OtherOS removed in Firmware update 3.21

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: OtherOS removed in Firmware update 3.21

Postby bonedome » 02 Mar 2011, 16:11

Hello
this looks most interesting [LINK REMOVED]
-Added new PS3 hv calls
-Added possibility to access more than one region of a PS3 storage device simultaneously
-Added new PS3 NOR and VFLASH block device drivers
-Added new PS3 RAM misc device driver that enables direct read/write -access to the whole RAM of PS3
-Added PS3 VUART 10 (Dispatcher Manager) support
-Added new PS3 Dispatcher Manager Proxy misc device driver
-Fixed return value in ps3ram_ioctl

I'm not so sure how you're going to get linux on there in the first place if you've already updated, Graf_Chokolo has had his pc seized by der polizei but I admire his tenacity and work on getting otheros back oh and of course his big fu to sony :D
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Iguana » 03 Mar 2011, 03:34

Is it a cfw or a kernal?
Sort of confusing, but the readme talks more about it being a kernel :/
I'll try it out soon, maybe..
PS3 CECHLO1
GNOME Desktop
Yellowdog Linux 6.2
ihome keyboard
ihome gaming mouse (red)
Iguana
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby bonedome » 03 Mar 2011, 16:45

Hello
it is not a cfw but the builders of cfw have used his tools/discoveries to build cfw, his primary goal seems to be to re-enable otheros, this may of course require some sort of cfw to get there though.
It might well become impossible to talk about otheros/linux on your ps3 post fw 3.21 without at least mentioning cfw, having said that a cfw that "only" enables otheros with no ability to copy or play copied games might not have the moderators so twitchy, it must be great living in a country obsessed with litigation and blame :D
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby aguilarojo » 08 Mar 2011, 03:00

Here is a report which appeared on Ars Technica which explains that a Federal Judge has determined that Sony will be permitted to see the IP addresses of those who visited Geohot's website!

The only strategy I can think of is to use search engines such as Ixquick by which I mean that one links to any site through ixquick. It is not a pure defense though; a better strategy would be to use one's own VPN as well as implement well-informed self-defense strategies while surfing and using the net at any time. There will always be hackers and those engaged in illegal activity. However for those others who want to defend themselves from cyber-criminals I can only recommend that those so inclined deepen their studies and refrain from engaging in any online activities which one may come to regret, in any way, in the future.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 08 Mar 2011, 11:20

aguilarojo wrote:Here is a report which appeared on Ars Technica which explains that a Federal Judge has determined that Sony will be permitted to see the IP addresses of those who visited Geohot's website!

The only strategy I can think of is to use search engines such as Ixquick by which I mean that one links to any site through ixquick. It is not a pure defense though; a better strategy would be to use one's own VPN as well as implement well-informed self-defense strategies while surfing and using the net at any time. There will always be hackers and those engaged in illegal activity. However for those others who want to defend themselves from cyber-criminals I can only recommend that those so inclined deepen their studies and refrain from engaging in any online activities which one may come to regret, in any way, in the future.

Man - that's kind of outrageous. I can understand Sony taking action against folks posting data - kinda understand it anyway - but browsing? Seriously?

Yeah - I'll admit - I've browsed his site once or twice, just to see what the hullabaloo was about. And - now Sony is going to have my home address?

That feels like a serious invasion of privacy to me, somehow. I'm now kinda worried - well vaguely anyway.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bonedome » 09 Mar 2011, 22:23

wow when you thought sony couldn't sink any lower, they go and lower the bar once more and lets face it, the serious hackers are going to be behind gawd knows how many proxies and other ip spoofing software especially now, I've never visited geohotz website but am sorely tempted now, I mean sony are gonna have their work cut out digging through a million ip addresses, dicks
I'm Spartacus :lol:
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby aguilarojo » 09 Mar 2011, 23:48

bonedome wrote:wow when you thought sony couldn't sink any lower, they go and lower the bar once more and lets face it, the serious hackers are going to be behind gawd knows how many proxies and other ip spoofing software especially now, I've never visited geohotz website but am sorely tempted now, I mean sony are gonna have their work cut out digging through a million ip addresses, dicks
I'm Spartacus :lol:

Hi Bonedome, I just want to provide something for everyone to think about.

