Bluetooth sixaxis as mouse - 6.2YDL

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Bluetooth sixaxis as mouse - 6.2YDL

Postby 7up » 28 Jan 2010, 15:39

Firstly its good to be back, a new tv manage to render my old 6.1 install useless, unable even change ps3 videomode, i thought id try ps3buntu, just to find it both obsolete at playback and gnash streaming youtube, so here i am, back to 6.2. YDL truly is the best choice for ps3, but i best get to the point.

After installing the custom kernel and booting from it by default, i then installed protectivedads xorg joystick driver 'xorg-x11-drv-joystick-1.2.3-PD1.ppc.rpm' - i then proceeded to backup my xorg file and added the lines suggested in the thread i got protectivedad's RPM from.

after running the commands suggested to test the output of js0, i can confirm that as a general joystick, the sixaxis works great!, however, its the matter of having the axis work in the capacity of moving the mouse cursor, i thought the xorg changes and driver installation would make this a simple task. Im more than likely to blame - and made a mess of the whole thing, following is the content of my xorg file thats currently in use.

as always, thanks for your kind help here, and although unrelated to this thread i can also say im not suffering the HDMI issue.

# File generated by Xautoconfig.
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Joystick0" "SendCoreEvents"
Option "OffTime" "10"
EndSection

Section "Files"
# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database. Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db"). There is normally
# no need to change the default.

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.

FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1/"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/korean:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/cyrillic:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-2/misc:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-2/75dpi:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-2/100dpi:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-9/misc:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-9/75dpi:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-9/100dpi:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/KOI8-R/misc:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/KOI8-R/75dpi:unscaled"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "fbdevhw"
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
#Load "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
# Change "XkbModel" to "macintosh_old" if you are using
# the deprecated adb keycodes.
Option "XkbModel" "macintosh"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Joystick0"
Driver "joystick"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/js0"
# This is the default Axis mapping for moving the mouse pointer
Option "MapAxis1" "mode=relative axis=+1x deadzone=1000"
Option "MapAxis2" "mode=relative axis=+1y deadzone=1000"
# These allow you to scroll up-down and left-right using the second Axis
Option "MapAxis3" "mode=relative axis=+1zx deadzone=1000"
Option "MapAxis4" "mode=relative axis=+1zy deadzone=1000"
# Map the PS button to disable/enable mouse events
# When using the joystick in another program you need to disable the mouse events
Option "MapButton17" "disable-mouse"
# Map the X, Y and B buttons respectively
Option "MapButton16" "button=1"
Option "MapButton13" "button=2"
Option "MapButton14" "button=3"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
ModelName "Monitor Model"
Option "DPMS"
HorizSync 30-130
VertRefresh 50-160

EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Option "ShadowFB" "false"
#Option "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"
Driver "fbdev"
#BusID "0:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
DefaultFbBpp 32
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
FbBpp 32
Modes "1688x964"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
FbBpp 32
Modes "1688x964"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
FbBpp 32
Modes "1688x964"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
Group 0
Mode 0666
EndSection

thanks again for any light you can shed on this issue.
One by one, the penguins steal my sanity.. and my lemonade!
7up
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Bluetooth sixaxis as mouse - 6.2YDL

Postby billb » 28 Jan 2010, 16:13

7up wrote:After installing the custom kernel and booting from it by default, i then installed protectivedads xorg joystick driver 'xorg-x11-drv-joystick-1.2.3-PD1.ppc.rpm' - i then proceeded to backup my xorg file and added the lines suggested in the thread i got protectivedad's RPM from.

I think we need a different version of that driver -- haven't really looked into it yet.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 7up » 28 Jan 2010, 17:49

thing is, as soon as i used that driver, my 6axis functioned normally, is there any other known methods for mapping your joystick as a mouse, billb?
7up
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 28 Jan 2010, 18:32

7up wrote:thing is, as soon as i used that driver, my 6axis functioned normally

Not sure what you mean ... on YDL 6.2, the Sixaxis won't work over bluetooth until you update the kernel, reboot, and go through the normal pairing process. It doesn't have anything to do with the driver you mentioned. And it should work OK via USB on a non-updated 6.2 install.

