OtherOS removed in Firmware update 3.21

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: Otheros to be removed April 1st, DO NOT UPDATE

Postby DemonDelight » 31 Mar 2010, 04:41

vesh wrote:Better be April Fools.

I would wait on official word. Wait for the update to come out, and see what people say. Sony isn't exactly known for thier humour. If it's real It may be a very long time before I use PSN. (I hope that they will re-implement otheros support in the future)
DemonDelight
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: OtherOS removed in Firmware update 3.21

Postby spykez » 31 Mar 2010, 08:49

http://www.fixstars.com/en/products/ydel/cuda/

Haven't been to their site in a while, found this. So looks like that's the direction they will take. Good. When I get a CUDA-capable card, and if they have a free download of this, I may give it a whirl.

Interestingly, about the current sony debacle, the YDL general mailing list (http://lists.fixstars.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/)to date has been strangely quiet though.
spykez
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby knicknak » 31 Mar 2010, 10:34

My last 2 playstation blog posts (I needed to vent)

Whoever made this decision at Sony has VERY questionable judgement.

1. The hacker community is a ways away from being able to actually pirate games. Not only do you have to get past the PS3's hypervisor, you also have to deal with BluRays, the size of those things, etc...

2. The community that developed Yellow Dog Linux and various projects just got an unceremonious slap in the face for all their time and effort.

3. The will of the hacker community was good towards Sony - no one has hacked this thing for 3 years, and geohot just did it to show off. Now a much larger community is mad at Sony - mad people don't draw community-based limits (like only using the 3d acceleration capabilities for linux).

4. To even touch the hypervisor requires messing around with solder points and an FPGA - this is way out of reach for the vast majority of users (you know, the people you are punishing Sony).

The good that will likely come out of all this - features that Sony doesn't put development effort into despite calls from its users (go read the last couple years of forum posts) to do so - MKV playback, configurable partition size, etc may now become a reality because of this decision by Sony. (I'm speculating)

Does this really accomplish anything? Lets say the hacker community does actually develop some bad stuff - why wouldn't users just reload 3.15 and install other os - then install the bad stuff? Basically you are just eliminating Other Os for the "non-hackers" (everyone but geohot) until the hacker community actually hacks your system at which point anyone that wants their Other OS back will be able to get it. Basically you've made it so honest user get screwed out of a feature and people who don't have an aversion to breaking rules will not only get access to that feature but maybe many more - way to set up an incentive system Sony.

To summarize Sony has spent development effort into taking away a feature of the system. Instead of doing it in a way that is graceful (like giving the 10GB that Other Os users have partitioned back to them for GameOS use) they are just saying upgrade to lose 10GB or we take away your PSN. Backup and reformat down the road if you want it back - thanks Sony!
knicknak
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby linuxopjemac » 31 Mar 2010, 10:35

There is hope for you guys (see update news article)
http://mac.linux.be/content/sony-will-d ... ibilty-ps3
linuxopjemac
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 31 Mar 2010, 13:00

linuxopjemac wrote:There is hope for you guys (see update news article)

Thanks for the link. I'm afraid I have very little hope for being "saved" by Geohot and some custom firmware he may or may not be able to provide. If such "CFW" existed I don't think I'd use it anyway ... I got into all this because it was an option provided by Sony and not some obscure hack. What if it's possible that said CFW is detected and Sony decides to ban your console, or even just your PSN access (and access to all your DLC)? And then you need to get around that... ugh. The solution to that would only lead to more losses for Sony, game developers, and legitimate users.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jenraux » 31 Mar 2010, 14:09

Yes, to be honest, i wouldn't touch custom firmware with a bargepole.

Sure it may work on the PSP, but if Sony detect that you are using custom firmware, im pretty sure they will ban you.

Microsoft do the same thing, they are able to detect remotely whether your system is hacked, even if it has a flashed disc drive, they can ban you, and they do ban you.

As the PS3 is always connected to the internet, the chances are if your using CFW you will be found out.

Really i couldn't be bothered keeping Linux if sony is going to make it this hard to keep it. I bought my PS3 to play with my mates for free, as they dont like paying for XBL gold memberships. But i'd rather have PSN and the latest games than Linux.
Jenraux
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby alastor » 31 Mar 2010, 14:23

Ye, it is very likely that custom firmware update can be detected - after all Sony spends so much time on making the system more secure ( and not on updating XMB video player to play MKV containers for example ). Honestly I don't like this idea, because I wonder what will happen when I need update newer then this CFW ?
Actually now I really want to collect money for this thing:
http://www.open-pandora.org/
alastor
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby billb » 31 Mar 2010, 14:36

alastor wrote:Actually now I really want to collect money for this thing:
http://www.open-pandora.org/

That does look cool, but unfortunately it is STILL not released yet. It's the "Duke Nukem Forever" of handheld consoles! Well ... perhaps not that bad. :P Had it been available years ago I would definitely want one.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONY,I hate you!just read!!!!