Sony got permission from a Federal Judge to acquire this information.
By default, this means that all Government Agencies from the FBI and others which some know of and others which have never been made public - together with international agencies and governments - have permission to "assist" in whatever means necessary to compile this information in any manner helpful in completing Sony's legal request. The reason "million's of IP addresses" don't matter is simply because of the level of technology governments and corporations can afford to apply towards their definition of "criminal activity". It's easy to rather see this process as a joke, but it isn't a joke. It's very real especially as a lot of information is gathered by websites as they are required to retain essential information providing proof to those ruling agencies that they are not violating the law in those countries. Especially as many of those countries don't care about "privacy" or "individual rights" (China, Korea, Russia, Japan, to mention but a few) but care more about dynamic and financially enriching website traffic, this is a very different thing where the pressure to cooperate or cease to exist as an internet presence - is very real. Keep in mind that in some governments their view of what is just is determined by how their balance books look, and how their national corporations fare, not how they appear within any scale of "human rights" concerns. If you haven't noticed, the issue of jobs or the lack thereof, is a very, very big deal -- which also drives Sony's lawsuit which is also possibly why the Federal Judge made that decision.

I understand that my presentation of the world isn't pretty or pleasant, but it is better to come to understand that being at the wrong side of many governments and many businesses should raise attention to what one is doing to create such annoyance with one's actions. Consider that it doesn't matter anymore whether it is Geohot, WikiLeaks or anyone else; when the value of products - and make no mistake "secrecy" is a product - which is a different way to understand Sony's argument but it fits - protected information/design and money loose their value a lot of people get very peeved. There will always be anarchists who respect nothing or no one, but be rest assured such persons will be ferreted out one way or another - especially as it no longer matters when everyone is losing money because a handful of persons.

Think about it.

aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby cward24 » 12 Mar 2011, 01:13

There seems to be some development on the OtherOS class action lawsuit. There seems to be an article at http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20110310172538157 about it. It seems to be somewhat interesting.
cward24
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby aguilarojo » 12 Mar 2011, 08:34

cward24 wrote:There seems to be some development on the OtherOS class action lawsuit. There seems to be an article at http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20110310172538157 about it. It seems to be somewhat interesting.

Hi Cward24, you are right! It's a nice link presenting a new legal argument against Sony.

The problem however is that the new argument they are presenting doesn't completely resolve the rational and logical deficiencies which their legal argument against Sony had in the first place.

aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby aguilarojo » 21 Mar 2011, 23:53

Federal Judge allowing Sony to access Geohot's Paypal records!

This reminds me of the scene between Luke Skywalker and Yoda. Luke: "...I'm not afraid!" Yoda in a deeply cryptic voice: "...You will be."

aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby lernatix » 27 Mar 2011, 00:33

Well, looks like there is finally ONE reason to own a slim.

Exciting news from graf_chokolo today, as he reports that he has managed to install Gentoo Linux on internal HDD of a PS3 slim! What he did basically was increase the VFLASH region (independent of GameOS) from 256mb to 40gb.

To quote:

Great news, guys I was very busy in the last days and i managed to install Gentoo on the internal HDD of PS3 Slim
I created a new VFLASH region of size 40GB and installing my Linux kernel there right now And GameOS doesn’t touch this region when i boot it So you can reformat your HDD (but not VFLASH) and Linux will be still there I resized VFLASH from 256MB to about 40GB

Next steps:
* Compiling petitboot for PS3
* Installing petitboot on VFLASH
* Creating HV CFW which is capable of booting GameOS or petitboot. petitboot can boot Linux (or other OS) from HDD, FLASH, USB, CDROM or NFS (just like 3.15 did it or me on my PS3 3.41)
* Creating a more user-friendly approach for installing Linux on internal HDD

BTW, check out my new ps3stor-utils and Linux device driver ps3stormgr. It allows you to create/delete storage regions on PS3 Linux I used it to create a new VFLASH region for Linux.

