OtherOS removed in Firmware update 3.21

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: OtherOS removed in Firmware update 3.21

Postby aguilarojo » 13 May 2011, 21:20

STEFANOVIC wrote:Wow shocking news there indeed :shock: thanks for posting, this is the first incident Ive heard that could be related the the breach. Very worried now going to double check my statements etc just in case I missed anything minor.

I have some good news which I'm sure will be appreciated after having posted warnings, etc. There exists a free credit and identity theft protection service which you can learn more about here.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Gogeden » 17 May 2011, 03:53

So I got 3.50 OtherOS++ on my PS3. It's not very difficult to install. Do it like any other update via computer. Haven't really done anything yet with it though. Been too lazy and such. Which reminds me. I still got to fix my Xbox and get Gentoo on there xD
Gogeden
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby aguilarojo » 18 May 2011, 00:01

I thought it would interest others in this thread to learn that as Sony is attempting to restart/activate it's network, this effort is banned in Japan!! You can read about it here.

aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Iguana » 18 May 2011, 22:40

PS3 CECHLO1
GNOME Desktop
Yellowdog Linux 6.2
ihome keyboard
ihome gaming mouse (red)
Iguana
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby billb » 19 May 2011, 00:20

Ouch, sounds like Japan had the right idea... :shock:
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aguilarojo » 19 May 2011, 00:42

billb wrote:Ouch, sounds like Japan had the right idea... :shock:

Yeah, that and Iguana's May 18th posting that the most recent Sony PSN password reset implemented a security exploit is just the nightmare scenario for PS3 users regardless whether they jailbroke their systems or not. I'm sticking with my Powerbook G4 no matter what anyone says; it's safer than anything out there now, and looks like this will be so for some time to come! What a nightmare for PS3 users!

aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby billb » 19 May 2011, 01:10

Looks like this is being dealt with already:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/05/ ... t-process/

We temporarily took down the PSN and Qriocity password reset page. Contrary to some reports, there was no hack involved. In the process of resetting of passwords there was a URL exploit that we have subsequently fixed.

I guess they don't like people using the word "hack" although apparently it was possible to use an URL exploit to reset a password using only the user's id and birthdate. I don't know what the latest "official" definition of "hacking" is, but if you were able to do something you shouldn't have been able to do using an exploit it sure sounds like a hack to me. :P
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aguilarojo » 19 May 2011, 01:33

billb wrote:Looks like this is being dealt with already:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/05/ ... t-process/

We temporarily took down the PSN and Qriocity password reset page. Contrary to some reports, there was no hack involved. In the process of resetting of passwords there was a URL exploit that we have subsequently fixed.

I guess they don't like people using the word "hack" although apparently it was possible to use an URL exploit to reset a password using only the user's id and birthdate. I don't know what the latest "official" definition of "hacking" is, but if you were able to do something you shouldn't have been able to do using an exploit it sure sounds like a hack to me. :P

I agree Bill! I've not liked the way Sony explains anything which is why I don't buy their products. They don't care to explain carefully their meaning and I don't have the time to pursue an explanation from their management regarding what they mean exactly or discover what they actually intended.

Caveat emptor!

aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby aguilarojo » 20 May 2011, 00:23

aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby NeoAmsterdam » 21 May 2011, 05:55

billb wrote:I don't know what the latest "official" definition of "hacking" is, but if you were able to do something you shouldn't have been able to do using an exploit it sure sounds like a hack to me.
This is obviously some strange usage of the word "hack" that I hadn't previously been aware of.

My source informs me that Sony's notion of security was dependent upon several expectations:
    * Users not being curious.
    * Users not having access to tools (through the death of "Other OS").
    * Users not attempting to gain access from outside of the PlayStation platform.
It is easy to say this in hindsight, but there appears to have been quite the lack of foresight on Sony's part:
    * The contents of the database were not encrypted (perhaps a "speed v. security" tradeoff).
    * The database server software was not kept up-to-date.
    * The vulnerability in the server software was known and documented.
    * And, if what I have been told is true, those who were in charge of securing said databases and contents had been replaced by (I can't believe I'm about to use this word...) "n00bz" in a cost-saving measure as a result of the economic crisis. :roll:

No... This was not a hack.

No security is absolute, but it is better than absolutely no security.
shutdown -h now # Will the last person to leave please remember to turn off the lights?
NeoAmsterdam
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 21 May 2011, 09:43

aguilarojo wrote:Bad news for PS3 users: Sony admits that it cannot secure PSN!

Heh - that article title is pretty bad journalism, IMHO. It's a statement taken massively out of context and kind of specious, to say the least.

From the original article that this website quoted - which is located on WSJ.com:

After spending weeks to resolve a massive Internet security breach, Sony Corp. Chief Executive Howard Stringer said he can't guarantee the security of the company's videogame network or any other Web system in the "bad new world" of cybercrime.

and this:

Mr. Stringer, 69 years old, said maintaining the service's security is a "never-ending process" and he doesn't know if anyone is "100% secure."

He said the security breach at PSN, Sony Online Entertainment, an online game service for personal-computer users, and its Qriocity streaming video and music network his company could lead the way to bigger problems well beyond Sony, or the gaming industry. He warned hackers may one day target the global financial system, the power grid or air-traffic control systems.

He's not talking about securing PSN - he's talking about guaranteeing that PSN - or any other non-Sony website - can't be compromised. That's just common sense - given enough will, anything can be compromised. The trick is to either offer some incentive to not hack you - i.e. OtherOS - or harden your system enough where hackers move on to an easier target.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aguilarojo » 23 May 2011, 19:47

aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 23 May 2011, 20:12

Hi everyone,

BTW - to put Sony's current losses in perspective:

Sony now expects $3.2 billion loss due to earthquake

This includes the following statement:

Beyond the blow to its bottom line from the quake, Sony is also facing damage to its reputation and future results from the cyberattack launched against its PlayStation network last month. The breach, which resulted in a loss of customer data and temporary shutdown of the network, will not impact results for this fiscal year. But the company has already racked up costs of 14 billion yen (171.4 million) on customer support, legal expenses, network upgrades, and other items.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aguilarojo » 24 May 2011, 02:51

ppietro wrote:Hi everyone,

BTW - to put Sony's current losses in perspective:

Sony now expects $3.2 billion loss due to earthquake

This includes the following statement:

Beyond the blow to its bottom line from the quake, Sony is also facing damage to its reputation and future results from the cyberattack launched against its PlayStation network last month. The breach, which resulted in a loss of customer data and temporary shutdown of the network, will not impact results for this fiscal year. But the company has already racked up costs of 14 billion yen (171.4 million) on customer support, legal expenses, network upgrades, and other items.

Cheers,
Paul

Sony is certainly losing blood in the water. Lot's of it. It no longer matters whether one saw it to be a shark, seal or something else -- other sharks are coming and the feeding and approaching damages promise to be even more epic. A blog dedicated to Security issues discusses the Sony breaches as well as the damages users have suffered. Also readers are invited to leave their comments discussing their experience, and views regarding these events. You can find it here. I'm sure that those who participate on the YDL Board cannot wait to express themselves there.

Help Net Security recently published an article explaining how "hacking Sony's assets has become communal game in the hacker underground."

aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Iguana » 16 Sep 2011, 22:45

PS3 CECHLO1
GNOME Desktop