OtherOS removed in Firmware update 3.21

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: OtherOS removed in Firmware update 3.21

Postby bonedome » 30 Mar 2010, 16:13

Who threw that ? if no one owns up you're all in detention

I'm not sure I can leave a comment without a lot of anglo saxon four letter (and more) words.

I shall be holding off updating for as long as possible, but I think it's going to be inevitable, so here's something that's left me wondering
Am I going to get my 10 Gb back and if so does this mean another full format ?

somebody seriously underestimated sony's paranoia and pride

now we see what corporate bullying looks like

now where did I put that sledge hammer I got me some tasty pistachio nuts need shellin'

who needs therapy, see not a single £ucking swear word
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby rpgfaker » 30 Mar 2010, 17:25

Sorry, but I have the highest doubts that this is a real update, a great April fool's joke though. And I suggest to everyone to just watch PlayStation.Blog for the revealing joke by April 2nd...
rpgfaker
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby awa004 » 30 Mar 2010, 18:01

so if i upgrade, i just need to make sure i back up my files,right? The update will delete my linux partition? Do i need to uninstall linux? Will it just waste space on my hard drive or will the update clear it to be use by my gameOS?
awa004
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby bonedome » 30 Mar 2010, 20:41

Billb
if this turns out to be true are you still going to take a hit for the team with one of your "collection" of ps3's ?
this may help answer the above question

I'm also with billb on one of his comments, when trying to be stoic, I too value all the knowledge I've gained (mostly about this linux thingy) from this forum and not to mention the good karma that comes from sharing and helping others, that is after all the cornerstone of linux/open source
ha I sound like an old hippy :lol:
peace :D
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

No more Linux on PlayStation 3

Postby coffeetime » 30 Mar 2010, 21:56

[MODERATOR EDIT: Merging all related posts into the same thread. -Paul]

arstechnica :(
YDL 6.1 on PS3-[KDE]/FW 2.70/Samsung 46M87BD LCD/Onkyo TX-SR705
coffeetime
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby Tobe » 30 Mar 2010, 22:02

First of all I have no problem with passing all future updates. At this time I use my PS3 mainly for YDL. But I've been very disappointed with SONY since last summer (when they decided to remove Other OS from the slim model). Linux was the main reason why I bought the PS3. SONY killed any further development on the Linux side last summer. Now they try to kill a promised feature on my own machine - after they have been lying to us all ...

So I cannot understand those who are willing to buy an additional PS3. I personally will not buy any further products from such a lying company. There are other companies on the market which offer fine electronic products. For me I will buy the next refurbished MacBook Pro edition and maybe I will put a Linux partition on it. :D

So SONY has lost me as a customer forever!!! (And I have bought all models from PS1 to PS3 and would have been buying later models too.)

spykez wrote:I think it stands to reason that the older ones (games) are probably ok. In other words, if you have a PS3 isolated from the internet, when the game boots it cannot check to see if a newer firmware patch (or game patch) is available. So it just runs 'single player' mode and assumes it is the most recent version and has the most recent firmware version.

I think it is possible that the data storage medium of a newer game could come with a new version of the system software on the disc. If I remember right my PS3 once updated the Game OS software without being connected to the internet right from the disc of the game "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune".

Have fun with your consoles OR Linuxes :wink:
- Tobe -
Tobe

Postby ppietro » 30 Mar 2010, 22:04

awa004 wrote:so if i upgrade, i just need to make sure i back up my files,right? The update will delete my linux partition? Do i need to uninstall linux? Will it just waste space on my hard drive or will the update clear it to be use by my gameOS?

Here's the way it will work.

1. If there's *anything* you want in Linux, you'll need to copy it to some other device (external USB hard disc, USB thumb drive, etc.) prior to the update. Do not update to 3.21 before backing up your data.
  2. After you update, you will not be able to boot Linux. You won't be able to access any of the Linux partitions. In addition, you won't be able to pop-out the drive and access the sectors on a PC, since the PS3 encrypts the drive. Literally, when you update with 3.21, Linux is gone.
  3. However - you will still be missing the 10 gigs you allocated to Linux. To recover that, you will have to use the PS3 System Backup from the GameOS to backup your PS3 to a FAT32 External hard drive. You will then repartition the drive for "All to GameOS". Then - you will have to do a System Restore from the FAT32 External hard drive to your PS3.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jbob0124 » 30 Mar 2010, 23:18

Just to back up what ppietro said, here is the response I got from Playstion Customer Service regarding the 10gigs after the FW update...

