Postby billb » 01 Apr 2010, 00:59

From the yellowdog-announce mailing list:

http://lists.fixstars.com/pipermail/yel ... 00223.html
Yellow Dog Linux Enthusiasts,

Sony has announced that the the 3.21 firmware that will be released on
April 1st 2010 will remove the OtherOS feature on old, large form factor
PLAYSTATION(R) 3s. This will affect all versions of all Linux
distributions for the PS3 including YDL and YDEL. If you upgrade to
the new firmware, you will NOT be able to run Yellow Dog Linux.

IMPORTANT: If continued use of Linux on your PS3 is desired, do not
update the firmware on your PS3 after March 31 2010.

By not updating your firmware, the following features will not be available:

* Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features
that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features
of PS3 games and chat
* Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require
PS3 system software version 3.21 or later
* Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media
server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings)
* Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system
software 3.21 or later

Fixstars remains committed to providing updates and support for it's
PowerPC and Cell Linux products through the end of the scheduled
lifetime. For YDL 6.2, updates will continue until the end of July 2010
and for YDEL 6.1, updates will continue until end of April 2012.

For more information about the new firmware, please visit:

SCEA (US):
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/ ... 21-update/

SCEE (EU):
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/03/ ... april-1st/

Sincerely,
The Fixstars Linux Team

So official updates will continue for a few months longer on YDL 6.2 and until 2012 for YDEL 6.1.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OtherOS removed in Firmware update 3.21

Postby CoBrA2168 » 01 Apr 2010, 01:58

YDEL 6.1? Sorry to off topic but what is that?

Good to hear that they will continue support for a while though.
CoBrA2168
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby vesh » 01 Apr 2010, 02:27

So if the nevt firmware update after todays one comes around, would upgrading to that one still get rid of the otherOS?
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 01 Apr 2010, 02:43

CoBrA2168 wrote:YDEL 6.1? Sorry to off topic but what is that?

Good to hear that they will continue support for a while though.

Yellow Dog Enterprise Linux.

Yes - it does exist. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 01 Apr 2010, 02:44

vesh wrote:So if the nevt firmware update after todays one comes around, would upgrading to that one still get rid of the otherOS?

Yes - they're cumulative.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby keefy » 01 Apr 2010, 04:27

The firmware is live I am still connected to the PSN on 3.15 dont know how much longer it will last though.
keefy
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby CoBrA2168 » 01 Apr 2010, 04:35

keefy wrote:The firmware is live I am still connected to the PSN on 3.15 dont know how much longer it will last though.

Enjoy it! You get to enjoy the last few minutes, unfortunately PSN is done for me.

However, I'm proud to say that I went 19-0 on Hardcore TD on my last MW2 match last night. :D
CoBrA2168
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ohm » 01 Apr 2010, 04:45

Damn, I don't believe it. Should I upgrade to firmware 3.15 before it goes away?

I got the PS3 because I was in a very serious motorbike accident and for about a year could not move much more than my finger tips. During this time my PC broke but I could not fix it in my condition and don't like having any one else to touch my hardware so we got a PS3 which my wife set up. My buddy next door created a YDL DVD which I was able to install on the PS3 so that I could both play games and tinker with Linux (as I used to do before the accident) while I recuperated. I am now well (amazingly enough) and have gone back to my old addiction (tinkering with Linux on PC's and gaming with WINE). So in reality, all our PS3 was being used for quite some while is for my wife to watch DVD's of (groan) Gilligan's Island, The Honeymooners etc. Yet I was a staunch PS3 supporter; that is, I was until I happened to notice "the announcement" on The Register today. :x

I have been re-evaluating my experience with the PS3. In particular, I have been comparing PC implementations of PS3 games and have finally had the courage to admit to myself that the PS3 is not as good a gaming platform than my PC (and can I just tell you that I hate that damn PS3 controller? Bioshock and Wolfenstein are both a heck of a lot more fun with a keyboard and a mouse than with that awful controller). Consequently IMO, my PS3 is now good for only Linux (which it runs better than most netbooks) but Sony obviously wants me not to use it for Linux. Unlike Sony, Nvidia attempts to make inter-operable products and their Linux support IMO has been very good.

So, good bye Sony, foist your eccentric engineering, heavy handed marketing and overblown Metal Gear Solid games on others while you still can.
PS3 noob
ohm
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby keefy » 01 Apr 2010, 05:21

CoBrA2168 wrote:
keefy wrote:The firmware is live I am still connected to the PSN on 3.15 dont know how much longer it will last though.

Enjoy it! You get to enjoy the last few minutes, unfortunately PSN is done for me.

