new user help

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

new user help

Postby otakusupreme » 14 Mar 2010, 08:38

ok.... so pretty soon im getting my YDL 6.2 disk ( btw i ordered from on-disk.com, can anyone tell me if they are reliable) and what i want to use linux for is viewing anime online, photoediting, emulators, and video conversion/editing. oh and torrent downloading... can anyone tell me whats a good bit torrent and if megavideo works on ydl 6.2. and also tell me things yu wish you would of known before installing linux to your ps3.... thanks. and can someone make a video on how to add the repos to ydl and add it to youtube... thanks.
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Re: new user help

Postby ppietro » 14 Mar 2010, 09:26

otakusupreme wrote:ok.... so pretty soon im getting my YDL 6.2 disk ( btw i ordered from on-disk.com, can anyone tell me if they are reliable)

No idea. Generally, we recommend folks download the ISOs directly from the Yellow Dog free mirrors:
e.g. http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/iso

then verify the download with SHA1SUM:
http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/iso/SHA1SUM
and
http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/iso/SHA1SUM-HOWTO

then burn the disc themselves using IMGBURN.

otakusupreme wrote:and what i want to use linux for is viewing anime online, photoediting, emulators, and video conversion/editing.

Viewing anime online will be tough. There is no version of Flash for PowerPC Linux - and the main core of the Cell in the PS3 is a PowerPC. I explain all of that ad nauseum here:

YouTube, Flash and the PS3

Other sites that use proprietary technology for viewing - like the move player - won't work, since they assume Windows Intel (x86) architecture.

Viewing of MKV files greater than 720x480 will be tough too. The PS3 does not have 2D or 3D accelerated video. It is limited to a CPU driven framebuffer display via hypervisor lockout. Decoding H.264 HiDef video and displaying this video pretty much eats up all of the main core processor's power. There are efforts underway to tap into the vector math cores of the Cell - what we call the SPEs - but they're experimental at best.

Photoediting & Video Editing/Conversion will be tough as well. In addition to the framebuffer display limitation, the PS3 only has 256 Megs of system RAM. You can use virtual swap to extend this, but at a great speed penalty. In addition, the main core of the Cell in the PS3 is a simple, single core, dual threaded, in-order execution, moderately fast Power PC. The other 6 cores - the SPE vector math processors - mainly go unused by Linux. They are available to program, but none of the currently available photo or video editors for Linux use them.

As for emulators, that's a mixed bag. Again - any emulator that requires 3D acceleration via OpenGL will have problems. We have only Software OpenGL - and it's very, very, very slow. Simple 8 bit emulators work the best, or pure software PC DOS games.

Remember - the PowerPC can't execute PC games directly. To run a PC Game, we have to use an emulator like QEMU, which translates x86 processor instructions for a PC game into PowerPC instructions. This comes - as you might have guessed - with a big speed penalty.

otakusupreme wrote:oh and torrent downloading... can anyone tell me whats a good bit torrent and if megavideo works on ydl 6.2. and also tell me things yu wish you would of known before installing linux to your ps3.... thanks. and can someone make a video on how to add the repos to ydl and add it to youtube... thanks.

As for Torrent clients - most of us use Vuse, Frostwire, or other Java based clients. There are some clients in the repos. I don't torrent, so that's about all I know about them.

Megavideo uses Flash, so, no - probably won't work.

As for the repos, we have a good guide here:
Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 6

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby otakusupreme » 14 Mar 2010, 18:52

thanks... i think. although i really didnt understand most of that. like i said... linux virgin here. i dont have a computer so i really cant download all that. im using my ps3 to view this website right now. but basically what i wanted to do was download the megavideo videos from my cache when they buffer up. ive seen many videos and read many things to do it. whats up with GIMP.... could i use it to make vectors or cut caracters out of pictures and apply them to a custom background (make forum signatures). ok well i think thats all m questions for now... thank you.

ps. if the ps3 browser has flash and can play flash video... why cant linux.
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 14 Mar 2010, 20:42

otakusupreme wrote:thanks... i think. although i really didnt understand most of that. like i said... linux virgin here. i dont have a computer so i really cant download all that.

Read through it again slowly, and you'll get it. This is stuff you'll get familiar with if you use Linux on the PS3 for a while.

If you don't have another computer, that does make things tricky. You can't burn your own disc that way, for starters. Most of us have used another computer in one form or another to set up our PS3s.

otakusupreme wrote:whats up with GIMP.... could i use it to make vectors or cut caracters out of pictures and apply them to a custom background (make forum signatures).

Small stuff like that is fine for GIMP. Anything major though, you're going to run into memory issues.

otakusupreme wrote:ps. if the ps3 browser has flash and can play flash video... why cant linux.

Sony bought a custom version of Flash directly from Adobe for the GameOS.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby otakusupreme » 18 Mar 2010, 01:55

s can i use irc on my ydl 6.2?
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Return to Playstation 3