YDL 6.2 Unofficial Updates! Mplayer-Mt-PS3

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

YDL 6.2 Unofficial Updates! Mplayer-Mt-PS3

Postby Jaybps3 » 12 Mar 2010, 14:51

Hello everyone, I have been working on some updates lately and it's time to share them with you all. Below is a guide to help you get all these updates installed and working.

Before we get started make sure your running YDL 6.2 and you have only the default repo's and the ps3bodega repo installed, I'm going to put a link up to billbs guide for installing his repo. If you already have another repo configuration you will need to disable all repo's aside from the base repo's and ps3bodega.

Billbs guide for installing his repo!
http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/bodeg ... f=28&t=555

Once you have the ps3bodega and default repo's installed you are ready to get started!

Kernel - Built new kernel and added support for the ps3 eyetoy and xbox controllers. Also tweaked it a little to speed up event interactions for userspace.

To install this kernel open a terminal and run the commands below!
Code: Select all
su
enter root password when prompted
yum update kernel --enablerepo=PS3Bodega-testing

That's it the new kernel is installed, You can reboot now if you want and the new kernel will be loaded by default. Or you can carry on and reboot after completing this tutorial.

VLC - Updated vlc for better overall performance and for better streaming capabilities.

To install vlc just open and terminal and run the commands below.
su
enter root password when promted
yum install vlc mozilla-vlc

Mplayer-mt-ps3 - I believe this to be the first rpm for multithreaded mplayer as well as mplayer-ps3, This build supports multithreading and the mplayer-ps3 as well as the standard mplayer. All functional and working...

Gtkpod - Adds ipod support to YDL, You can upload new songs to and from your ipod with this. This build doesn't support album covers etc, You can add and remove songs and such but the album covers etc is currently broken. So you will get a dev NULL warning when launching ignore it cause it works fine other then album art not working.

libgpod - Rebuilt updated version, This build fixes compatibility issue's with gtkpod and rhythmbox prior to this couldn't have both of them working off the same libgpod. This resolves that issue.

Rhythmbox - Fixed plugin errors at startup and built against updated libgpod to resolve compatibility issue with gtkpod and rhythmbox.

To install all of the above just follow the directions below, This will install mplayer-mt-ps3 gtkpod updated libgpod updated rhythmbox and all the required dependencies.

Download the Media-Update.tar.gz from the link below.
http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/ps3li ... ate.tar.gz

Save this to your desktop and then right click on it and choose extract here. Once you extract it this will create a new folder on your desktop called Media-Update right click on this folder and choose open in terminal. Now run the commands below to install everything.

su

This is a single command copy and paste this into the terminal.
yum localinstall gtkpod-0.99.12-2.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm libgpod-0.6.1-2.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm libmtp-0.2.6.1-1.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm mencoder-1.0-1.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm python-gpod-0.6.1-2.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm readline-5.2-3.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm rhythmbox-0.11.7-5.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm totem-pl-parser-2.22.3-1.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm gnome-mplayer-0.9.5-1.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm mplayer-1.0-1.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm mplayerplug-in-3.55-1.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm x264-0.68.8-2.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rp x264-libs-0.68.8-2.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm xvidcore-1.2.2-2.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm python-eyed3-0.6.12-2.ydl62.bdg.noarch.rpm python-mutagen-1.13-1.ydl62.bdg.noarch.rpm libsidplay-1.36.57-1.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm --nogpgcheck

Now to grab the gstreamer packages needed for rhythmbox. Open and terminal and run the commands below.
su
yum install *gstreamer*

Mp3 playback with gstreamer You will need to download the fluendo mp3 codec and install it in order for gstreamer and rhythmbox to play mp3 format, You have to create a free account to get this codec however it's completely free to download and its an rpm installer, I would provide it but I am not sure it's legal. Here is a link just create an account and download the fluendo mp3 Linux installer RPM PPC save it to your desktop and then right click on it and choose open with software installer.
http://www.fluendo.com/shop/product/flu ... 3-decoder/

Now that's all installed, Next we need to install the simple terminal gui and launcher, Thanks to Alastor for this, This is to allow you to launch mplayer-ps3 inside x without corrupting the xserver.

Download the PS3MoviePlayer.tar.gz from the link below. Save it to your desktop and only the desktop. I made scripts to auto install the terminal profile and they must be launched from the correct location or else they will fail.
http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/ps3li ... yer.tar.gz

Once this is saved to your desktop extract it, This will create a folder on your desktop called PS3MoviePlayer right click on this folder and choose open in terminal. Now run the commands.
./mplayer-ps3-gui-installer.sh
su
enter root password when promted
./mplayer-ps3-gui-installer2.sh

That's it your all set now reboot your ps3 and when you reboot eveything will be installed and working. You will notice there is a new icon on your desktop called Mplayer-PS3, This is the basic gui for mplayer-ps3 use it to open files to play with mplayer-ps3. Also you can delete all the downloaded tar.gz files and folders they are no longer needed.

