Getting a webcam working

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: Getting a webcam working

Postby Jaybps3 » 19 Feb 2010, 22:41

Jaybps3 wrote:
billb wrote:
Jaybps3 wrote:Yes the module loading and unloading is automatic. as long as the viewer used supports the output format of the camera your all good. The kernel module for gspca needs built with ov534.c support, In the kernel config menu you will see under gspca webcam support or something just make sure the ov534 is selected as a M and it will work just fine. Perhaps you already have a working spec file, so putting up a kernel with support for this gspca wont be very difficult?

Yes -- we'd just work from the updated kernel src.rpm for YDL 6.2 here:

http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/updates/yell ... .4.src.rpm

Put that in your rpmbuild/SRPMS and install with rpm (rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.29-3.ydl61.4.src.rpm) and you'll have the spec in your SPECS folder. Then replace the 64-bit kernel config in your SOURCES with the modified version and rebuild the kernel rpm from the spec (no need to do setarch ppc since you want 64-bit).

So do I need to do setarch ppc64 as apposed to setarch or just skipping setarch it will auto configure for ppc64? Another note, I wont have to edit any of the spec or anything? I just need to replace the .config file? then build with the spec in the above package?

Hmm should be a .config inside the source above, Perhaps I can just download the src extract it place everything where its needed, go into SOURCES and extract the src and run make menuconfig, add the support for the gspca driver then save it, and repackage the src and build using it?

Also what revision should this be? will 2.ydl62.bdg be fine? Or will the standard 1.ydl62.bdg be fine? Or just leave it alone and the spec will autoset the revision number?
60GB PS3 (CECHA01) upgraded HDD 160gb, 40" Sony Bravia, Ydl 6 and plenty of other goodies :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/jaybps3
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Jaybps3 » 19 Feb 2010, 23:05

Ran into some troubles, I ran make menuconfig and added support for v4l and for some reason even though its in the src package I do not see support for gspca at all in the menuconfig!

I wonder if I use the config from my current working kernel build will it compile the gspca drivers or not, cause as it stands its not in the menuconfig no ov534 no gspca but yet all the folders and files are in the src package!
60GB PS3 (CECHA01) upgraded HDD 160gb, 40" Sony Bravia, Ydl 6 and plenty of other goodies :)
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby billb » 20 Feb 2010, 03:11

Jaybps3 wrote:Hmm should be a .config inside the source above, Perhaps I can just download the src extract it place everything where its needed, go into SOURCES and extract the src and run make menuconfig, add the support for the gspca driver then save it, and repackage the src and build using it?

Yes, the .config files and all will go in your SOURCES folder when you use rpm to install the kernel src.rpm. And you can copy your config from where you normally build your own kernel and replace the one in your SOURCES folder. Only modification to the spec is just changing the version number as described here in Step 6: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4910

As for the missing gspca I have no idea ... haven't even had a chance to look at it myself.

And I believe rpmbuild -ba kernel.spec should be sufficient -- no need to use setarch.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jaybps3 » 20 Feb 2010, 04:41

The new updated kernel is coming, I just started the compile, You can expect ntfs support and a completely slimmed kernel which will boost your ps3 linux performance by a fair number, I took some time to slim the kernel down and speed up the userspace interaction. Menu's, programs and stuff should all open up and respond much faster with this new kernel. Can ya say ps3 optimized kernel 3x fast?

Oh and it will support the ps3 eye toy :D Now if this sucker will just build without errors we should have a much more enjoyable ps3-linux experience!!!
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Jaybps3 » 20 Feb 2010, 05:29

Well no go the build failed, Due to unclosed %if I found the unclosed if and I am now rebuilding. Kinda weird how this kernel.spec would have an unclosed if but hey what can ya do right...