Anyway, staying on topic, anyone have the Sixaxis working as a mouse on YDL 6.2 and care to share exactly how you got it working?
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PlumB » 29 Jan 2010, 01:24

Hello,

I was able to get it working following Coolie4's guide but I had to make a few changes. Don't know if you followed the same guide but it seemed to be installing the driver in the wrong place.

Start here: http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5109&hilit=sixaxis+as+mouse

Here are the changes I made:
1. I installed xorg-x11-server-devel from the repo not the installation disc.
2. I think you have to make auto.sh executable before you run it. Right click on it and select properties, click on the permissions tab, check the box that says "allow executing file as program".
3. When you compile the driver just use this command:
Code: Select all
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
su
root password
make install

For some reason when I used: ./configure $XORG_PREFIX it wouldn't work, OH, maybe because I missed this line: ./autogen.sh :oops:
Don't know if that would have made a difference, but anyway --prefix=/usr worked for me.

Your xorg.conf should work the way it is.

Then you need to ctrl alt backspace to kill x and log back in. Make sure the controller is connected before you restart x.

Also, I used a newer driver from here: http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/x.org/X11R7.4/src/driver/xf86-input-joystick-1.3.2.tar.gz
I couldn't get the one linked in coolie4's guide to send key presses, but it should work for mouse.

Hope this helps, let me know if you still can't get it working.
PlumB
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby 7up » 30 Jan 2010, 03:59

can anyone confirm this working? id be happy to give it a go if i was sure this method applied to a 6.2 YDL
7up
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby PlumB » 30 Jan 2010, 05:07

Yes, I'm running 6.2 and it is working fine for me.
PlumB
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby DWAH » 25 Feb 2010, 02:06

Help! I edited my xorg.conf file to try to use my PS3 controller as a mouse on YDL 6.2 and I must have done something wrong because it won't boot up (X) any more. I didn't back up my xorg.conf file but if I can edit it from command line I could take the lines I added out. Or is there another way to reset the file? I'm sure thats what it is since it's the only change I made since last reboot..
DWAH
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Jaybps3 » 25 Feb 2010, 02:19

DWAH wrote:Help! I edited my xorg.conf file to try to use my PS3 controller as a mouse on YDL 6.2 and I must have done something wrong because it won't boot up (X) any more. I didn't back up my xorg.conf file but if I can edit it from command line I could take the lines I added out. Or is there another way to reset the file? I'm sure thats what it is since it's the only change I made since last reboot..

Yes you can edit and remove the lines you have added to xorg from command prompt.

You have to use vi its a terminal based text editor to use it you just use vi /etc/whatever-file-needs-edited.
60GB PS3 (CECHA01) upgraded HDD 160gb, 40" Sony Bravia, Ydl 6 and plenty of other goodies :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/jaybps3
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 25 Feb 2010, 02:23

DWAH wrote:Help! I edited my xorg.conf file to try to use my PS3 controller as a mouse on YDL 6.2 and I must have done something wrong because it won't boot up (X) any more. I didn't back up my xorg.conf file but if I can edit it from command line I could take the lines I added out. Or is there another way to reset the file? I'm sure thats what it is since it's the only change I made since last reboot..

I'd like to get a couple of folks to confirm this first, but I think you could use Xautoconfig to regenerate the file.

Alternatively, if you know the lines you added, you could use nano to edit the file. It's a friendly text mode file editor.

