OtherOS removed in Firmware update 3.21

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: OtherOS removed in Firmware update 3.21

Postby Stealth_Musoka » 12 Apr 2010, 08:13

Well I have provided and dug up a LOT of interviews and E3 coverage type things, I don't know that it exists but does anyone have a box that says anything about otherOS on it? Mine from '08 does not. I'm wondering if the old B/C and memory card units boxes may have said anything. Or any type of printed or video ad that PlayStation did promoting it? Again I have interviews, manuals, etc documenting the feature but I'm told a box with this on it would be great, and any type of advertising would be good.
Stealth_Musoka
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Stealth_Musoka » 12 Apr 2010, 08:15

I apologize, I'm not trying to spam the board, but on the off chance someone only reads the most recent page, I wanted this up. I think everyone here would probably be ok with that, I won't post this again.

Hello everyone, I wish this was not my first post here, but nice to know there are others out there who are trying to use this legitimately like myself. I took my first dive into Linux 1.5 years ago. I started on Xubuntu at the recommendations of a friend using it on PC, and switched over to YDL when the VRAM memory swap was introduced. This has all been an incredible learning experience for me getting this all set up. I have come onto these boards to read the threads and get advice on how to set up much of what was done, and my thanks to all those people who contribute and help out, most of all the one name I have noticed more than once is BillB. Thanks guys.

I am technical, but nowhere near as technical as most of you here. Linux has been a real learning curve for me. I thought I was pretty computer efficient as I am the one usually helping people get their PCs up and running when they have problems, but YDL is definitely more intensive. I am enjoying it, though I struggle to understand what it exactly is I am doing much of the time, however piece by piece my knowledge expands. This has been a one day a month kind of project so though I have a decent amount of time invested, but I am still a noob at understanding Linux on the whole.

I was wondering if people here are willing to not give this up yet? Some people are talking about Egohot and his supposed CFW, even if he does have it, don't you guys think it would be better for us to be legitimately allowed to use things the way we were supposed to? I'm sorry Sony may have overreacted, but I don't want this guys FW on my machine, and even more-so, I really don't want to risk my console being banned online for using a modified FW. There is a class action lawsuit being readied to be filed shortly, and I am honestly wondering how many people who know what they are doing, and are doing this for the right reasons will step up and challenge Sony? I have been in contact with the attorneys this week, and I really want to join them and possibly help represent the suit, but I just really wish there were more people who were smart and understood what has happened would stand up with me. I'm sorry if I'm not supposed to do this, but I have a twitter account, I don't really twitter, but I am trying to use it as a means of communicating with people interested in fighting this. You can find me by the same name I use here, Stealth_Musoka, I will be broadcasting info on the details of the CAL, or at the least I can direct you to the attorneys involved, things are going to be filed pretty quickly I think.

I honestly love(d?) Sony, and the PlayStation brand, I never wanted to fight them, but this is just wrong, I don't care how few of us there are. I use my console for computing, gaming, online play, music, movies, and browsing, and these were all features I paid for. I would honestly be happy if they said those of us on 3.15 can come back to using PSN, and be able to play all future blu-rays and PS3 games even if that means they have to make game patches for 3.15 users. They could get the last people holding out on principal or on the hopes of the console being cracked to give up the OS willingly by giving them some of the features customers are screaming for on the PlayStation Share Blog. The majority of the customer base has already given up the feature, get those on principal or those who thought they would be pirating games in a week or two to give up the OS for new features. Then I think its time for Sony to reach out to the rest of us and offer a compromise for those of us. Personally I don't care if I can't upgrade and get cross game chat or backwards compatibility, or use the PS Move, as long as I can access what lured me to buy the product. Ability to run Linux, ability to play PS3 format games, movies, music, blu-ray, media-serve, internet, and ability to play online games with friends on the PSN and shot at the PSN store. I don't see the logic behind telling us that we can no longer pay for new games at retail or in the PSN store as a deterrent to piracy. It seems like that is going to lead to more frustrated people who are going to look for ways to do it without paying. I don't want to see the unit pirated to hell either but this isn't the best way, and I am hoping there are more people who actually know what they are talking about who will stand up as well.
Stealth_Musoka
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Legendary_Agent » 12 Apr 2010, 08:31

