OtherOS removed in Firmware update 3.21

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: OtherOS removed in Firmware update 3.21

Postby ppietro » 17 Sep 2011, 08:27

Yup - and they make you agree to this before you can access PSN again.

Luckily, you can opt out. You have 30 days from when you (electronically) agree to send them a physical letter:

RIGHT TO OPT OUT OF BINDING ARBITRATION AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER WITHIN 30 DAYS. IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO BE BOUND BY THE BINDING ARBITRATION AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER IN THIS SECTION 15, YOU MUST NOTIFY SNEI IN WRITING WITHIN 30 DAYS OF THE DATE THAT YOU ACCEPT THIS AGREEMENT. YOUR WRITTEN NOTIFICATION MUST BE MAILED TO 6080 CENTER DRIVE, 10TH FLOOR, LOS ANGELES, CA 90045, ATTN: LEGAL DEPARTMENT/ARBITRATION AND MUST INCLUDE: (1) YOUR NAME, (2) YOUR ADDRESS, (3) YOUR PSN ACCOUNT NUMBER, IF YOU HAVE ONE, AND (4) A CLEAR STATEMENT THAT YOU DO NOT WISH TO RESOLVE DISPUTES WITH ANY SONY ENTITY THROUGH ARBITRATION.

When you mail that letter, you better get the tracking service and recipient signature too. :)

More info here:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/16/new-p ... awsuits-a/
and here:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/16/new- ... ss-action/

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby iceboxx » 23 Nov 2011, 17:23

Hello guys,
i am planning to buy a ps3 next month, i was so hoping that i would be able to install ydl on it.. please tell it please it's possible!!!!
iceboxx
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby aguilarojo » 23 Nov 2011, 19:05

iceboxx wrote:Hello guys,
i am planning to buy a ps3 next month, i was so hoping that i would be able to install ydl on it.. please tell it please it's possible!!!!

Sorry iceboxx according to what is published here Sony has no intentions of changing it's position. You can explore this particular thread and you'll find all kinds of complaints, legal actions against Sony and more over their decision. Unfortunately, NONE of the game box carriers allow Linux (of any kind) to run as an independent operating system which users like yourself can use.

If you want a game machine which can run linux you are going to have to first find a system like Alienware and their competitors then find out if you can afford the hardware while understanding what they are offering. You are on your own as far as installing Linux on those systems are concerned, unfortunately. Which means that you've got to have some solid fundamental understanding of Windows boot structures as well as Linux so that you don't wipe out Windows while you are trying to install Linux! There are companies that you can purchase Linux systems preinstalled but they are not gaming companies usually and their installation of Linux is so weak that you might as well stay with Windows anyway. If your technical skills are undeveloped, by which I mean you haven't completed your senior year in Computer Science Engineering at the college level then this kind of dual/tri operating system installation can be a messy challenge. Sadly even if you have Linux fully functional as a server and client while maintaining full Windows capabilities - the effort involved is not for those who rather do something else for the weekend.

It used to not be this hard, true. You used to be able to just turn on your machine and learn as you go. But that is all in the past, unfortunately. All that is left are those who never turned away from Linux because our interests were sufficiently technical that other operating systems were useless or nearly so and those who play games and run Linux anyway can do so because they won't update their PS3! However Sony is not selling those systems who used to work that way anymore. So if you try looking for these older PS3s you are likely to pay more in pain as well as becoming evermore financially shafted. Of course, not every offer is a malicious attempt to ruin your day but remember by this point in history the system you are buying is 3rd or 4th hand... so really what kind of reliability is that worth in cash these days??? Remember there's no warranty. No shop to take it back to if something goes south. So again, are your skills sufficiently strong to deal with the possibility of things going mysteriously weird?

You could get a great break in the sense that you get a nice old PS3 which works fine. I'm not trying to jinx you; just let you know that the market is wild out there and lot of people are selling not just snake oil but moonshine to go with it, and sadly much worse stuff.

Linux is a powerful operating system, but I wouldn't want to start anyone on it who wasn't properly skilled especially in today's market place. The days when Linux was easily accessed on systems like the PS3 are over and has been for sometime.

Linux is still free of course, but the knowledge required to use Linux well including manuals, training etc. for the most part are not. There is free stuff on Linux programming in C, Java, etc. but that makes sense only after you have some background otherwise it's like going to a baseball game where all you understand is soccer.

I wish I had something more encouraging but maybe it is just as well.

Sorry about presenting the current reality to be contrary to your wishes. However, I hope that something in this thread is useful.

I'll end this on a positive and hopeful note. Let's suppose you know a reliable friend or vendor or source who can provide you with a nice old PS3 onto which you can either install YDL or has YDL already on it. Either way if the PS3 is fine and all is good then by all means come back to the YDL Board and you'll find people here to help out with those questions and issues in running YDL on the PS3. Also the other threads in the YDL Board may have addressed other questions regarding the PS3 and/or YDL as you move on.