Postby ACEFOMIQUZ » 31 Mar 2010, 14:39

[MODERATOR EDIT: Merged with main thread. -Paul]

Nothing to say with sad.
English version:http://www.fixstars.com/en/products/ydl/
Japanese version:http://www.fixstars.com/products/ydel/ydl.html
藍與紅如同水火不容,正藍者必憎紅!
ACEFOMIQUZ
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ACEFOMIQUZ » 31 Mar 2010, 14:43

I won't update to 3.21!
藍與紅如同水火不容,正藍者必憎紅!
ACEFOMIQUZ
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ACEFOMIQUZ » 31 Mar 2010, 17:23

CronoCloud wrote:Damn it!

I need PSN and OtherOS. I still haven't decided on what I'm doing. I play mostly single player, so I can hold off for a while, but I can't hold off forever. If I had a second PS3 (like I had a second PS2 just for FFXI) I'd just not upgrade the firmware on mideel, but I don't, and don't have the money for another one right now.

I use my PS3 for everything, I read my e-mail on it, I host a message board chat on it, I write on it, I edit pictures on it. Having OtherOS on it (and Linux on the PS2) meant we could get away with just one cheap Windows machine. And if I do update the firmware I lose access to LInux...and I would miss Linux. I suppose updating the firmware on it would be okay if I had an X86 CentOS or Fedora box, but I don't have the cash for that right now either.

Damn it!

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)

Your spirit is what I appreciate and I'm very agree with you.I like Unix(including UNIX BSD Linux)on RISC.I hate Windows(and lots of GNU/Linux) on CISC as IA-32/EM64T will imperil the existence of the last and most powerful and efficiency architecture which is called POWER.So the action of SCE today is really terrible.
藍與紅如同水火不容,正藍者必憎紅!
ACEFOMIQUZ
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby Mattblack » 31 Mar 2010, 18:06

boo :roll:

I would also like to thank billb and ppietro for their help - and any other linux genius that helped me. I have learn't a lot. Even had a practical lesson on corporate dominance.

This is geohots fault - he has solved nothing with his hacking, especially with this one where I believe he has ruined a brilliant feature that has undoubtedly educated many with basic computing.

If he posts a hack it is obvious that sony will see it and that can only mean they will stamp on your gaming.

Finally, what a crap tag this 'master' hacker has decided to roll with. Sounds like something a fat pedofile on a chat website would use to me.

Follow geogoat at your peril
Last edited by Mattblack on 01 Apr 2010, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.
Mattblack
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Jaybps3 » 31 Mar 2010, 18:59

I decided im gonna trade all my games and stuff in, With all the games guitar hero's and controllers rockband stuff, I can get quite a bit of new stuff for the xbox 360.

My ps3 is just a mild linux pc these days, Won't be updating any firmware not gonna play games on it or support sony at all anything sony I own will be sold trashed or traded off. I'll keep the ps3 for a linux playground and YDL other then that forget the game-os I wont boot it again :D
60GB PS3 (CECHA01) upgraded HDD 160gb, 40" Sony Bravia, Ydl 6 and plenty of other goodies :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/jaybps3
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby JiZames » 31 Mar 2010, 21:27

I haven't posted in quite some time but I had to return to see what was being said of all this.

It's pathetic what Sony's doing by removing this, installing and learning YDL was possibly the best aspect of owning my PS3 early on (from 2007-late 2008, it was the main reason I even used the damn thing). It was sort of like raising a baby pet, helping it grow as the months went by...then Sony shows up to euthanize it. Sadly, my CECHE01 crapped out in November due to the YLOD, so I opted for a slim as opposed to shelling out $150 for a faulty refurb...so I've already gone through the sacrifice of no longer having Other OS as an option.

billb, ppietro, and all others who made up the PS3 YDL community, thank you for all the efforts, time invested, and for helping those who cared enough to try a linux distro for the first time, a very eye-opening and wonderful experience. Long live Other OS.
JiZames
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby spykez » 01 Apr 2010, 00:19

billb wrote:
linuxopjemac wrote:There is hope for you guys (see update news article)

Thanks for the link. I'm afraid I have very little hope for being "saved" by Geohot and some custom firmware he may or may not be able to provide. If such "CFW" existed I don't think I'd use it anyway ... I got into all this because it was an option provided by Sony and not some obscure hack. What if it's possible that said CFW is detected and Sony decides to ban your console, or even just your PSN access (and access to all your DLC)? And then you need to get around that... ugh. The solution to that would only lead to more losses for Sony, game developers, and legitimate users.

I somewhat agree but I would wager that Geohot probably knows more about the innards of the PS3 than anyone else outside of sony.

If (and I think it's a very big if) Geohot manages to crack all the encryption and provide a custom firmware and hypervisor, I would hope that it would be to completely open up all the resources of a PS3 first and foremostly. I would hope it would remain somewhat compatible to the 'view' the current hypervisor provides of the internals as then possibly current kernels and drivers could run with minimal change.

If he knocks out the hypervisor completely, we may be faced with redoing a new kernel etc altogether and I honestly do not know if there is enough motivation to do this, amongst the people that remain.

But the same problem and dilemma probably will remain, will one be able to get on PSN and play multiplayer games on a modded PS3 without getting banned?

All you have to think about is the xbox debacle and how many xboxen were banned off the network because they were thought to be hacked (I don't know how many of these were 'false positives' as well!).

It's April 1st now down under. I have disconnected my PS3 from the internet and dare not play any online games on it for now.
This effectively means, I am not booting anything other than linux. Sony, you are a right shower of bastards.
spykez
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3