Error Code 8001050F?

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Error Code 8001050F?

Postby CronoCloud » 01 Mar 2010, 04:02

Anyone else get this one? Apparently it's a rampant issue today, though the PS3 was working fine this morning.

Symptoms

1. My PS3 thinks it's 12/31/1999

2. PSN functionality is gone since it can't connect. My downloaded stuff doesn't work (FFVII, Gauntlet II, SoTN), Zuma has reverted to trial mode.

3. My theme didn't come up.

4. Netflix isn't working. (just got the disc yesterday), but it was working fine this morning.

5. Apparently some games work and some games don't, though so far I've only tried Fallout 3 GOTY which works fine.

6. Apparently the slims are not affected. Perhaps they shouldn't have let the guy who was working on improving features in firmwares for the Phats go?

7. Apparently the problem also affects Phats that aren't connected to the net at all according to few posts in various threads

8. The web browser and Linux work fine though.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Re: Error Code 8001050F?

Postby ppietro » 01 Mar 2010, 06:03

CronoCloud wrote:Anyone else get this one? Apparently it's a rampant issue today, though the PS3 was working fine this morning.

Symptoms

1. My PS3 thinks it's 12/31/1999

2. PSN functionality is gone since it can't connect. My downloaded stuff doesn't work (FFVII, Gauntlet II, SoTN), Zuma has reverted to trial mode.

3. My theme didn't come up.

4. Netflix isn't working. (just got the disc yesterday), but it was working fine this morning.

5. Apparently some games work and some games don't, though so far I've only tried Fallout 3 GOTY which works fine.

6. Apparently the slims are not affected. Perhaps they shouldn't have let the guy who was working on improving features in firmwares for the Phats go?

7. Apparently the problem also affects Phats that aren't connected to the net at all according to few posts in various threads

8. The web browser and Linux work fine though.

Here's the official tweets from Sony:

- We're aware that many of you are having problems connecting to PSN, and yes, we're looking into it. Stay tuned for updates.
(about 4 hours ago from web)

- PSN status update: We're narrowing down the issue and continue to work to restore service to all. Updates as soon as we have them.
(about 1 hours ago from web)

- PSN status update (part 2): Readers/followers are confirming that "slim" units (120/250 GB models) are connecting normally.

http://twitter.com/SonyPlaystation

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 01 Mar 2010, 06:07

CronoCloud wrote:Anyone else get this one? Apparently it's a rampant issue today, though the PS3 was working fine this morning.

Yes, pretty much the same here on my original 60GB. I'm able to play Uncharted 2 offline, but trophies for the game are no longer listed. Was just about to finish the game on "crushing" difficulty, too. Grrr. :evil:

ppietro wrote:- PSN status update (part 2): Readers/followers are confirming that "slim" units (120/250 GB models) are connecting normally.

Well that's disturbing ...
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 01 Mar 2010, 06:21

It's not just PS3 issues. You can't connect to http://boardsus.playstation.com/ either. PSN is severely messed up right now.

UPDATE: Actually - it's a little better. Apparently, they're re-doing the boards. Not so many broken links, but the PSN login part is still borked.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 01 Mar 2010, 06:34

Hey - I heard a good rumor about this. Here 'tis:

The PS3s are having trouble because they think it's a leap year. That's why it doesn't affect the slims.

If I can find out anything about this, I'll post it.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 01 Mar 2010, 06:44

ppietro wrote:If I can find out anything about this, I'll post it.

Found it:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/Play ... p/45311262

"The going theory is that the PS3 is storing some form of date in GMT, then modifying that to get whatever you see in the on-screen clock. That modification process seems to be fine--the system can take 2/28/2010, 9PM GMT, add four hours, and get 3/1/2010, 1AM random time zone.

What's apparently effed, as speculation goes, is when the internal GMT-tracking rolls over to 3/1. It's either not rolling, or rolling to 2/29, at which point a system tries to add/subtract from 2/29, which it can't do because the front-end calendar doesn't have a 2/29/2010, and **bleep** explodes. Seemed to happen around 4PM PDT, which I think is 12AM GMT, so.