well mate the thing that pisses me off is that the console itself hasnt even been pirated at all yet... absolutely no hardware unlocked yet, no CFW for ps3 to play pirated games yet or to hack psn... nothing, imho they just did it so ppl would stop chasing fat ps3s and go for the ps3 slim instead, i got a friend of mine who also wanted to trade my ps3 fat for his ps3 slim, so, this looks more like a marketing cheap shot than legit concerns about pirating.
Legendary_Agent
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby Stealth_Musoka » 12 Apr 2010, 08:42

Well its definitely a knee jerk reaction on their part. If your familiar with the PSP, and the "scene" around it, it was and is a nightmare for them. And it probably was so easy to pirate that yeah it made developers a little nervous. It has taken them years to catch up and get ahead of these guys, but I COMPLETELY agree with you, and this is absolutely a different set of circumstances alltogether. This move wouldn't be justified at all even if it was, but it is ridiculous that they are tearing this out when before they did this it was pretty much one hacker who tore apart the PS3 and modded the hardware, and has done nothing but gotten a dump. Now since they have done this unfortunately they have spurred more of these guys into a challenge. Now I think its more likely than before that piracy might happen, on the other hand, it might not, either way I'm guessing its farther away than people think.
I thought the PS3 was supposed to have the Uber-security here. Even if they reversed the firmware, I thought the blu-ray drives and discs had some kind of unique encryption scheme. So yeah they screwed us all because some guy was just taking the first steps towards POTENTIAL piracy. I personally think what they should have done is told people ok we are giving you guys these great new features that you want, (they all want cross game chat and backwards compat etc.) Give them that, but tell them openly that you have to give up OS to have it. I wouldn't have even cared if they lied and said they needed the memory or more room in the footprint or something stupid. So everyone who gives up OS gets the new features, the rest of us Linux guys can't get the new stuff (sucks if you're interested in it, but at least it wasn't something you paid for originally right?) I think that would have gotten almost everyone to voluntarily give up the OS, theres a myriad of other possible solutions, but they chose oh well it will hurt less than 1% of users, I guess we can throw those ones away. That sucks for us, and for them, I used to help talk friends and family into the PS3 and Sony products, but now I feel betrayed. Another thing to realize is, its a computer, and there will always be people determined to unravel its secrets, no matter what they do, people are going to try and I'm sure eventually would find a way. Anyhow, I'm rambling, just some of my thoughts on all this. I'd be happy to just be able to get back onto PSN legitimately and be assured there will be patches to insure that I can play all future games. But nope they want to lock us out of buying new games...
Last edited by Stealth_Musoka on 12 Apr 2010, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
Stealth_Musoka
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby aguilarojo » 12 Apr 2010, 08:49

Stealth_Musoka wrote:I apologize, I'm not trying to spam the board, ... I am hoping there are more people who actually know what they are talking about who will stand up as well.

I am merely expressing my camaraderie or a "pat on the back" regarding the overall effort to "do something". I don't know that the path you are choosing is the best approach. I agree with others on this thread and elsewhere that the legal approach although the most appropriate means to get Sony's attention, unfortunately may be a the financial equivalent of a "sink hole", something which has the capacity to consume all your resources and anyone else. I'm not interested in spreading FUD aka Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

I am interested in encouraging you to consider the approach you are taking. Another contributor to the YDL Board, made very clear comments on this thread regarding legal arguments, costs, etc. It is obvious from his writing on the topic he knows what is involved, and he recommends that no legal effort or challenge against Sony be made. He states his reasoning clearly; I agree although the manner he arrived at his logic differs from mine -- the people who could loose very much more, are individuals whose time and resources are sparse.