I'll update this post, when after getting a successful compile.
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby billb » 20 Feb 2010, 05:41

Well turn on Xbox joystick support while you're at it... :P
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jaybps3 » 20 Feb 2010, 06:15

billb wrote:Well turn on Xbox joystick support while you're at it... :P

If you would have told me that little while ago I would have, I am almost all the way through this build now its compressing right now, I will update later and we can turn on any features we find needed, So give it some thought and let me know :)

I'll be putting this on the ftp server in just a short if you wanna test it, I will start testing after I put it up on the server!
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Jaybps3 » 21 Feb 2010, 21:10

The new kernel is on it's way, I am rebuilding one last time, Once it's finished billb will add it to the bodega repo, and this upgraded kernel supports the ps3 eye toy, It also supports xbox game controllers with the rumble function. As well as ntfs read/write support. I also made a couple changes, to help speed up even interaction time when the systems under load.

The new kernel will be up in 2 hrs at which point billb can add it to his repo and it can be installed via yum update kernel....
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby billb » 21 Feb 2010, 21:21

Jaybps3 wrote:The new kernel will be up in 2 hrs at which point billb can add it to his repo and it can be installed via yum update kernel....

I'll most likely create a testing repo first (which will automatically be added by an update of the ps3bodega-release rpm) and add the kernel to that since it has received very limited testing at this point. The ps3bodega-testing repo would have to be enabled manually (change enabled=0 to enabled=1) and then a yum update would pick up and install the new kernel.

Looking at my webstats, Paul's Firefox 3.0.14 update has been downloaded 142 times since it was added around the 11th-12th of this month, so there are quite a few ps3bodega for 6.2 users out there. I'd rather have more users testing the updated kernel before adding it to the regular repo (though it would probably be fine).

Of course you can just provide direct links to the files, as well.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 25 Feb 2010, 08:08

How about the PS2 camera also... looks like we need to enable:

CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_OV519=m

Also, just saw this re: ekiga & gspca driver:

http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Trouble ... driver_bug
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jaybps3 » 25 Feb 2010, 09:21

billb wrote:How about the PS2 camera also... looks like we need to enable:

CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_OV519=m

Also, just saw this re: ekiga & gspca driver:

http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Trouble ... driver_bug

I can recompile with support for the PS2 camera NP, I may have a solution for the problem with the gspca, Not really a solution but a fix that will work. I have not tested it yet, It will work something like this use mencoder or something to scale the input video to the correct aspect from the current setting, This means gspca output will be scaled using mencoder to the correct aspect for ekiga and then we use a dummy driver to access the mencoder output from ekiga. So it will appear as to function normally just with mencoder backround scaling the video output!
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby suddar » 20 May 2010, 02:16

will this work on 6.1or is it only for 6.2?
suddar
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby bonedome » 20 May 2010, 13:12

Hello
you should be able to use any kernel that's been built for ps3 and be able to switch between different ones, by hitting the tab button when the kboot prompt apears :D
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby suddar » 20 May 2010, 23:58

cool but is it only for 6.2 becuse im on 6.1. and do you lose anything when using a kernel becuse i have a lot of stuff on gnome and dont want to lose it i dont know anything about kernels. and dose it work with the ps3 camera or is it only work with the ps2 eye toy and where do i download the kernel for this? and dose it work? thankyou
suddar
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby billb » 21 May 2010, 11:42

suddar wrote:cool but is it only for 6.2 becuse im on 6.1. and do you lose anything when using a kernel becuse i have a lot of stuff on gnome and dont want to lose it i dont know anything about kernels. and dose it work with the ps3 camera or is it only work with the ps2 eye toy and where do i download the kernel for this? and dose it work? thankyou

I've never attempted to use it on YDL 6.1 and am not sure how/if it would work. Normally when you install a kernel the previous one remains (I believe this is controlled by a yum plugin called installonlyn and can be modified to allow for more versions).

In any case, the PS3 Eye camera support is not particularly useful at this point since it doesn't work with Ekiga, and I don't believe we ever put in support for the PS2 Eyetoy (which also may not work with Ekiga).

It can be downloaded from here but that's not the ideal way to install it (better to update using yum on YDL 6.2 with ps3bodega repo added) and I don't recommend it.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3