And the PS3 launched in 2006; it's hit 4 2/28s so far. 2007 and 2009 were odd-numbered years; 2008 was an even, and a leap year. 2010 is the first even non-leap-year the system's been around for. If some sort of base-level math is choking on itself, it may have ruled out the odd 2007 and 2009 successfully, but is convinced the even 2010 is a leap year (this part I'm less sure of, but is why leap year could theoretically come into play at some point.)"

Source: http://kotaku.com/comment/19939245/

As for my own opinion, I think this is most likely the cause of the network problem rather than hackers. These leap year date/time problems have happened before on PCs. This can probably be solved by a minor firmware/software update on the affected PS3s or Sony will have to solve the problem from their own PSN servers. The problem is that many PS3s, mostly original non-slim models, cant access the network and wont be able to obtain any updates.

Interesting. It would tend to explain what's going on.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 01 Mar 2010, 06:55

Sony official blog post now:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/02/ ... us-update/

We’re aware that many of you are having difficulty connecting to the PlayStation Network this evening. Those of you with “slim” PS3s (the 120/250 GB models) appear to be unaffected.
Know that we have narrowed down the issue and have engineers working to restore service even as you read this. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you, and genuinely appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this.
In the meantime, you may want to follow our Twitter account for the latest updates.

Let the blog flamewar begin!

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

"Phat" PS3 OWNERS WARNING

Postby sirgrinalot » 01 Mar 2010, 07:14

I booted over to ydl today and the time changed, I thought nothing of it. I just changed it back with the time servers. After about 5 hours I wanted to play some fallout 3 so I booted back to game os, and immediately ran into psn sign in problems, and my heavy rain dynamic theme was gone. So then I remembered a sticky in billbs guide: How to: Fix network failure after booting to game OS. I went through that whole thing. And my problem still wasn't fixed.

So I turned to google. Turns out all generation 1-3 "phat" ps3's have had some sort of hardware clock failure, or malfunction.

This is the best info I have seen here

http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=388872

Everyone READ THIS PLEASE.

Here's what's going on right now: something with the PS3's internal clock has borked in some pre-slim models. This is not a PSN issue; it has to do with your PS3's clock. This clock is NOT related to the OS clock. It seems to be a leap year bug. Setting your clock ahead will do nothing. All PS3s around the world were affected at the exact same time.

Does this affect me?

-If you have a Slim PS3, you're good to go. Continue playing it as normal.
-If you have a "fat" PS3, you may be affected. Some fat PS3s have worked ok, but it seems a good majority have been bugged.

What does this bug mean?

-If affected, your date and time has been set to a random past date. This prevents you from signing into PSN, playing any PSN games, or using any DLC. Your trophies will also not display correctly or be able to sync.

How do I fix it?

-You can't. Even if you don't sign into PSN, it won't help. This is a hardware issue.

So, what do I do?

-Wait 24 hours. Other products that have had similar bugs have corrected themselves after the "bugged" day. On Monday around 6pm central time, all PS3s will automatically correct themselves...maybe.

-If that doesn't work, we'll need a firmware update from Sony, which should be a pretty important priority for them right now.

Did I lose my data/themes/etc?

Your save data/games/dlc/themes are fine. They'll be fixed when the PS3 is fixed. Trophies are uncertain right now, but they'll be fine if you've synced them before the PS3 was bugged. Unsynced trophies are an unknown right now.

If I have a bugged PS3, can I still use it?

It's probably not a good idea, as I have no idea what will happen to the trophies you earn during the bugged time. Movies/media will work fine.

So there ya go, my handy FAQ.

Sony's twitter

We're aware that many of you are having problems connecting to PSN, and yes, we're looking into it. Stay tuned for updates.

PSN status update: We're narrowing down the issue and continue to work to restore service to all. Updates as soon as we have them.

PSN status update (part 2): Readers/followers are confirming that "slim" units (120/250 GB models) are connecting normally.

