Help with accessing my PS3 over the Internet using SSH/VNC

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Help with accessing my PS3 over the Internet using SSH/VNC

Postby NuxIT » 06 Mar 2010, 15:10

I went ahead and followed billb's guide again in setting up access to my PS3 from my PC's using VNC over SSH. I got it working fine under Gnome and Enlightenment on YLD 6.2 LOCALLY. However, I had a few issues when trying to set it up for remote access. I remember last time I went in and added the host.allow file in /etc directory and this allowed me to connect from work. However, I noticed that YDL 6.2 has a slightly different name for the files called hosts.allow. I accidentally deleted this file last night so if someone could post that so I can recreate it that would be helpful. Can someone advise my on the syntax? I think I'm supposed to add
SSHD | "hostname"

Or something of that order. I'd like to get the remote access going again and I'm really happy about 6.2 with working wireless and all that!
Back on the attack after using 5.0.2. Ready to get this 6.2 up and running!
NuxIT
ydl lover
ydl lover

Re: Help with accessing my PS3 over the Internet using SSH/VNC

Postby ppietro » 06 Mar 2010, 22:07

NuxIT wrote:I remember last time I went in and added the host.allow file in /etc directory and this allowed me to connect from work. However, I noticed that YDL 6.2 has a slightly different name for the files called hosts.allow. I accidentally deleted this file last night so if someone could post that so I can recreate it that would be helpful. Can someone advise my on the syntax? I think I'm supposed to add
SSHD | "hostname"

Hmm - I think there may be a typo in the original instructions. The file is always named "hosts.allow" - that's a standard Unix file name, not unique to Linux.

Anyway - here's mine:
#
# hosts.allow This file describes the names of the hosts which are
# allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
# by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
#

As you can tell, there isn't much in mine. :)

For syntax, I think a man hosts.allow should get you started. It's been a while since I messed around with this, but I think SSHD : some_hostname is what you're looking for.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 06 Mar 2010, 23:21

NuxIT wrote:However, I had a few issues when trying to set it up for remote access. I remember last time I went in and added the host.allow file in /etc directory and this allowed me to connect from work.

I had trouble accessing it remotely as well, so please let me know when/how you get this worked out.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby NuxIT » 10 Mar 2010, 14:33

billb wrote:
NuxIT wrote:However, I had a few issues when trying to set it up for remote access. I remember last time I went in and added the host.allow file in /etc directory and this allowed me to connect from work.

I had trouble accessing it remotely as well, so please let me know when/how you get this worked out.

Well, I managed to get this working basically the exact same way as the 5.x load. I used the hosts.allow and hosts.deny files.

For hosts.deny I put in the
ALL:ALL

As I'm sure your aware this will block any and all host trying to establish any sort of connectivity to my machine. Then I went into the hosts.allow file which overrides any settings in hosts.deny and put in the following
sshd:"PRIVATELANIP"
sshd:"WORKINTERNETIP"

I also went into my router and forwarded the port I'm using for ssh to my PS3's IP.

And, i'm up and running with 6.2 remotely with help from your excellent guide. :mrgreen:
NuxIT
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby billb » 11 Mar 2010, 01:26

Great -- thanks for the info! When I have a chance I'll try this myself and also update the guide with your solution.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby NuxIT » 12 Mar 2010, 16:31

billb wrote:Great -- thanks for the info! When I have a chance I'll try this myself and also update the guide with your solution.

Sure. You Bet! I was happy to see this works great in YDL 6.2 as well. It's even faster now since my connection at home is a little better than before. It's almost as responsive working locally! Couldn't of done it without this excellent guide.
NuxIT
ydl lover
ydl lover

Return to Playstation 3