Apologies if I sounded a bit like a dark prophet of doom. Still I thought it best to lay out the risks. However sometimes good things do happen and we each need to be glad for that.

Good Luck.
Last edited by aguilarojo on 25 Nov 2011, 19:01, edited 2 times in total.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 23 Nov 2011, 20:39

iceboxx wrote:Hello guys,

If you're buying an older, most likely used, PS3, and its firmware revision is prior to 3.21, then yes - it's possible to install YDL on it.

If you're buying any type of PS3 "slim" or a older PS3 "phat" that has newer firmware, then no - you can't install YDL on it.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby iceboxx » 24 Nov 2011, 07:43

Thanks aguilarojo & ppietro,

thanks so much for the kind information, i will seriously consider ur opinon,. i was thinking abt using ps3 with yld on it to develop some python devel.. so sad i cant .,
iceboxx
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 25 Nov 2011, 00:24

iceboxx wrote:thanks so much for the kind information, i will seriously consider ur opinon,. i was thinking abt using ps3 with yld on it to develop some python devel.. so sad i cant .,

One other thing to consider. I just put together a pretty good PC gaming rig - Core i5 2500k (sandybridge), Asus P8P67 motherboard, AMD (ATi) Radeon HD 6950, etc. for about $700 U.S.

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on it, then installed VirtualBox: https://www.virtualbox.org/

Using VirtualBox, I can install many different Linuxes - including YDL for CUDA. It's not quite the same as YDL - but it's awfully darn close:
http://www.ydl.net/ydl_cuda/

VirtualBox is a virtualizer - it allows you to run different OSes (guests) on one machine (host). You can run Linux on Windows or Windows on Linux or many other different combinations.

This might be a good solution for you - especially if you just want to dip your toes into Linux without standing up an entire machine.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 13 Dec 2011, 22:15

Hi everyone,

Slight update: I don't know if you're following this or not anymore, but Eurogamer is reporting that the judge has thrown out the PlayStation 3 OtherOS lawsuit.

More information here:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... d-by-judge

UPDATE: Joystiq is reporting this as well:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/13/ps3-o ... dismissed/

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 14 Dec 2011, 03:16

I'm not surprised ... oh well. Thanks for the update.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CronoCloud » 15 Dec 2011, 11:24

And Slashdot as well, which is where I saw it:

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/11/12/1 ... ainst-sony
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby ppietro » 15 Dec 2011, 22:06

By the way - that hidden clause in the PSN update that opted you out of class action lawsuits?

Microsoft is now doing it too - from Kotaku:

Now Microsoft Wants to Stop You Taking Them to Court [Update]

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jaybps3 » 05 Jan 2012, 22:29

Sucks how it all worked out in the end. I still have my ps3 with the ydl 6.2 installed on it. I have not updated or played it much anymore considering I can't play online or access psn store. My ps3 and all the games and components have become dust collectors.

Just wanted to say hi to billb, paul and everyone happy new years to all you guys here on the boards.
60GB PS3 (CECHA01) upgraded HDD 160gb, 40" Sony Bravia, Ydl 6 and plenty of other goodies :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/jaybps3
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 05 Jan 2012, 23:45

Jaybps3 wrote:Sucks how it all worked out in the end. I still have my ps3 with the ydl 6.2 installed on it. I have not updated or played it much anymore considering I can't play online or access psn store. My ps3 and all the games and components have become dust collectors.

Just wanted to say hi to billb, paul and everyone happy new years to all you guys here on the boards.

Happy New Year to you too!

I still use my old PS3 fairly regularly - but mostly as a PS2! That machine is the only way to play PS2 games over HDMI.

I was given a PS2.5 (aka PS3 slim) as a present, so that machine plays the occasional PS3 game or accesses PSN from time to time.

By the way - to add to your woes, the latest Blu-ray releases won't play on your PS3 anymore. They require a firmware update. I've seen this on discs from - you guessed it - Sony. :)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 06 Jan 2012, 03:15

Happy New Year jaybps3! :) Thanks for stopping by.

I've managed to maintain interest in my old 3.15 PS3 with YDL by working on "The Zerogame Project" and occasional updates to the ps3bodega repo, but have mostly lost interest in playing anything on my other (updated) PS3. Still I'll probably have to break down and get Uncharted 3 at some point, though. And I have Little Big Planet 2 that I want to play but haven't taken the time.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 07 Jan 2012, 20:12

I've actually been using YDL for CUDA quite a bit via VirtualBox emulation on my new Sandy Bridge system.

One of the projects in the back of my mind is setting up a PowerPC cross-compiler. It would be awesome to be able to compile PowerPC code on my x86_64 system. :)

I used to do this for PS2 Linux - which is MIPS based. It worked great!

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 08 Jan 2012, 22:57

ppietro wrote:One of the projects in the back of my mind is setting up a PowerPC cross-compiler. It would be awesome to be able to compile PowerPC code on my x86_64 system.

I played with that a little and was kinda successful, but only for very simple applications (see my notes here).
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3