Whats weird is the themes are affected, I have about 4 or 5 dynamic themes and they all show up as "Corrupted Data" and about 5 more that are not dynamic show corrupted as well.
PlayStation 3 80GB (CECHE01) (Upgraded to Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB), FW 3.15, YDL 6.2
Samsung LN-T3242HX 32" LCD
Logitech Bluetooth MediaBoard Pro
PS Network ID: sirgrinalot
sirgrinalot
ydl lover
ydl lover

Re: "Phat" PS3 OWNERS WARNING

Postby ppietro » 01 Mar 2010, 07:56

We've been discussing it here:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7182
(UPDATE: This is now a link back to this very thread - you don't need to click it anymore :D)

Locking this thread to further postings - follow-ups to other thread please. :D

UPDATE: Decided to merge it instead. Let's pull together all of this information.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sirgrinalot » 01 Mar 2010, 08:03

Sorry ppietro :oops: , I didn't notice this thread was here and I just wanted to warn everyone else that had an older model asap. Cause if there is one thing I hate it is data loss, and hopefully that doesn't occur from this.
PlayStation 3 80GB (CECHE01) (Upgraded to Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB), FW 3.15, YDL 6.2
sirgrinalot
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 01 Mar 2010, 08:27

sirgrinalot wrote:Sorry ppietro :oops: , I didn't notice this thread was here and I just wanted to warn everyone else that had an older model asap. Cause if there is one thing I hate it is data loss, and hopefully that doesn't occur from this.

No worries! In fact, I'm moving this thread to the PS3 section and making it a sticky. :D

Also - in an awesome display of my Admin powers, I'm going to merge your post into this one. You have some good information in there that would be great in this discussion.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 01 Mar 2010, 08:40

ppietro wrote:Also - in an awesome display of my Admin powers, I'm going to merge your post into this one. You have some good information in there that would be great in this discussion.

I was about to do that myself. :D Yes, the internal clock issue seems to be the most reasonable explanation. I have a PS3 that was offline before this all started so I unplugged the network cable and tried to launch Braid -- got the copy protection invalid error (though the OS was showing the correct time/date).
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chief101 » 01 Mar 2010, 08:50

man this is carzy :shock: im about go nuts :lol: over this. and i was wondering if anybody using there ydl while this bug is going on?
PlayStation 3 40GB FW 3.15 ( upgraded to Seagate Momentus 160GB 5400 rpm 8mb cache )
YDL 6.2 Xfce 4 with hdmi using video mode# 11
Emerson 19" 720P
4-port usb hub
Love playing FallOut 3 cant wait for Fallout: New Vegas to come out :)
Chief101
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby sirgrinalot » 01 Mar 2010, 09:00

ppietro wrote:
sirgrinalot wrote:Sorry ppietro :oops: , I didn't notice this thread was here and I just wanted to warn everyone else that had an older model asap. Cause if there is one thing I hate it is data loss, and hopefully that doesn't occur from this.

No worries! In fact, I'm moving this thread to the PS3 section and making it a sticky. :D

Also - in an awesome display of my Admin powers, I'm going to merge your post into this one. You have some good information in there that would be great in this discussion.

Cheers,
Paul

Anyway, back on track. One of my friends said he wasn't going to turn his PS3 on until there was a fix out of fear of loosing themes/data/trophies to which I replied "what's done is done". Because if it is a firmware fix, which most likely it will be. He will have to turn his PS3 on in order to download and/or apply the firmware. So ergo "what's done is done"

There are rumors going around that removing the internal battery and reinserting it fixes it, but I have not opened my PS3 yet and was not planning to until summer comes around to reapply the thermal paste.

There is the possibility that this problem could resolve itself after this "leap year" has past.
sirgrinalot
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby CronoCloud » 01 Mar 2010, 14:31

Here's something interesting, the clock didn't keep running while I had my PS3 off, still thought it was 9:17 pm when I booted up (I tried setting the clock manual after my original post. Lets see what happens if I manually take it to March 1st.

Ahhh, nothing. And I can most certainly confirm that the clock doesn't keep going when it's sleeping. took the clock to the correct time, and it updates while it's on, but turning it off and back on again the clock goes back to the time that was last set.

CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Next

Return to Playstation 3