In my view, if one breathes, there are better things to do with one's life than spend them in court.

I respect that you feel strongly to move ahead, regardless any caution otherwise. Please know that I wish you success in the thrust of your argument.

I don't have or own a PS3. I am a longtime YDL user from way back. I admit to lusting after the PS3 for quite awhile, and almost was moved to get one just from the desire many techies have to explore and manage as much throughput as one can direct through a CPU. But unlike many many other people, I read the fine print regarding how Sony described it's products associated with the PS3 and the services it offered associated with it. I didn't like what I read and didn't buy the PS3. I stayed firmly within the YDL side and very, very sadly -- here we are.

I wish the strategy you follow the best success possible. You may actually start something big, but in my view there are other things which may better deserve your time and money and effort. Compared to all the real pain in this world, the situation Sony has created doesn't compare to severely critical problems various nations and our planet suffer. Please consider well your efforts and time.

All the best...
Last edited by aguilarojo on 12 Apr 2010, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Stealth_Musoka » 12 Apr 2010, 08:54

I hear you, and honestly I wouldn't invest my money, the attorneys I have been speaking with are apparently willing to pick up all costs, so it seems they are willing to risk the resources. I believe they are trying to file it and get it started in the next few days here. I have corresponded with them through the week, had a look into background and what not to make sure they are legit, and should be talking to them over phone tomorrow. I understand and appreciate the urge of caution. I have not signed up for the suit just yet, I have only agreed to spread the word, though I probably will at the least put my name in the hat as an unnamed plaintiff in the case. I'm still mulling it all over. I'm a poor college student, I can't afford to buy another PS3, and I honestly bought it to do all those things. So I'm heartbroken with a company I supported and bought launch products from for 15 years now or so. But thank you all I appreciate all of your advice, and intend to take it to heart as I seek my decision. And yeah I want to speak out and do that right thing, but I also hear that it probably isn't worth the time or stress, food for thought. It sucks, I really just want my functionality back without having to install a hack, and possibly have my PS3 banned forever, that is honestly all I want :(
Stealth_Musoka
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby lastorderfan » 12 Apr 2010, 13:58

WE PAID FOR THAT FEATURE WHEN YOU BOUGHT IT WITH "OTHER OS"! IF I SOLD YOU A CAR THEN DAYS LATER CAME BACK AND REMOVED ITS STEREO SYSTEM BECAUSE YOU COULD LISTEN TO PIRATED CONTENT ON IT, EVEN THOUGH I HAD NO REAL EVIDENCE THAT YOU DID, WOULD THAT BE LOGICAL? IS IT FAIR THAT LOYAL SONY CUSTOMERS GET KICKED IN THE NUTS GET WHAT THEY PAID FOR TAKEN AWAY, (ON APRIL FOOL’S DAY NO LESS!) AND GET ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN RETURN FOR FOR IT!? AND ALL BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO LAZY TO TAKE CARE OF THE REAL CULPRITS! HACKERS WILL NOT BE AFFECTED BY OTHER OS REMOVAL. ONLY COMPLIANT CONSUMERS. THEY CAN ALSO
REMOVE ALL THE FEATURES YOU GIVE A HOOT ABOUT IF THEY WANT WHICH IS WHY ITS AN IMPORTANT ISSUE! AS WE SPEAK, HACKERS NOW HAVE A REAL INCENTIVE TO HACK PS3 EVEN FURTHER AND DEVELOP DEFENSES AGAINST UPDATE 3.21 WHILE THE REST OF US TAKE IT FROM THE REAR BY SONY’S KNEE-JERK REACTION! ANYONE GETTING THE BIG PICTURE YET? SELLING YOU SOMETHING, THEN TAKING IT BACK WITHOUT AN EQUIVALENT EXCHANGE OR REPLACEMENT IS STEALING! JUST BECAUSE YOU WERE EITHER TOO UNAWARE, UNEDUCATED ABOUT A FEATURE OF PS3, OR DID NOT CARE DOES NOT MEAN I OR SONY OR ANY HACKER HAS THE RIGHT TO SCREW WITH YOU. i MEAN, THEY DID IT ON APRIL FOOL’S DAY! OTHER OS GAVE YOU AN EXTRA COMPUTER THAT WORKED OFF A TOTALLY FREE OPERATING SYSTEM, UNLIKE WINDOWS WHICH COSTS MORE THAN $100.00. A PS3 SYSTEM WITH OTHER OS ENABLED IS NOW WORTH MORE ON EBAY THAN TWO 3.21 PS3′S PUT TOGETHER! HA! GEOHOT JUST MADE ME TWICE AS HAPPY… THAT I DID NOT UPDATE! STICK IT WHERE THE SUN DON’T SHINE SONY!
lastorderfan
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ACEFOMIQUZ » 12 Apr 2010, 15:35

