SHA1SUM question

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

SHA1SUM question

Postby rubecscubed » 08 Feb 2010, 11:59

[MODERATOR EDIT: I think we're trying to keep that topic with no follow ups - also this is possible topic piggy backing. So - let's split this off as a new question too. -Paul]

Ok so it begins! I have downloaded the iso. I downloaded the sha1sum file. Where do I find this command line that the server refers to? I rightcliked to open the iso wth the sha1sum and black window opened but I can't write anything in there?? Looks like this is gonna be an adventure for me :mrgreen:
ps3 160gb model 98038
vizio model sv42om 42" lcd hdmi
rca 5.1 surround sound on optical
thanks2mybarbi!!!
rubecscubed
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: SHA1SUM question

Postby ppietro » 08 Feb 2010, 12:10

rubecscubed wrote:Ok so it begins! I have downloaded the iso. I downloaded the sha1sum file. Where do I find this command line that the server refers to? I rightcliked to open the iso wth the sha1sum and black window opened but I can't write anything in there?? Looks like this is gonna be an adventure for me :mrgreen:

You don't mention if you're using a Mac, Linux or a PC, but I think you're using Windows.

So - what you want to do in Windows is put the SHA1SUM.EXE in the same folder that your ISO lives in. Next, you need to manually open a command window. The easiest way - if you're running XP - is to click the start menu, click Run..., and type CMD. This will open up the black window. Use the CD command to change directories to the SHA1SUM.EXE/ISO folder, and then you run the command manually from there.

If you've put these items on your desktop, the directory is
C:\Documents and Settings\your_user_name\Desktop

where you replace your_user_name with the name of your login

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rubecscubed » 08 Feb 2010, 12:39

oops did it again didn't I? (them dam noobs) :lol: Yes I'm running this on windows xp. Ok I'll go do that and see if I can manage to do that. Thanks again Paul, once again my apologies :mrgreen:
ps3 160gb model 98038
thanks2mybarbi!!!
rubecscubed
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby rubecscubed » 08 Feb 2010, 13:32

What a dumba>>>! I downloaded the iso right, and instead of opening it, I saved it and then I tried to put it in a folder so the sha1sum could have a cozy place to share and I LOST the iso somewhere!so I'm doin a do over and this time I told the program to open when done because guess what? It goes into a folder! I been up all nite prepping things an then this happens! Hey thanks for the help and I'll attempt this later, now that I got better idea of whats goin on here. :mrgreen:
ps3 160gb model 98038
thanks2mybarbi!!!
rubecscubed
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 08 Feb 2010, 20:35

rubecscubed wrote:What a dumba>>>! I downloaded the iso right, and instead of opening it, I saved it and then I tried to put it in a folder so the sha1sum could have a cozy place to share and I LOST the iso somewhere!so I'm doin a do over and this time I told the program to open when done because guess what? It goes into a folder! I been up all nite prepping things an then this happens! Hey thanks for the help and I'll attempt this later, now that I got better idea of whats goin on here. :mrgreen:

Your file is probably still there. I'd just search your hard disc for it. (i.e. use Search from the Start menu)

As for open when done, that's not a good idea. ISOs are seen by the system like .ZIP files - but you don't want to do this, because you'll lose boot sector data. You just want to save them to disc - IMHO.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rubecscubed » 09 Feb 2010, 00:48

My Barbi suggested that I use the flash stik I had with the iso download on it instead of waitin another 2 hrs. ( ain't she great!) So does it matter what sequence I join the 2 folders together or does the sha1sum folder have to go into the iso folder first? :mrgreen:
ps3 160gb model 98038
thanks2mybarbi!!!
rubecscubed
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby rubecscubed » 09 Feb 2010, 01:21

Got the CDcommand window open. You refer to the items as being on the desktop, I put these items in my documents. The CDcommand reads as follows: C:\Documents and settings\Compaq_Administrator>. Are the cold shivers runnin down my spine justified or do I continue with putin in my logon name. Is the logon name something intregal to the insatll on the ps3? Yep here we go again. :mrgreen:
ps3 160gb model 98038
thanks2mybarbi!!!
rubecscubed
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 09 Feb 2010, 08:41

rubecscubed wrote:Got the CDcommand window open. You refer to the items as being on the desktop, I put these items in my documents. The CDcommand reads as follows: C:\Documents and settings\Compaq_Administrator>. Are the cold shivers runnin down my spine justified or do I continue with putin in my logon name. Is the logon name something intregal to the insatll on the ps3? Yep here we go again. :mrgreen:

Your login name appears to be Compaq_Administrator. Based on this, I think the command would be:

cd "\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Administrator\My Documents"

You need to put sha1sum.exe in the same folder with the ISO file, and both should be in My Documents. Niether should be in a sub folder beyond that.

BTW: The login name is your XP name and has no bearing on the ps3.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rubecscubed » 10 Feb 2010, 10:22

I hope I'm not piggybackin here but, did the sha1sum and burnt my disc and formatted and partitioned my ps3! Now I have a blocky screen with 2 blocky penguins at the top and a bunch of stuff that I can't read too well. I can make out the kboot blinkin for a command, what's the next step? And just out of curiosity I typed in game and it went back to the sony os :mrgreen:
ps3 160gb model 98038
thanks2mybarbi!!!
rubecscubed
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 10 Feb 2010, 10:29

rubecscubed wrote:I hope I'm not piggybackin here but, did the sha1sum and burnt my disc and formatted and partitioned my ps3! Now I have a blocky screen with 2 blocky penguins at the top and a bunch of stuff that I can't read too well. I can make out the kboot blinkin for a command, what's the next step? And just out of curiosity I typed in game and it went back to the sony os :mrgreen:

Yup - that's the definition of piggybacking.

You're done with SHA1SUM - it worked. Now - you have a new question - new topic. If the question was tangentially related - i.e. okay, I SHA1SUMed the ISO, is there a way to SHA1SUM the finished disc to compare? - then, you could keep going. Otherwise, it's best to let this thread end.

Anyway - I'll go ahead and answer you here to save time.

It sounds like you need to finish the Linux install. See the documentation here:
YDL 6.2: http://www.ydl.net/support/installation ... _guide.pdf
YDL 6.1: http://www.ydl.net/support/installation ... _guide.pdf

Locking this thread to further posts.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Playstation 3