You'll want to start it with the -w switch, to prevent word wrap. You would use the following command - as root user

nano -w /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. As jaybps3 mentioned, vi will work as well. However - nano is a little more friendly for beginners. We do have a mini-vi tutorial here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4202
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Musoka Eimin » 16 Apr 2010, 09:33

So I have everything done following the instructions here, and at the appropriately linked guide (using the 1.3.2 driver as posted for ydl 6.2) with one small issue... When I boot trying to use sixaxis as mouse, the cursor continually drifts to the top left corner of the screen rendering it unusable. I have seen a similar post on another thread but he said after it booted he was fine, mine is not unfortunately.

I have checked and the buttons are mapped and working fine as mouse clicks, and if I hold right on the stick you can see the cursor is fighting. Here is the thing, even after I hold down the PS button and shut off the controller, the icon still drifts top left. If I use the mouse and pull the cursor down to the right and it still continues up even after the controller is off. Furthermore if I hold the analogue stick down and right to counter the behavior and power off the controller at this point the mouse cursor stays where it is for the most part but wobbles around ever so slightly as it did while the controller was on with the stick down and right to cancel the effect. If I boot up using these same files and configurations and do not try to use the controller as a mouse, everything functions properly. I'm including these details so someone might use the behavior to help me identify the source of the issue.

I ended up having to modify my xorg.conf because nothing happened at all without doing that.

This is the top of my xorg.conf modified to include joystick data.

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Joystick0" "SendCoreEvents"
Option "OffTime" "10"
EndSection

And this is the input section I added for the joystick.

Section "InputDevice"

# When using the joystick in another program you need to disable the mouse events
Identifier "Joystick0"
Driver "joystick"
Option "MapAxis1" "mode=relative axis=+1x deadzone=1000"
Option "MapAxis2" "mode=relative axis=+1y deadzone=1000"
Option "MapButton17" "disable-mouse"
Option "MapButton15" "button=1"
EndSection

I'm stumped, I don't know this all well enough yet to know what the problem is, but I don't think there is a problem with my xorg.conf... I found what I believe is a newer version xf86-input-joystick-1.5.0.tar.gz, but I see no mention of that here. Do I need to compile it again based on the newer version? I mean both my sixaxis work fine otherwise, and have for more than a year, its just now that I'm tackling this mouse/controller thing that I am having an issue.

Help please, thank you. :oops:
Musoka Eimin
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Bluetooth sixaxis as mouse - 6.2YDL SOLVED

Postby Musoka Eimin » 16 Apr 2010, 14:10

Ugh, after many hours of playing with and learning about jstest, and man joystick. I found that axes 5 and 6 were active for an unknown reason and not bound to any keys (maybe not configured accelerometers?). This led me to do a little investigation on the web, and found a tip in an old ubuntu forums post. I disabled axes 5 and 6 in xorg.conf, problem solved. :) :shock: :o :D :wink: :lol:

My new xorg.conf is working perfectly I am happy to report, so if people run into this issue they can fix it. Here is the section for those who are just figuring this out. You can see I added in axes 5 and 6 and set mode to none. I hope this saves someone the hours of frustration it took me lol.

I setup and changed a few things other than adding the axes (or is plural axis still axis?). I pepped up the mouse and made it a bit faster, I bound turning off mouse events to the L3. The PS button has been configured as the escape key, and for some reason that I can't figure out my R3 works as a right click as well as the circle button. For the uninitiated the other keys are setup as, right stick scrolls up, down, left, and right. X is left click, Triangle is mid click, and Circle is right click (along with R3 which I can't figure out but can live with :P)

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Joystick0"
Driver "joystick"
Option "MapAxis1" "mode=relative axis=+1.5x deadzone=1000"
Option "MapAxis2" "mode=relative axis=+1.5y deadzone=1000"
Option "MapAxis5" "mode=none"
Option "MapAxis6" "mode=none"
Option "MapButton2" "disable-mouse"
Option "MapButton15" "button=1"
# Map for Esc Key
Option "MapButton17" "key=Escape"
EndSection

Hope this helps somebody at some point. Happy to help if anyone is having trouble, I know the instructions are in multiple places. :mrgreen:
Musoka Eimin
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Playstation 3