lastorderfan wrote:WE PAID FOR THAT FEATURE WHEN YOU BOUGHT IT WITH "OTHER OS"! IF I SOLD YOU A CAR THEN DAYS LATER CAME BACK AND REMOVED ITS STEREO SYSTEM BECAUSE YOU COULD LISTEN TO PIRATED CONTENT ON IT, EVEN THOUGH I HAD NO REAL EVIDENCE THAT YOU DID, WOULD THAT BE LOGICAL? IS IT FAIR THAT LOYAL SONY CUSTOMERS GET KICKED IN THE NUTS GET WHAT THEY PAID FOR TAKEN AWAY, (ON APRIL FOOL’S DAY NO LESS!) AND GET ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN RETURN FOR FOR IT!? AND ALL BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO LAZY TO TAKE CARE OF THE REAL CULPRITS! HACKERS WILL NOT BE AFFECTED BY OTHER OS REMOVAL. ONLY COMPLIANT CONSUMERS. THEY CAN ALSO
REMOVE ALL THE FEATURES YOU GIVE A HOOT ABOUT IF THEY WANT WHICH IS WHY ITS AN IMPORTANT ISSUE! AS WE SPEAK, HACKERS NOW HAVE A REAL INCENTIVE TO HACK PS3 EVEN FURTHER AND DEVELOP DEFENSES AGAINST UPDATE 3.21 WHILE THE REST OF US TAKE IT FROM THE REAR BY SONY’S KNEE-JERK REACTION! ANYONE GETTING THE BIG PICTURE YET? SELLING YOU SOMETHING, THEN TAKING IT BACK WITHOUT AN EQUIVALENT EXCHANGE OR REPLACEMENT IS STEALING! JUST BECAUSE YOU WERE EITHER TOO UNAWARE, UNEDUCATED ABOUT A FEATURE OF PS3, OR DID NOT CARE DOES NOT MEAN I OR SONY OR ANY HACKER HAS THE RIGHT TO SCREW WITH YOU. i MEAN, THEY DID IT ON APRIL FOOL’S DAY! OTHER OS GAVE YOU AN EXTRA COMPUTER THAT WORKED OFF A TOTALLY FREE OPERATING SYSTEM, UNLIKE WINDOWS WHICH COSTS MORE THAN $100.00. A PS3 SYSTEM WITH OTHER OS ENABLED IS NOW WORTH MORE ON EBAY THAN TWO 3.21 PS3′S PUT TOGETHER! HA! GEOHOT JUST MADE ME TWICE AS HAPPY… THAT I DID NOT UPDATE! STICK IT WHERE THE SUN DON’T SHINE SONY!

GOD with noting to say...