Now run the gnome-mplayer you can find it in your applications sound and video menu, Once opened click on the edit tab and then click preferences. Then choose the MPlayer tab and where it says mplayer executable add the following.
/usr/bin/mplayer

That concludes my tutorial for now, I will be producing more updates in the near future, for now this is all I have, hope it helps ya get some descent media playback performance.

One thing that makes this mplayer build so special is when you run the Mplayer-ps3 its a modified version of alastor script, I modified it to run mplayer-mt-ps3 all in one which gives exellent performance better then mpayer, mplayer-ps3 and mplayer-mt solo, This will run mplayer-ps3 with multithread all combined for top performance.

I tested Mplayer-ps3 and mplayer and mplayer-mt all by themselfs using the RepoMan.h264 video and it played in all 3 modes however the sound was ahead of the video's using each of them solo. When combined it plays it smoothly with sound and video in tune.

Running from a terminal would disrupt x but the command is this
mplayer -vo ps3 -lavdopts threads=2 -fs
Last edited by Jaybps3 on 13 Mar 2010, 21:10, edited 3 times in total.
60GB PS3 (CECHA01) upgraded HDD 160gb, 40" Sony Bravia, Ydl 6 and plenty of other goodies :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/jaybps3
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Re: YDL 6.2 Unofficial Updates! Mplayer-Mt-PS3

Postby superryu » 12 Mar 2010, 18:28

THIS IS GREAT!!! I will try this on my PS3 probably tomorrow~~~~~~~~

p.s.

does this use the SPE's or is it just multithreaded on the PPE?
superryu
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Jaybps3 » 12 Mar 2010, 18:29

superryu wrote:THIS IS GREAT!!! I will try this on my PS3 probably tomorrow~~~~~~~~

p.s.

does this use the SPE's or is it just multithreaded on the PPE?

It uses SPE's and Multhread on the PPE it's the only build of its kind that I am aware of, But yes the spu's are active and multithread is used on the PPE :D

Install it test it, use it and post your experience with it, any problems you may have using it, I think I have made the install as easy and smooth as possible and took it a step further by combining the spu mplayer and multithread ppe accelerations into a single mplayer install. The extra gui and stuff are to make launching it easy and prevent it from corrupting the xserver!
60GB PS3 (CECHA01) upgraded HDD 160gb, 40" Sony Bravia, Ydl 6 and plenty of other goodies :)
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Jaybps3 » 13 Mar 2010, 00:21

Note to everyone who installs and runs this player, Please post feedback, I would like to know if it installs properly and works properly.

Thanks, Jaybps3 :D
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby bonedome » 13 Mar 2010, 00:35

Hello jaybps3
I get the following error when trying to install
Error: Missing Dependency: xvidcore = 1.1.3 is needed by package xvidcore-devel
Error: Missing Dependency: python-mutagen is needed by package python-gpod
Error: Missing Dependency: libmtp.so.7 is needed by package rhythmbox
[root@localhost Media-Update]#
now xvidcore-1.1.3 and devel are in /usr/share/doc so I'm a little baffled
any help is appreciated
I'm off to bed I'm knackered :D
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Jaybps3 » 13 Mar 2010, 00:52

bonedome wrote:Hello jaybps3
I get the following error when trying to install
Error: Missing Dependency: xvidcore = 1.1.3 is needed by package xvidcore-devel
Error: Missing Dependency: python-mutagen is needed by package python-gpod
Error: Missing Dependency: libmtp.so.7 is needed by package rhythmbox
[root@localhost Media-Update]#
now xvidcore-1.1.3 and devel are in /usr/share/doc so I'm a little baffled
any help is appreciated
I'm off to bed I'm knackered :D

You need to do the following open a terminal.
su
enter root password
rpm -e xvidcore-devel --nodeps

You have an older version of xvidcore-devel installed which will not allow xvidcore to be updated to a newer version because it depends on it, So removing it will get rid of this issue.

Also there was a typo in the original post, You brought this to my attention, Use the command below to install all the packages,.

yum localinstall gtkpod-0.99.12-2.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm libgpod-0.6.1-2.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm libmtp-0.2.6.1-1.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm mencoder-1.0-1.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm python-gpod-0.6.1-2.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm readline-5.2-3.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm rhythmbox-0.11.7-5.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm totem-pl-parser-2.22.3-1.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm gnome-mplayer-0.9.5-1.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm mplayer-1.0-1.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm mplayerplug-in-3.55-1.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm x264-0.68.8-2.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rp x264-libs-0.68.8-2.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm xvidcore-1.2.2-2.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm python-eyed3-0.6.12-2.ydl62.bdg.noarch.rpm python-mutagen-1.13-1.ydl62.bdg.noarch.rpm libsidplay-1.36.57-1.ydl62.bdg.ppc.rpm  --nogpgcheck

Now it will install smoothly for you thanks for helping me figure it out. Also I fixed this typo in my original post as well. :D
Last edited by Jaybps3 on 13 Mar 2010, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Noons » 13 Mar 2010, 01:55

Thanks for this. Everything went smoothly for me. I should mention I left out a few things like rythmbox, x264-libs a couple of others because I updated quite a few libraries prior to doing this. So I kind of chopped up the install but it works good!

