Firefox 3.0.14 is done

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: Firefox 3.0.14 is done

Postby ppietro » 18 Feb 2010, 10:12

ppietro wrote:The complete list of Firefox changes are here:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/releases/

Ah - found it. Here's the list I used to monitor when I was generating Firefox builds for the PS2 community:
http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities

The ones we're concerned with are here:
http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-v ... fox30.html

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Legendary_Agent » 18 Feb 2010, 10:31

thx, when installing i get error config file accessing yum extra repo, i get tons of missing libraries trying to update the yum packages even tough they are there, it happened once i switched to bodega repo system from the old fedora dribble livna stable ones, do you recommend me a re-install? or is there a easier method?
Legendary_Agent
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 18 Feb 2010, 12:31

Legendary_Agent wrote:thx, when installing i get error config file accessing yum extra repo, i get tons of missing libraries trying to update the yum packages even tough they are there, it happened once i switched to bodega repo system from the old fedora dribble livna stable ones, do you recommend me a re-install? or is there a easier method?

First - if you're using ps3bodega now, double check that fedora-extras, livna & dribble are disabled.

Next - make sure ps3bodega entry is in /etc/yum.repos.d and is enabled. billb has an rpm for this - you'll need to be root user to install this:
Code: Select all
rpm -ivh http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/ps3linux/ps3bodega62/ppc/ps3bodega-release-6.2-1.noarch.rpm

Also - I don't think you need yum-protectbase with this setup. Make sure that's off - I think you can do that by taking the protect= lines out of all of the repo files. (I hesitate to tell you to uninstall protectbase at this point - it might be hard to get back!)

Finally - I'd make sure that all the library information is clean by doing this command as root user:
yum clean all

-----------------------------------------------------------
Second part of document
==========================================

If that doesn't fix it, you can always revert back to fedora-extras/dribble/livna-stable temporarily and install Firefox manually. If you decide to do this, you'll want to disable ps3bodega & yellowdog-extras, enable fedora-extras, dribble & livna-stable, setup protectbase (protect=1) on yellowdog-base, yellowdog-updates & yellowdog-extras, then install Firefox manually per the steps below.

A manual install of Firefox has at least two files: Firefox & Xulrunner. If you're using 6.2:
http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/ps3li ... -1.ppc.rpm
and
http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/ps3li ... -1.ppc.rpm

If you need more files due to dependencies, and yum can't find them in the standard repos, the full list is here:
http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/ps3li ... ega62/ppc/

To install Firefox manually, assuming you already have it on your YDL installation
su
rpm -Uvh xulrunner-1.9.0.14-1.ppc.rpm
rpm -Uvh firefox-3.0.14-1.ppc.rpm

xulrunner always has to be installed first. You might need updated nss and/or nspr libraries. Otherwise, Firefox is pretty mellow on dependencies.

billb will have to shed light on best practices for fedora/dribble/livna users who want to use ps3bodega. I don't think you can intermix the repos very well, as you've discovered.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. Very sleepy right now - 3:48 AM.... Not sure if this post makes sense. I'll edit it tomorrow for clarity, correctness, etc. In my half asleep head, this looks about right.
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Legendary_Agent » 18 Feb 2010, 15:43

Hey, thx m8, ill do those steps and post back info once i get home.
Legendary_Agent
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby billb » 18 Feb 2010, 16:56

Legendary_Agent wrote:thx, when installing i get error config file accessing yum extra repo, i get tons of missing libraries trying to update the yum packages even tough they are there, it happened once i switched to bodega repo system from the old fedora dribble livna stable ones, do you recommend me a re-install? or is there a easier method?

