YouTube, Flash and the PS3

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: YouTube, Flash and the PS3

Postby clem58 » 12 Aug 2010, 23:16

The meeting with adobe was concerning his business which as far as i know involves web & programme design. This guy is my grand daughters bio dad but he popped up almost 16 yrs after her birth & he is keen to impress her, so in that case i believe him when he said he tried to inquire if their was a possible way that adobe flash could be run on linux for ps3. Our kid got a email from him in it he said "the guy i was meeting over lunch told me that he couldn't comment on the possibility of a for work around for installing adobe flash on a ps3". He feels that their must be away around it given the answer, He has his own guru's so if its possible i'm sure he'll try to find out and givin the assistance that you guys give me if its found i'll be sure to have him detail it to you. Thats all i can tell you sorry.
clem58
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 12 Aug 2010, 23:55

Thanks for taking the time to clarify that! :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby clem58 » 13 Aug 2010, 22:22

The meeting took place in San Francisco at the end of the meeting he asked if it was possible to install adobe flash for use on linux ps3. The reply he got was as follows " i can't divulge wether or not there is a method to install adobe on the ps3".Take from that what you will. So as far as i know he is, along with a colleague is going to attempt to find out if its possible. If he does i'll get him to post it. This guy builds programmes and other technical stuff so i'm hoping he can.I'm trying to find away to thank you guys for the help you've given me. Sorry if i got hopes up.
clem58
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby Psychokillaz79 » 15 Sep 2010, 18:00

I have installed YDL many times on my PS3 & always got Youtube to work with these methods until this past week. I had to do a re-install for the new Zerogame & Youtube will not work. Does anyone else have this problem? I installed gstreamer, ffmpeg, vlc mozilla-vlc, greasemonkey, greasefire, vlctube, mplayer mplayerplug-in, totem-plugin, mtube youtotem, I always installed all of this but I only used the vlc-tube, greasemonkey script & VLC player for it to work in the past. Now when I go to youtube, the VLC player just says loading if I click it & nothing ever plays. I decided to reinstall a fresh YDL and it happened again. Considering I got it to work like 10 installs in a row, something must have changed or did I do something wrong? Anyone help or confirm.... I am about to upgrade to 3.6.8 Firefox that ya'll just came up with. Hopefully it works when I change over. Idk...
Psychokillaz79
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby Noons » 15 Sep 2010, 21:45

I have installed YDL many times on my PS3 & always got Youtube to work with these methods until this past week. I had to do a re-install for the new Zerogame & Youtube will not work. Does anyone else have this problem? I installed gstreamer, ffmpeg, vlc mozilla-vlc, greasemonkey, greasefire, vlctube, mplayer mplayerplug-in, totem-plugin, mtube youtotem, I always installed all of this but I only used the vlc-tube, greasemonkey script & VLC player for it to work in the past. Now when I go to youtube, the VLC player just says loading if I click it & nothing ever plays. I decided to reinstall a fresh YDL and it happened again. Considering I got it to work like 10 installs in a row, something must have changed or did I do something wrong? Anyone help or confirm.... I am about to upgrade to 3.6.8 Firefox that ya'll just came up with. Hopefully it works when I change over. Idk...

I noticed this as well on my fedora12 ps3 install... What I have discovered is if you scroll down to where the bottom of the video would be you will see a "view without flash" option with a few different spots where you can click.. try that and wait a bit and it should load. Works for me.

Regards,
Greg
ps minitube works as good if not better for viewing youtube
Fedora core 12; ps3 CECHA01; samsung 720p plasma; kernel 2.6.32
Noons
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Psychokillaz79 » 16 Sep 2010, 21:09

Ok, tyvm! Are you using Greasemonkey with only the VLC-TUBE script checked and VLC as your Youtube player on your PS3's Linux? I'm rocking YDL 6.2 Gnome. I also recommend Flashgot, DownloadHelper & KeepTube as add-ons and user scripts. That is a lot of work to watch a flash video though. Unless it is a Movie :wink: Well at least MiniTube works great! We still have torrents & kool things. I'm happy with the progress with a so called dead community. We are still going strong!

Does anyone know if StreamTorrent works with YDL 6.2/PS3? I'd like to watch some live sports on my TV with hooking up HDMI/DVI/VGA etc from PC or laptop

BTW tyvm to the ZEROGAME COMMUNITY! We have not forgot about the 3.15 or lower phats out there. THE FINAL 0.52 IS LIVE. Beta is over. It is awesome! biilb, xnonsuchx are the man!

Side note with props & news: Firefox 3.6.10 went live this morning. I'm pumped that ppietro was able to figure out how to upgrade us to 3.6.8 & billb with Java 6. You guys make it so worth while to NEVER update. I'm rocking a Firefox/Gnome YDL 6.2 - Java 6 with 0.52 Zerogame with 15 emulators & over 60k roms in my collection now. They have mapped out the Siaxis PS3 controller to work with all the old PC & console games like C64/MAME/GENESIS/SNES/GBA/NEO-GEO COLOR/WONDERSWAN COLOR/INTELLIVISION/NES/TURBO GRAPHIX/FAMICON/SEGACD/LYNX/ MANY MORE WITH ATARI ON THE WAY!!! YEAH... Go to Zerogame.com & help billb - xnonsuchx - & all of us keeping th PS3 other os community something to get excited about. Also with all the hard work ppietro and others do is is awesome! I'm so pumped to have you guys with us all! PHAT 3.15 or earlier 4 Life! Not to mention we can't play PSN online until another bypass or CFW so we can still use the new USB Hack for playing any single player games 2007-2010. This is a great summer! :mrgreen:
Psychokillaz79
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 16 Sep 2010, 22:10

Psychokillaz79 wrote:Ok, tyvm! Are you using Greasemonkey with only the VLC-TUBE script checked and VLC as your Youtube player on your PS3's Linux?

