Setting up a static IP address

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: Setting up a static IP address

Postby CronoCloud » 22 Mar 2010, 14:52

Why not just shut off the udhcp service if you're not using it?

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby Larry214 » 22 Mar 2010, 21:11

I'm new to linux and did not know how to do that. From the other article on udhcpc, the service starts before the kboot prompt, and I was unclear on what to do after that. The way I modified the start file seems to work. But if you know a better way, please let me know! :)

Thanks!
Larry214
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby dan_f14 » 04 Apr 2010, 12:54

Larry214 wrote:Dan,

I am having the same problem. I am building a cluster of 8 PS3s. A few of them have the same problem you described. The issue is with the udhcpc service . See this link (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4963&p=27810&hilit=udhcpc#p27810).

My solution is to add a command to the start file that basically restarts the network service after the system initializes. To do this edit etc/rc.local file.
Add the line /sbin/service network restart and then save and reboot.

This should get your static IP to come up each time. I did this earlier today and it still seems to be working.

Good Luck!

Larry

I've tried adding the line /sbin/service network restart to the file etc/rc.local however it does not seem to do anything :( It doesn't seem to restart the network connection and I have to do the old ifdown eth0 ifup eth0 to get it on the correct ip address. Am I doing anything wrong?

Cheers
Dan
dan_f14
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: Setting up a static IP address (SOLUTION!)

Postby faken » 06 Jan 2012, 21:10

I also had this problem, and the rc.local solution didn't really work. Restarting the network after login did work, which means that there's stuff happening after the commands in rc.local are executed. More specifically, the wicd service is always the last one to configure network settings, and it resets the configuration set in the network manager, or respective configuration files. So the solution is simple, disable the wicd service. It's working for me so far.
faken
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby mahmoud1468 » 24 Jun 2012, 13:19

Dear All,

Altough I changed my /etc/rc.local to run the command "/sbin/service/network restart" it does not work properly for me. Actually when I restart my network, eth0 ip becomes true, but after some minutes, and maybe some hours, it changes to a dynamic ip. Finally I decided to run a service that restart my network every 15 minutes. I think it's the final way.

Regards,
MV
mahmoud1468
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Previous

Return to Playstation 3