please read about features/data covered by this process through sonys online help/manual.

New in 3.10/15 is the copy from one ps3 to another, this feature includes support for copyrighted material and I have tested it and it works as designed. For me there were just 2 problems I encountered which will be forwarded to sony-dev.

1) the DVD db was not copied, what I mean is the new ps3 did not play the dvd from where I stopped it (on the old ps3) but started it from the beginning

2) I had several corrupted dynamic themes, this was easily mitigated by removing the corrupted files and re-downloading them from PSN.

Hope this helps!
PS3 60GB model (10GB gameos) 3.15 firmware YDL 6.2
PS3 80GB model (10GB gameos) 3.15 firmware YDL 6.2
LG W2486L-PF FULLHD LED/TN.
WD Elements 1.5 TB USB2.0 (WDBAAU0015HBK-EESN)
oeboeroe
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 23 Jan 2010, 10:09

Jakal wrote:I was reinstalling Linux onto my PS3, and it crashed before it could boot into the cd; after loading the otheros file. I had to reset the PS3 to factory settings, and won't install the linux. I figure a format would fix it, but I don't want to format the whole disk again and lose my game saves. Is there a way to just format the linux partition without affecting the rest of the HDD?

Yes - there is.

FIRST - DO NOT FORMAT OR REPARTITION FROM THE XMB!!! :D

Okay - now - if you haven't, make sure your YDL install DVD isn't corrupt. If you just downloaded an ISO to create it - verify the download with SHA1SUM. http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/iso/SHA1SUM-HOWTO has quick instructions. If you can, verify the disc as well. NOTE: The ISO SHA1SUM won't match the disc exactly - see here: http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-use ... blems.html

Once we know you have good media, try reinstalling the otheros.bld file from the YDL DVD. This is the Install Other OS command from the XMB. If you still have trouble reading it from the DVD, copy it to a USB (FAT32) thumbdrive, and install it from there.

Next, set Default System to OtherOS and reboot with the YDL Install DVD in the drive. You should be able to format the Linux partition from the YDL installer. Don't worry - if you're in the OtherOS, you can't wipe the GameOS formatting.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jakal » 25 Jan 2010, 15:49

Thanks, I finally got it to reinstall YD6.2 without having to reformat the entire disk. It finally accepted the otheros file from the DVD. I guess the corrupted file got overwritten from new data. I think I know how I screwed it up in the first place. When the file was transfering from the DVD to the PS3 HDD, I removed the USB thumb drive. I think this screwed up the configuration somehow. I removed it, because I know during installation, with the USB thumb drive inserted, that YD6.2 wants to install to the USB (Or at least it looks that way). Anyway, all's well that ends well.
PS3 60GB (CECHA01) with YDL 6.2
37" LCD 1080i/720p Flatscreen
Tversity Media Server
Jakal
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Playstation 3