Actually - I gave up on the VLCtube script. I still use Greasemonkey, but I use YouTube Without Flash Auto, with VLC as the engine.

I have my settings here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7218#p37168

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 16 Sep 2010, 22:52

Psychokillaz79 wrote:Side note with props & news: Firefox 3.6.10 went live this morning. I'm pumped that ppietro was able to figure out how to upgrade us to 3.6.8 & billb with Java 6.

Just wanted to clarify -- that was pwall (Pat) that mentioned how to get the Java plugin working (see this post). I just documented the procedure a little more later. :wink:
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 05 Nov 2010, 16:01

It may be possible for me to create an RPM installer for the addon(s) but currently I'm having trouble even getting them at all ... when I go to this link, for example:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748/

And I click on "Add to Firefox" it says "Connecting to releases.mozilla.org" in the bottom left corner but never does anything. Or sometimes it will eventually take me to the Firefox Addons installer window with "Greasemonkey" showing up, but it just says "Waiting..." and never finishes.

Anyone else having this problem?

If not, can you provide a link to the files from another download location?

EDIT: oh, it finally managed to finish installing, just VERY slowly!

EDIT2: I have Greasemonkey installed, Youtube-without-flash-auto installed, and the YWOF preferences as suggested, but selecting a Youtube video still brings up the "missing plugin" box instead of playing the video. :?

I <3 Minitube! :P
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 05 Nov 2010, 17:43

billb wrote:EDIT2: I have Greasemonkey installed, Youtube-without-flash-auto installed, and the YWOF preferences as suggested, but selecting a Youtube video still brings up the "missing plugin" box instead of playing the video. :?

I think you're missing the VLC plugin. I'll fire up my PS3 later - it's finishing some proteins for folding@home - and see if I have that loaded.

Cheers
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 05 Nov 2010, 18:41

ppietro wrote:I think you're missing the VLC plugin. I'll fire up my PS3 later - it's finishing some proteins for folding@home - and see if I have that loaded.

Oops. :) Forgot I hadn't installed it yet on this system -- making some progress now -- I've got audio with no video! :lol:
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 05 Nov 2010, 20:09

Yes my Firefox definitely has the VLC Multimedia Plugin loaded. According to RPM, I have these VLC components installed:

mozilla-vlc-0.8.6c-4.lvn6
vlc-0.8.6c-4.lvn6

I'm not sure if you need the ffmpeg hooks either. Here's what's on my system, just in case:

ffmpeg-devel-0.4.9-0.37.20070503.lvn6
ffmpeg-libs-0.4.9-0.37.20070503.lvn6
ffmpeg-0.4.9-0.37.20070503.lvn6
gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.2-2.lvn6

You might need these - but I'm pretty sure VLC doesn't have external dependencies.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. Yeah - I'm still running a YDL 6.1 system. I tried 6.2, and it's fine, but it wasn't different enough to make me switch from 6.1, and I like being able to use fedora-extras/livna/dribble repositories with 6.1.
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 05 Nov 2010, 22:23

I downloaded a video using Minitube and tried playing it back using VLC (it downloaded an .mp4 file) and it said:

[00000425] main decoder error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `avc1'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

Audio played, but no video -- so I suppose that's the problem here. ps3bodega for YDL 6.2 has a different build of VLC. Here's what I have:

rpm -q vlc mozilla-vlc ffmpeg ffmpeg-libs gstreamer-ffmpeg

vlc-0.9.5-2.ydl62.bdg
mozilla-vlc-0.9.5-2.ydl62.bdg
ffmpeg-0.4.9-1.ydl62.bdg
ffmpeg-libs-0.4.9-1.ydl62.bdg
gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.5-1

Hmm... maybe mplayer?

Wait ... I installed mplayer and it installed a few other packages with it, so I tried youtube again without switching from VLC or installing the mozilla plugin for mplayer and I have video now! :D

Here's what installed with mplayer:

live555
x264-libs
dirac-libs
openal

I'll be doing a fresh install of YDL 6.2 over the weekend so I'll write up the exact steps required. Also I have an RPM built for the firefox greasemonkey addon but don't think it's quite ready yet. Ideally I'd like to have this set up so you just install an RPM or two to get it working properly.

Thanks for the help and sanity check! :mrgreen:
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Noons » 05 Nov 2010, 22:29

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7218&start=15#p39841

Check for the "view without flash" button
Fedora core 12; ps3 CECHA01; samsung 720p plasma; kernel 2.6.32
Noons
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby billb » 05 Nov 2010, 22:33

Thanks -- I already had the view-without-flash settings right -- I was just missing the packages mentioned above.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3