MEANS:"無語的上帝" in Chinese.
藍與紅如同水火不容,正藍者必憎紅!
ACEFOMIQUZ
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ACEFOMIQUZ » 12 Apr 2010, 15:44

ACEFOMIQUZ wrote:
lastorderfan wrote:WE PAID FOR THAT FEATURE WHEN YOU BOUGHT IT WITH "OTHER OS"! IF I SOLD YOU A CAR THEN DAYS LATER CAME BACK AND REMOVED ITS STEREO SYSTEM BECAUSE YOU COULD LISTEN TO PIRATED CONTENT ON IT, EVEN THOUGH I HAD NO REAL EVIDENCE THAT YOU DID, WOULD THAT BE LOGICAL? IS IT FAIR THAT LOYAL SONY CUSTOMERS GET KICKED IN THE NUTS GET WHAT THEY PAID FOR TAKEN AWAY, (ON APRIL FOOL’S DAY NO LESS!) AND GET ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN RETURN FOR FOR IT!? AND ALL BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO LAZY TO TAKE CARE OF THE REAL CULPRITS! HACKERS WILL NOT BE AFFECTED BY OTHER OS REMOVAL. ONLY COMPLIANT CONSUMERS. THEY CAN ALSO

GOD with noting to say...

MEANS:"無語的上帝" in Chinese.

I mean you didn't need to write all these above in capital letters as I hate SONY with the same to you.
藍與紅如同水火不容,正藍者必憎紅!
ACEFOMIQUZ
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby Legendary_Agent » 12 Apr 2010, 18:45

imo they should go on with it, hell if ppl forced Microsoft to offer them a choice console for the Internet Browser on their own freaking OS then i supose they could force Sony to put back the feature that they promissed they wouldnt remove.
Legendary_Agent
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 13 Apr 2010, 01:50

Stealth_Musoka wrote:Well I have provided and dug up a LOT of interviews and E3 coverage type things, I don't know that it exists but does anyone have a box that says anything about otherOS on it? Mine from '08 does not. I'm wondering if the old B/C and memory card units boxes may have said anything. Or any type of printed or video ad that PlayStation did promoting it? Again I have interviews, manuals, etc documenting the feature but I'm told a box with this on it would be great, and any type of advertising would be good.

I still have my launch box - I'll take a look.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CronoCloud » 13 Apr 2010, 05:02

ppietro wrote:
I still have my launch box - I'll take a look.

Cheers,
Paul

Wasn't on my CECHE01 MG model's box that I remember The only time's I saw OtherOS support mentioned officially by SCEfoo was in interviews discussed on sites like Slashdot and in that Open Platform website they launched at the launch of the PS3. http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/index.html It is discussed in the online manual for 3.15 and earlier: http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... stall.html

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby Tipper » 13 Apr 2010, 13:23

Legendary_Agent wrote:imo they should go on with it, hell if ppl forced Microsoft to offer them a choice console for the Internet Browser on their own freaking OS then i supose they could force Sony to put back the feature that they promissed they wouldnt remove.
That particular legal action cost individual consumers precisely nothing: it was taken on by the guys at the EC that I referenced in an earlier post. My best guess (at least in Europe) is to play this via individual boycotts, via the individual retailers (if they get enough claims in the small claims court they'll be contacting Sony), via the media aka consumer affairs programs (e.g. BBC watchdog, Radar), via the consumer protection agencies, and the anti-competition authorities. We really don't have the same "class action" system here, which makes legal action by individual users very difficult.
Tipper
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Seraphic » 13 Apr 2010, 16:45

Did sony find a way to block the dns bypass? I turned PS3 on today and it keeps failing to connect to PSN using the DNS bypass from the Aaron user on the other form (67.202.etc). Or is just PSN down today?
60GB CECHA 3.15 firmware PlayStation 3 with 160GB HDD
Running 10GB OtherOS partition with Yellow Dog Linux 6.2 installed
Seraphic
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 13 Apr 2010, 17:37

Seraphic wrote:Did sony find a way to block the dns bypass? I turned PS3 on today and it keeps failing to connect to PSN using the DNS bypass from the Aaron user on the other form (67.202.etc). Or is just PSN down today?

That's a good question. I can't log on today either, so it's not just Aaron's server.

They may have blocked it. I'll have to try logging on later and see if it works.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3