If you post the FULL output from yum update firefox (as root) I'll check it out, but can't promise I'll have a fix for it.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bonedome » 18 Feb 2010, 19:56

Thanks Paul and Billb much appreciated :D
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Legendary_Agent » 19 Feb 2010, 09:19

billb wrote:

If you post the FULL output from yum update firefox (as root) I'll check it out, but can't promise I'll have a fix for it.

hey, its the same error as before and i did what paulp said, i still get it, gonna see if i can manually uninstall those "missing dependencies" which aint missing and reinstall them back again. ill do it once i get back home, btw sry i couldnt reply yesterday..
Had some work to do.
Legendary_Agent
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby Legendary_Agent » 20 Feb 2010, 03:38

updated successfuly with bodega, ydl extra, ydl base, ydl update repositories activated and unprotected, i managed to do this by following mr billb recomendation uninstalling all packages that appeared as dependencies even when they were clearelly installed (mine were:
pulseaudio-module-x11,
vcdimager,
gstreamer-plugins-ugly).
This is possibly due a version conflict as billb said it once, so ive followed the steps indicated by ppietro (please note, if you are 100% sure youve configured your bodega repo files properly those steps are not needed), and once i opened firefox explorer ive noticed it was checking the addons compatibility list meaning the latest version was installed, ive confirmed it by looking in help, about option.

The first bug that i noticed is when i click to play a music with rhythmbox, it takes around 5 seconds to start playing, i got the feeling that this did not happen before, audacious plays fine, tested mp3 and wma.

My real concern is Mplayer GUI refuses to start now, is there a fix?

As usual Thank you billb and ppietro for your great support to help me with my small issues, and forgive my dull questions, its rly the first time i mess with a linux :P

EDIT: mplayer plugin also not working in firefox, flash player plugin (gnash 0.8.6 also not working anymore since update, ive tested it in a specific site i know and now its not working anymore)
Legendary_Agent
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby billb » 20 Feb 2010, 04:00

Legendary_Agent wrote:EDIT: mplayer plugin also not working in firefox, flash player plugin (gnash 0.8.6 also not working anymore since update, ive tested it in a specific site i know and now its not working anymore)

gnash is probably not happy with the newer version of boost from ps3bodega and would likely need to be rebuilt against that. For mplayer, I'm hoping jaybps3 will provide new rpms for that soon, and/or we'll have mplayer-ps3 in there (maybe regular mplayer and mplayer-ps3 can be made to coexist peacefully).
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Legendary_Agent » 20 Feb 2010, 04:43

cool, thx for the info i will rebuild gnash, but ugh it took me 9 hours straight last time i started the compiling process xD

as for mplayer is there by any chance a hope to get GUI for it? or am i just living in a wonderland? :P

Oh also you ppl dont support rhythmbox? i liked it mostly because of its audio quality + internet radio, if you no longer support it would you recommend me a player with same audio quality?

Thank you in advance!
Legendary_Agent
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 20 Feb 2010, 10:46

Legendary_Agent wrote:as for mplayer is there by any chance a hope to get GUI for it? or am i just living in a wonderland?

You mean mplayer-ps3, with the SPU acceleration? Unfortunately, if you use it in SPU mode, it writes directly to the screen, ignoring your X Windows desktop and windows. Basically, it just puts a video in the center of the screen and blacks out the rest of your desktop - which then spends the rest of the video fighting mplayer.

To avoid this screen thrashing, you can run it from a text console instead - which doesn't use the GUI since that only runs in X Windows.

You could compile mplayer-ps3 with GUI support - and use a different internal video driver - but without SPU acceleration, it's not that much different from the mplayer+GUI that's already available in our repos.

In fact, the current GUI in our repos might work with this custom build. I'll have to look into that a little.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Legendary_Agent » 20 Feb 2010, 15:37

ok thx, looking forward to it, please tell me when its safe to install the mplayer+spu
Legendary_Agent
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 20 Feb 2010, 18:45

Legendary_Agent wrote:ok thx, looking forward to it, please tell me when its safe to install the mplayer+spu

It's safe now, if you want to build it from source. Just follow the steps I outline here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5975&start=60#p36528

Otherwise, you'll have to wait for the community to do RPM builds. I'm not working on those.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Playstation 3