YDL 6.2 Unofficial Updates! Mplayer-Mt-PS3

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: YDL 6.2 Unofficial Updates! Mplayer-Mt-PS3

Postby gazik » 26 Mar 2010, 09:08

Hi all,

I have to tell you, that the things about very choppy playback of h264 720p files i said are not true.
It was my mistake as I launched mplayer without options for SPU clalling and multithread. Even though
it is still less capable than my old dualcore ntb, it is great progress and great work from you Jay!
There is still some tearing and unsync of video and audio, but it is much better.

By the way, do you know about this project http://offload.codeplay.com/ ? Could it be any useful?

I have one more question on different issue (noob one) - After setting video mode to 131 (I have 720p tv), desktop
looks just amazing, but is there some setting of desktop to remove borders from left and top? There are
about 10% of width/height borders, where i cant move icons an there is also different wallpaper (default one?).
It seems like the area is shifted in bottom-right direction as i cant see some files which actually are on desktop.

Cheers,
Petr
gazik
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 26 Mar 2010, 11:41

gazik wrote:There areabout 10% of width/height borders, where i cant move icons an there is also different wallpaper (default one?).
It seems like the area is shifted in bottom-right direction as i cant see some files which actually are on desktop.

You're running Enlightenment / E17? YDL's implementation of it does that since there's a Nautilus "desktop" running on top of it. Look for a menu option called "Cleanup Windows" -- that should fix it (Windows > Cleanup Windows).
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bonedome » 26 Mar 2010, 21:01

Hello
if you're having problems with "overscan" i.e your desktop seems larger than your screen, there may be a setting on your tv called something like "just fit", "smart fit" or something like that, on the other hand if your tv is cheap doo doo like mine you'll have to follow another of jaybps3's guides here viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3712&hilit=overscan+swfdec with reference to overscan
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby gazik » 27 Mar 2010, 00:16

Hi,

the issue was solved by hint from billb (thank you). There was no problem with overscan. It looked more like shifted desktop area, while you could
still move windows to those mentioned borders. "Cleanup Windows" worked for me. I didnt want to steal the thread, so lets get back to topic.

Cheers,
Petr
gazik
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby otakusupreme » 27 Mar 2010, 14:59

hello again all... im still not getting the subtitles up on gnome player. i am trying to play mkv files which you get the option to choose subs or not. can someone please help me to get this up and running.
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby alastor » 27 Mar 2010, 15:10

otakusupreme wrote:hello again all... im still not getting the subtitles up on gnome player. i am trying to play mkv files which you get the option to choose subs or not. can someone please help me to get this up and running.

I think you can solve this by adding subfont.ttf file to /home/(your user name)/.mplayer/ directory. The TTF file can be found here ( for example ):
http://www.mediafire.com/?bdy9njdyiyt
( .mplayer is hidden directory, so you will not see it straight away )
alastor
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby otakusupreme » 28 Apr 2010, 11:39

Yaata... i was messing around with mplayer and i built the latest

when i run on -vo sdl and add the option -lavdopts threads=2...

Bang im watching mkvs with h.264 fine now. i dont know if this is relayed to this but it worked.

Also... whenever i try to use Gnome Mplayer with the option for -vo sdl my mouse stops working and i cant use it anymore, meaning i have to reboot, don't know if theres a fix for it but thats the issue i have.
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ayanematrix » 28 Apr 2010, 20:27

otakusupreme wrote:Yaata... i was messing around with mplayer and i built the latest

when i run on -vo sdl and add the option -lavdopts threads=2...

Bang im watching mkvs with h.264 fine now. i dont know if this is relayed to this but it worked.

Also... whenever i try to use Gnome Mplayer with the option for -vo sdl my mouse stops working and i cant use it anymore, meaning i have to reboot, don't know if theres a fix for it but thats the issue i have.

Technically speaking, if your keyboard still works when you mouse stops, you could either reboot your X session via Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and log back into your account or unplug/plug your mouse from the USB slot it's in. I'd try the latter first as it tends to work majority of the time, unless there's some sort of kernel panic with USB related modules.