However, I'm proud to say that I went 19-0 on Hardcore TD on my last MW2 match last night. :D

I have not played online on PS3 for months although I do sign into it most days but only because auosign is on.
Not sure if I want to udpate yet have like messing around with linux on PS3 but its not likeI used it as much as some of you guys here.

I keep pressing the "save" option on this forum its so opposite to every forum I ever used before.
keefy
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby CoBrA2168 » 01 Apr 2010, 05:31

Here ya guys go:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mqizylznw2u

This is a tool called "LG5Tool." This lets you bypass firmware updates on the PS3.

Download and unzip this .exe to a computer on your network. Run the .exe, and hit "start proxy." It will post your IP address which you can then put into your PS3's network settings. Once you try to log in, the proxy will spoof the PS3 into thinking you have the latest update.

Only a temporary solution, but I'm online right now with 3.15!

(Note you may need some .ocx file for the .exe to work, get that here: http://www.ocxdump.com/download-ocx-fil ... nload.html)
CoBrA2168
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby billb » 01 Apr 2010, 06:25

If you decide to go ahead and install the 3.21 firmware update (just installed it to my 80GB CECHK01) it gives a warning re: the "Other OS" removal:

IMPORTANT: If you update the PS3 system by installing this system software you will not be able to use an "Other OS". Carefully read the following information before choosing to update the PS3 system.

* Impact of installing this system software update

If you install this system software update, you will not be able to use an "Other OS". You will also not be able to use the data and hard disk partitions used by an "Other OS". Furthermore, the following menus related to an "Other OS" will be deleted.
* [Settings] > [System Settings] > [Install Other OS]
* [Settings] > [System Settings] > [Default System] (displayed only when an "Other OS" is installed)

If you are using an "Other OS", it is recommended that you perform the following steps before installing this update.

* Back up all data used by an "Other OS" and by the PS3 system software to storage media.
* Go to [Settings] > [System Settings] > [Format Utility], select [Use All for the PS3 System] and then format the hard disk installed in this system.

It also asks if you're sure you want to install the update, then it asks again if you're really sure you want to install it. In other words, there's no way it's going to happen by accident or without the user being aware the "Other OS" option is being removed.

I was a bit concerned since it said to back up all data used by the "Other OS" and by the PS3 system software before installing, but forged ahead anyway. It didn't perform a system format or anything though, so the Game OS data is still all there. And the menu options are for "Other OS" are indeed gone now. Other than that I don't see any obvious changes from this downgrade.

I'll still have to backup / format / restore to regain the 10GB "partition" but I may be upgrading the HDD in that one soon anyway.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Efaustus9 » 01 Apr 2010, 06:57

Logan5's Tool works! :D

For the time being you can keep your linux install and still log onto the psn. I made a video to demonstrate the software in action, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM0EyX1rZkc.
SKU: CECHB01 PS3 (20GB) upgraded to 60GB HD.
YDL Killed by Firmware 3.30 but linux on my HDTV lives on!
http://tinyurl.com/2dcujby
Samsung LN-S4041D 40"
Efaustus9

Postby magoo » 01 Apr 2010, 07:11

When I owned the ps2 I ran the memory card exploit and I liked the added features from doing so.
I just installed ydl 6.2 last week and had spent alot of hours learning the very basics and I thought what a cool feature, that I wish I had installed it when I first bought my ps3. Man bad timing for me. Thanks for the help guys. F#@k you Sony.
magoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby otakusupreme » 01 Apr 2010, 07:17

ok since im not updating and just gonna get another ps3 soon.. when i do get everything tranferred to new ps3 can i then use my 'old' and use the feature allot 10 gb to ps3. does that mean that the rest of my 400 some gb will be used by other os? and if i do decide to do that is there any drawbacks to me doing so???
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby rubecscubed » 01 Apr 2010, 07:25

Yes it's all true!I went to stream a movie from Netflix, and the update alert showed. Oh ok, went and hit update and to my horror I was looking at the end of my spare pc! Had to do the upgrade and yes they deleted it, gone like it never existed! I really liked you guys and what you where doin here, now what? Yes Paul you are right, leave it be, so all can enjoy the benefits, but nooooo, somebody had to get nosey and ruined it for all. Instead of messin around with my PS3, why didn't he try to solve the oil dependency thing, or design a battery car or something! People have a right to protect what belongs to them, a console or the tech that goes into it. It is a two way street. this is just as bad as obamacare! :evil:
ps3 160gb model 98038
vizio model sv42om 42" lcd hdmi
rca 5.1 surround sound on optical
thanks2mybarbi!!!
rubecscubed
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3