PlayStation Consumer Services

We apologize for any inconvenience you are experiencing with the functionality removal of the “Install Other OS” feature. After you update the system software, you will not be able to use the hard disk partitions used by the other operating system. The data saved in these partitions cannot be restored after the system software has been updated. You will need to back up all data to storage media before updating the system software.

The update will not automatically give you back the 10 GB of space being used, however, you can regain it back by formatting your hard disk drive. You will want to back up any data you wish to save before formatting.

To format the PlayStation 3 hard drive: Settings > System Settings > Format Utility and choose "Use all for the PS3"

The following Knowledge Center article(s) may help resolve your problem:

Article Title: Installing a different OS or system software
Article Link: http://playstation.custhelp.com/app/ans ... l/a_id/469
jbob0124
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby kengreen » 31 Mar 2010, 02:13

I purchased the PS3 for this option and have experimented with Cell programming. I intend to continue to use my PS3 for this. I will never again purchase any product from Sony and I will not purchase any new games for the PS3. I have downloaded the 3.15 version of PS3 firmware which will be my last upgrade. Soon I predict that the PS3 will be completely hacked since many thousands of programmers will be pissed off by this change. Modifying the PS3 hardware will be less daunting since you can't play online games or new games with it without eliminating the 'other os' option. Sony has made a major costly mistake.
kengreen
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby Ecstasy » 31 Mar 2010, 02:29

Only if there was some way to bybass the encryption when the update was installing :lol: I hate life, nothing ever stays good for longer then a day. This is almost surreal with how much work I put into my linux. Ps3 was soooo convenient, with on the fly whatever you wanted to do. Now it's just a hindered flaw. I feel raped. No way im updating.
Ecstasy
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby Ecstasy » 31 Mar 2010, 02:48

Nothing beats being able to play killer instinct through bluetooth, while in a lightweight fluxbox, listening to music through a wireless online radio station. Now they make us choose?! After all this? This is such a scummy move. Talk about blackmail :roll:

Im stuck in a rut. I have a good amount of ps3 games. I ALWAYS use the PSN store, online multiplayer, downloads. Yet I don't wanna purchase a Slim just so I can maintain both aspects of my original phat. The irony! :evil:

My computer coincidently sh*t the bed last week, obviously not a real problem for a while because of linux on ps3. Then this happens!? WTF.

So heres my question - should I buy a slim or a new computer? I really think i'm done with sony.
Ecstasy
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Otheros to be removed April 1st, DO NOT UPDATE

Postby DemonDelight » 31 Mar 2010, 02:53

[MODERATOR EDIT: Merged into main thread. -Paul]

http://www.ps3-hacks.com/

And here's the original article:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/03/ ... april-1st/

Sounds like a cruel April fools joke to me, I'm still not going to chance it.
DemonDelight
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby lernatix » 31 Mar 2010, 03:01

I too feel robbed. But all I can do is hope it is an april fools.
I am playing Bad Company 2 way too much and having
to choose is quite sad. At least I can get my 10gig back
as my 60gig is nearly full.

I may as well take this oppertunity to thank everyone that
has helped me and others with the transition to linux or
fedora or cell. You guys rock, this was always my first
port of call when I got stumped and was never ever
dissapointed with your support. All the best with
this and any other future endeavours. Special mentions
to Billb and ppietro who are always there for us all.
: 60Gb PS3 : 1TB External : YDL 6.1 : Gnome : 42" LCD : Sound Bar : Daytona 675 :
lernatix
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby morgan » 31 Mar 2010, 04:24

i too am gutted, but ill be keeping my little ps3 linux box, ive got a 360 anyways, wat annoys me is it feels like they,re punishing us for there mistake , its not our fault sumone broke there security, fix it, dont just remove it, but surely if these clever hackers can hack the most secure console, then they stop this, i hope they hack and completely rape the ps3 now, and i hope they do it without other os, then they can give it back, ill laugh wen they do, im wounded
morgan
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Otheros to be removed April 1st, DO NOT UPDATE

Postby vesh » 31 Mar 2010, 04:28

Better be April Fools.
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3