Also, using -vo ps3 in text mode seems to give the best results for video playback. Sadly, stuff like Macross Frontier that's at 720p with the h.264 codec stutters when there are a lot of subtitles being displayed on the top and bottom of the screen. Oy, for music, its not that you really need to understand what's being said as much of it is so forgettable anyhow. :roll:

Oh, while I'm thinking about it, does anyone know how to use the custom internal fonts that some mkv's and ogm video files have embedded in them with MPlayer? It's pretty much the same problem that all the versions of MPlayer have, but I haven't figured out how to get them to work.
ayanematrix
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby otakusupreme » 29 Apr 2010, 04:32

i dont really know how but if you got to irc and on the freenode server there is a channel #mplayer. i have had a good amount of help there. i recommend you go there to help solve your mplayer options as those people have ALOT of experience with it.
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby otakusupreme » 19 May 2010, 06:46

ok... can someone please help me understand the spu scaler thing...

i dont know what im supposed to do with it so a step by step would be really helpful.

i have some issues playing 1280x720 mkv h.264 files. when the resolution is 848x480 it plays perfect no problem. does the spu scaler help solve this issue? please any help with this would be appreciated.
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 19 May 2010, 07:30

otakusupreme wrote:i have some issues playing 1280x720 mkv h.264 files. when the resolution is 848x480 it plays perfect no problem. does the spu scaler help solve this issue? please any help with this would be appreciated.

1280x720 probably still won't work. The mplayer SPU scaler just allows regular resolution (i.e. around 720x480) videos to be upscaled to 1280x720 displays. But - actual HD files at 1280x720 probably won't work smoothly.

That's been my experience, anyway.

The issue is the SPU is just scaling the video - not decoding it. There's a lot of decoding that has to be done for 1280x720 as opposed to 720x480. Normally, mplayer would have to decode 720x480 and then scale it to your 1280x720 display. This would have to be done by the PPE - which is also running everything else in Linux. What the SPU scaler does is move the size scaling to the SPU - freeing up just that little bit from the PPE. At 720x480, there's just enough overhead for all of this to work smoothly.

Since a 1280x720 decode maxes out the PPE, it doesn't matter if the SPE scales it or not. :(

You can try running dual threaded with the -lavdopts threads=2 if you've downloaded the threaded source code and enabled it in your build. That helps, but it still might not be enough.

Again - that's my experience. IMHO, what we need is an SPU decoder as well as an SPU scaler. This is how the GameOS does the playback.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mmajidi » 10 Jun 2010, 01:53

I have YDL 6.1 and I can not upgrade the server to YDL 6.2 however I really need to run PHP5.2 on the server. The hardware is an IBM Power PC. I have MYSQL 5.0.4 and I need to update that as well.

Is it possible that someone can help me in updating the PHP and the MySQL. I can kind of stuck and I need help to move forward.

Thank you,
Mehran
mmajidi
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 10 Jun 2010, 04:34

mmajidi wrote:I have YDL 6.1 and I can not upgrade the server to YDL 6.2 however I really need to run PHP5.2 on the server. The hardware is an IBM Power PC. I have MYSQL 5.0.4 and I need to update that as well.

Is it possible that someone can help me in updating the PHP and the MySQL. I can kind of stuck and I need help to move forward.

Thank you,
Mehran

Sorry - you are not allowed to double post and/or topic piggyback in our forums. I warned you about that here:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5139#p38809

Locking this thread.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Need help troubleshooting mplayer-mt-ps3

Postby sizmonz » 28 Jun 2010, 06:45

[MODERATOR EDIT: Unlocked and merged for you. -Paul ]

Hi,

Wanted to post at the other thread on mplayer-mt-ps3 but was locked..
Need some help in troubleshooting..
I had gone through all the steps listed in jay's tutorial but the gnome mplayer and my vlc (previously fine) are not working at all..
Able to open GUI through applications but will not open any files..
I'm a complete noob to linux so any help is much appreciated..
Run one of the commands and this is wat i got

[root@localhost ~]# mplayer -vo ps3 -lavdopts threads=2 -fs
mplayer: error while loading shared libraries: libdvdread.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

cheers,
simon
sizmonz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Need help troubleshooting mplayer-mt-ps3

Postby ppietro » 28 Jun 2010, 11:48

sizmonz wrote:Need some help in troubleshooting..
I had gone through all the steps listed in jay's tutorial but the gnome mplayer and my vlc (previously fine) are not working at all..

What was your original repo setup? Were you using Fedora Extras/Livna/Dribble per our guide here?
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3017

If so, did you switch to ps3bodega, per the instructions here?
http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/bodeg ... f=28&t=555

This is tricky because if you did, you need to do a few things to convert repos, or software won't get installed correctly, which is what it looks like you're describing:

1. Disable Fedora Extras/Livna/Dribble. (Set enabled=0 in each of the files)
2. Re-enable yellowdog-extras, since you have to disable it to use Fedora Extras/Livna/Dribble
3. Remove yum-protectbase

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3