Xe Emulator: Cant run rom's

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Xe Emulator: Cant run rom's

Postby otakusupreme » 28 Mar 2010, 09:53

hi all... i just compiled the Xe emulator, i know its probablyin the repos but i ust wanted to compile something, but i cant run a rom i get this message

Code: Select all
Unable to load ROM <gbcolor.rom>

the file im trying to run is filename.gbc but i dont know if this is the right rom or not. if anyone could help i would appreciate it.

p.s. Xe's interface does come up as does the rom on mednafen but i cant figure out mednafen and decided to try this out. any help would be appreciated.
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Re: Xe Emulator: Cant run rom's

Postby billb » 28 Mar 2010, 14:24

Sounds like you're missing the Gameboy Color BIOS -- see the Xe - Multi System Emulator site.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby otakusupreme » 28 Mar 2010, 15:09

where would i place them and also how do i speed up the video... its going slow and it is distorting the sound... i looked through the help but i didnt see anything to do it.
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby billb » 28 Mar 2010, 17:19

Please take some time and read through the online manual. :mrgreen: The location for the BIOS file is noted here:

http://www.xe-emulator.com/index.php?m= ... ECTION_3.1

So ... bios files go in:

/usr/local/lib/xe/bios

You'll need to be root to copy anything to that directory. For example, if you had the gbcolor.rom file on your Desktop, you'd say:

1. Become root:

su

<enter root password>

2. Copy the file from your Desktop to the correct location:

cp /home/yourusername/Desktop/gbcolor.rom /usr/local/lib/xe/bios

(replacing "yourusername" with your actual username)

Re: the speed, it will depend on what resolution you're running at... if you're running at 1920x1200 and Xe has to scale to fit your screen it's going to be slow. If you're running at 480i it won't be as bad. You can use the spe scaler tool to deal with this by having Xe run the game at it's native resolution and the scaler tool will use one of the Cell's SPEs to do the scaling work instead of the main PPU.

See here for more info on the scaler tool:
http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/bodeg ... f=18&t=100

It's already available from ps3bodega. There's also a GUI for running it. To install (assuming you're using ps3bodega for YDL 6.2):

yum install scalergui

That should install scalergui, scaler, and fscaler (which offers filtered modes). You'll also need to prevent Xe from scaling to fit your screen -- I think the option is called "Autofill" in the Xe menu.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby otakusupreme » 28 Mar 2010, 17:28

i actually use fscaler and it works fine with snes9x but it didnt work well with the snes roms on Xe. but i did get the bios up anyway thanks. i can always use snes9x for my snes games and Xe for gameboy.
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby billb » 28 Mar 2010, 18:05

otakusupreme wrote:i actually use fscaler and it works fine with snes9x but it didnt work well with the snes roms on Xe. but i did get the bios up anyway thanks. i can always use snes9x for my snes games and Xe for gameboy.

Yes, snes9x-gtk is best for SNES in my opinion. But when you say fscaler "didn't work well" what do you mean? Was Xe not running the games fast enough at native resolution regardless of fscaler? Or were there problems with the scaled image while running fscaler?
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby otakusupreme » 04 Apr 2010, 04:02

sorry for taking so long with the response. yes xe was not running the game fast enough even at native resolution. if theres a fix you can tell me but if not ill just use both emulators
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Return to Playstation 3