HELP WITH WICD IMMEDIATELY

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

HELP WITH WICD IMMEDIATELY

Postby otakusupreme » 22 Mar 2010, 04:43

ok so im having a big issue here... cant connect on wicd. i got it to run finally but everytim i hit connect it doesnt connect att all. it says something about interfaces then resetting ip address then stops trying to connect. i did what the thing said on the ydl.net but it didnt mention this problem for me. someone PLEASE HELP!!!!

signed
friendly neighborhood noob.
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Re: HELP WITH WICD IMMEDIATELY

Postby ppietro » 22 Mar 2010, 06:04

otakusupreme wrote:ok so im having a big issue here... cant connect on wicd. i got it to run finally but everytim i hit connect it doesnt connect att all. it says something about interfaces then resetting ip address then stops trying to connect. i did what the thing said on the ydl.net but it didnt mention this problem for me. someone PLEASE HELP!!!!

signed
friendly neighborhood noob.

Did you delete the Wireless interface in regular network control panel? You can't have wicd and regular networking active at the same time.

See Scenario 3 here for more steps:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534&start=0#p23390

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby otakusupreme » 22 Mar 2010, 06:16

yes i did and i noticed at the bottom that it says resetting ip address then it says that setting up wpa configuration file... i am at a loss here on what to do... is there a way to add it back to my network configuration... was working fine.... wicd not so much. thanks.
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 22 Mar 2010, 06:17

otakusupreme wrote:yes i did and i noticed at the bottom that it says resetting ip address then it says that setting up wpa configuration file... i am at a loss here on what to do... is there a way to add it back to my network configuration... was working fine.... wicd not so much. thanks.

Are you actually running WPA? It sounds like you are trying to run WPA in wicd, but you were running WEP in Network Control panel?

UPDATE: Yeah - nevermind. It prints that message for WEP as well. Are you sure you have the right encryption type for WEP? Hex vs. ASCII? Did you have a 0x in front of your WEP password? If so, did you pick WEP (Hex) from the "Use Encryption" pull down? Did you remember that you don't need the 0x for wicd?

Generally, wicd runs much easier than network control panel.

You didn't patch wicd did you? YDL 6.2 wicd doesn't need patching.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby otakusupreme » 22 Mar 2010, 06:27

no i didnt i deleted it from te network manager and now in wicd it shows up... i enter the wep hex code without 0x and click connect it does someting for a split second then stops.
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 22 Mar 2010, 06:30

otakusupreme wrote:no i didnt i deleted it from te network manager and now in wicd it shows up... i enter the wep hex code without 0x and click connect it does someting for a split second then stops.

And - you have the encryption type set to WEP (Hex)? Is your wireless access point actually using WEP Hex? Did you have a 0x in Network Configuration panel or not? If you did use 0x, then you need WEP (Hex) - if you didn't use 0x, then you need WEP (Passphrase).

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 22 Mar 2010, 06:32

Let me ask a follow-up question.

Without telling me your password, how many characters is it?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby otakusupreme » 22 Mar 2010, 06:36

it looks like 13.

UPDATE: YAYYYYYYYY... it was supposed to be under passphrase.. i cant believe it... btw if i check automatically connect to this network will i have the same problems as b4 with not being able to start wicd?
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 22 Mar 2010, 06:50

otakusupreme wrote:it looks like 13 i will just tell you it so you know (removed after testing).

Okay - that's an ASCII, not HEX, password at 128 bit. Try this - use WEP (Passphrase) with your password. I set my wireless router to your password (WEP, ASCII, 128 bit) and was able to connect with wicd using WEP (Passphrase).

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 22 Mar 2010, 06:54

otakusupreme wrote:it looks like 13.

UPDATE: YAYYYYYYYY... it was supposed to be under passphrase.. i cant believe it... btw if i check automatically connect to this network will i have the same problems as b4 with not being able to start wicd?

Nope. You only get that error when you edit a certain entry in Preferences in wicd, I think. Advanced Settings won't trigger that error.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby otakusupreme » 22 Mar 2010, 06:55

thank you paul... you are a god among men. or at east amongst us noobs.
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Return to Playstation 3