Let me just say gnome-mplayer.. WOW!! I'm impressed, I can't see using my vlc much more now other than the shoutcast playlist.

To sum it up I'm not a good example to go by considering I've updated gilbc and built everything against that. either way worked like a charm and works great :)

Cheers
Fedora core 12; ps3 CECHA01; samsung 720p plasma; kernel 2.6.32
Noons
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Jaybps3 » 13 Mar 2010, 02:02

Noons wrote:Thanks for this. Everything went smoothly for me. I should mention I left out a few things like rythmbox, x264-libs a couple of others because I updated quite a few libraries prior to doing this. So I kind of chopped up the install but it works good!

Let me just say gnome-mplayer.. WOW!! I'm impressed, I can't see using my vlc much more now other than the shoutcast playlist.

To sum it up I'm not a good example to go by considering I've updated gilbc and built everything against that. either way worked like a charm and works great :)

Cheers

If you left out rhythmbox and you install gtkpod and libgpod your rhythmbox will no longer work, Not sure if that matters to you or not, If you already had updated x264 libs and such and it still works fine great, Glad it installed well for you does the terminal profile work? You like the little launcher icon I created and attached to it?
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Noons » 13 Mar 2010, 02:10

Jaybps3 wrote:
Noons wrote:Thanks for this. Everything went smoothly for me. I should mention I left out a few things like rythmbox, x264-libs a couple of others because I updated quite a few libraries prior to doing this. So I kind of chopped up the install but it works good!

Cheers

If you left out rhythmbox and you install gtkpod and libgpod your rhythmbox will no longer work, Not sure if that matters to you or not, If you already had updated x264 libs and such and it still works fine great, Glad it installed well for you does the terminal profile work? You like the little launcher icon I created and attached to it?

I don't have rhythmbox installed at all lol. I like to try and have an all in one player. the terminal profile worked flawlessly and ya I like the ps you got there, thats pretty cool :wink:

thanks again.
Fedora core 12; ps3 CECHA01; samsung 720p plasma; kernel 2.6.32
Noons
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Jaybps3 » 13 Mar 2010, 02:19

Noons wrote:
Jaybps3 wrote:

Cheers

I don't have rhythmbox installed at all lol. I like to try and have an all in one player. the terminal profile worked flawlessly and ya I like the ps you got there, thats pretty cool :wink:

thanks again.

Well the upside is that gnome-mplayer will also play your ipod music :) so rhythmbox is not needed :D
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby bonedome » 14 Mar 2010, 01:25

Hello
I couldn't get this to work earlier, then remembered I had the same problem as jaybps3, no mplayer in the repos !! (where's that gone ?) so built my own in /usr/local, after a quick make uninstall ta daa it's working just dandy, I'll try a couple of 720's later and see how they play
Thanks again
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby alastor » 16 Mar 2010, 19:05

Hello, very nice Jaybps3. :) ( Thanks for feedback btw :D )
I will look at mplayer-mt-ps3 rpm, though i have it installed for a long time now. :lol:
Gui is also a perfect idia ( i use it with "open with" function )
I like when people are willing to make something usefull.

By the way, i have wrote a message to Stream asking him to include missing header for spu scaller and also to correct his patch. ( This means that i am going to build an object file of spu scaller using cbexlc compiler to improve perfomance on PPU and SPU part. )
alastor
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby Jaybps3 » 17 Mar 2010, 11:41

alastor wrote:Hello, very nice Jaybps3. :) ( Thanks for feedback btw :D )
I will look at mplayer-mt-ps3 rpm, though i have it installed for a long time now. :lol:
Gui is also a perfect idia ( i use it with "open with" function )
I like when people are willing to make something usefull.

By the way, i have wrote a message to Stream asking him to include missing header for spu scaller and also to correct his patch. ( This means that i am going to build an object file of spu scaller using cbexlc compiler to improve perfomance on PPU and SPU part. )

Well keep me informed, I am working on some things and will do a rebuild soon.
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby lynx-79 » 17 Mar 2010, 17:00

will this guide get the creative zen working too??
lynx-79
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Jaybps3 » 17 Mar 2010, 18:21

lynx-79 wrote:will this guide get the creative zen working too??

I don't think so, I do not have a creative zen to get working or to test if it works or not, I know it works for ipods I'm not sure about anything else. You could try installing the above and letting me know if it works or not that would help. If it doesn't I can look into adding support for it.
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Next

Return to Playstation 3