HDHomeRun with YDL on PS3

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

HDHomeRun with YDL on PS3

Postby pablo » 23 Mar 2010, 19:22

I just bought HDHomeRun online and I am planning to get rid of my cable box and use a computer (Linux or Win) as my DVR/HTPC.
HDHomeRun uses plain Cat5 to send signals to the host machine, http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun_atsc but it comes with only Windows software, of course and there are software versions for Windows, Mac and Linux. Ubuntu claims to have native support for it via MythTV https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HDHomeRun I am hoping to receive my box today, and before I attempt and be frustrated, I wanted to check in and ask if there is any possibility to run this on YDL?

Manufacturer states it is compatibe with:
* Windows Media Center:
o MCE 2005
o Vista WMC (32/64-bit)
o Windows 7 (32/64-bit)
* Elgato EyeTV - DVR for Mac
* MythTV - DVR for Linux
* SnapStream BeyondTV - DVR for Windows
* SageTV - DVR for Windows/Linux/Mac
* MediaPortal - DVR for Windows
* GB-PVR - DVR for Windows
* VLC - Multi-platform media viewer/Linux
* TSReader - MPEG-2 transport stream analysis
pablo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Re: HDHomeRun with YDL on PS3

Postby aguilarojo » 06 Apr 2010, 03:12

pablo wrote:I just bought HDHomeRun online and I am planning to get rid of my cable box and use a computer (Linux or Win) as my DVR/HTPC.
HDHomeRun uses plain Cat5 to send signals to the host machine, http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun_atsc but it comes with only Windows software, of course and there are software versions for Windows, Mac and Linux. Ubuntu claims to have native support for it via MythTV https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HDHomeRun I am hoping to receive my box today, and before I attempt and be frustrated, I wanted to check in and ask if there is any possibility to run this on YDL?

Manufacturer states it is compatibe with:
* Windows Media Center:
o MCE 2005
o Vista WMC (32/64-bit)
o Windows 7 (32/64-bit)
* Elgato EyeTV - DVR for Mac
* MythTV - DVR for Linux
* SnapStream BeyondTV - DVR for Windows
* SageTV - DVR for Windows/Linux/Mac
* MediaPortal - DVR for Windows
* GB-PVR - DVR for Windows
* VLC - Multi-platform media viewer/Linux
* TSReader - MPEG-2 transport stream analysis

The problem Pablo, is verifying which Linux. It is easy to forget that Windows and modern Macs run on Intel computers. Also the majority of Linux applications which exist are primarily for x86 Linux or Intel and compatible computers. YDL originally was designed as a Red Hat Linux variant which ran on PowerPC systems, which up to the most recent Fixstars announcements meant (in the past) PowerPC computers only which included the Cell on the PS3.

Now if we are talking about the recent offering of YDEL and YDEL for CUDA by Fixstars these do run on Intel based systems which also means that the software you collected which has (most likely) x86 Linux support should also mean that it should work fine within YDEL and YDEL with CUDA which Fixstars recently announced runs on Intel systems. Now if your choice is x86 Linux then you are in business and all you need is an Intel based box. However if you are doing serious video, you may want to ask Fixstars for more information regarding the LR1A01 which has the WinFast PxVC1100 which would speed up your video work significantly. To get an idea of what is going on with the WinFast PxVC1100 you should read this article.
Last edited by aguilarojo on 21 Jun 2011, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby pablo » 24 Apr 2010, 04:58

Thanks aguilarojo, but since Sony recently disabled Linux partition on the new firmware, I won't even be able to attempt this anymore.
Running YDL 6.1 on Image 80GB PS3 Model: CECHE01 *Add your Model # / [GNOME] / Game OS 2.60
List of my Sony Stuff, Still not a fanboy.
pablo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby aguilarojo » 29 Jul 2010, 01:34

pablo wrote:Thanks aguilarojo, but since Sony recently disabled Linux partition on the new firmware, I won't even be able to attempt this anymore.

Hey Pablo, all need not be over if you don't want it to be. Fixstars released YDL for CUDA for free, which means you only need either an Intel or AMD system with a GPU. If you read carefully you'll notice that the new version of YDL supports OpenCL which would be needed to control an ATI GPU. If you avoid the "bells and whistles", meaning extraneous accessories, you should be able to buy a decent system you can utilize for about $600 or maybe less.

All the best...

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby blackpuppy » 21 Jun 2011, 19:03

pablo wrote:Thanks aguilarojo, but since Sony recently disabled Linux partition on the new firmware, I won't even be able to attempt this anymore.

Have to love everything that Sony has been pulling out of their you know what as of late. In an open source world it is weird to see an enterprise like this try to tighten things up so much especially since they are the creators of the PS3 (which has to be flexible) and they just finished a major PR disaster. With the computing world opening up the way it is (with cloud servers,youtube to mp3 converter programs, etc.) there is no reason this should have happened. Open it up Sony!
blackpuppy
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Playstation 3