Here are my Linux partitions on VFLASH:

brw-rw—- 1 root disk 253, 112 Mar 25 19:19 /dev/ps3vflashh
brw-rw—- 1 root disk 253, 113 Mar 25 19:19 /dev/ps3vflashh1
brw-rw—- 1 root disk 253, 114 Mar 25 19:21 /dev/ps3vflashh2
brw-rw—- 1 root disk 253, 115 Mar 25 19:23 /dev/ps3vflashh3

OtherOS++ will be back and even better than my 3.41 version

[MODERATOR NOTE: Removed direct link to news story - too much information in there. -Paul]
: 60Gb PS3 : 1TB External : YDL 6.1 : Gnome : 42" LCD : Sound Bar : Daytona 675 :
lernatix
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby Gogeden » 30 Mar 2011, 00:21

I recently sent off an email to the GNU guru himself, Richard Stallman, on what Sony has done with this PS3 fiasco. He said that forcing users of the PS3 to upgrade was "Evil". And that the system was evil long before that with DRM. (Btw. You can email him yourself at his site http://stallman.org/)

I won't post the actual email. Something in my gut is telling me not to.

Just thought I'd share. I thought it'd be neat to have a PS3 compatible version of CoreBoot :P
Gogeden
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 30 Mar 2011, 00:29

Gogeden wrote:I won't post the actual email. Something in my gut is telling me not to.

I'll trust your gut - but if you'd like corroboration, feel free to PM it to me. I think I'd like to take a look at this letter. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 12 Apr 2011, 00:26

This just in: The Geohot lawsuit is over. They've settled out of court.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/ ... hotz-case/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20052883-1.html
and
http://kotaku.com/#!5790814/playstation ... nt-america

Exact terms of the settlement weren't disclosed, but Geohot has a "permanent injunction" against publishing any of the information he uncovered. In return, he probably won't have to face any monetary penalties.

Although legally, he's done with the lawsuit, Geohot is joining the Sony boycott movement:
http://www.techspot.com/news/43249-geoh ... along.html

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aguilarojo » 12 Apr 2011, 02:58

ppietro wrote:...
Although legally, he's done with the lawsuit, Geohot is joining the Sony boycott movement:
http://www.techspot.com/news/43249-geoh ... along.html

Cheers,
Paul

Geohot has a right to his feelings regarding what items are considered purchased/owned and therefore within the rights of an owner to modify as s/he pleases. There are many who agree with him that an owner's rights are absolute. It doesn't require a scholar to comprehend that different societies, countries and cultures disagree on these and many other points. These disagreements are expressed in various ways, but this brief discussion highlights the fact that the most important differences are expressed in the laws enforced. Although laws can change it is currently pretty obvious that rates of change can range from radicalized immediacy to careful and laborious deliberations.

Geohot's real problem, as well as those who agree with him, is that there are some countries like the U.S. who consider and respect corporations as individuals which have the rights to control and manufacture products which function according to specifications and purposes designed by that corporation. The working theory as currently implemented (via warranties and similar statements) allows consumers of these products/services to complain and return them should these items malfunction or otherwise fail. It is interesting that corporations are likewise considered as individuals in China with the difference that the Chinese Government absolutely participates in and oversees all aspects of how that corporation is allowed to exist within it's borders. It can even be stated that in some ways the Chinese people currently suffer most because corporations are free to pollute everything as they wish while corporations and government institutions profit.

Geohot and those who agree with him are misdirecting their energies and protests. The laws which allow Sony to make the choices they've made need to be changed. Boycotting Sony's products, or anyone else's products will not change the laws. Seriously changing the laws of course, requires real thought, discussion and determined winning arguments via one's representatives and determinedly consistent protestations -- not mere expressions of feelings. Changing the laws in every country or perhaps in any country, is hard and sometimes dangerous work -- not for the faint of heart. Given the difficulty of the energy and determination really required to change the laws it is not likely that any changes will occur because:

• No push for new legislation affecting corporate status/behavior is before the U.S. Congress. Instead the current political atmosphere provides a practical carte blanche for whatever corporations want to do however they want to do it.

• Currently financial and other crises have higher priority than the concerns Geohot raises regarding imagined consumer rights which consumers do not in fact have.

Given the above the best strategy in truth is not to boycott Sony, but rather to be determined as a consumer, to read thoroughly and carefully every warranty, and other fine print associated with any product one buys from any company. If some phrase or statement is not acceptable -- don't buy it. Literally.

All the best...

aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3