OtherOS removed in Firmware update 3.21

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: OtherOS removed in Firmware update 3.21

Postby ppietro » 14 Apr 2010, 04:42

Okay - so I did a little packet sniffing. :D

What I found is that, as I had mentioned, the PS3 checks to see what the current firmware is, and updates if necessary. This is done via http:// and is the basis of the DNS trick. Then, it tries to log into PSN via https:// , and this is where we fail now.

So - since I can't decrypt https:// packets that's the end of my snooping. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bonedome » 14 Apr 2010, 07:25

iguana said
Speaking of games, I hope that sony's game makers will decide "not" to input any restrictions on the disc such as: in order to play the games for the ps3 you have to update your console to firmware 3.21 or higher, blah, blah, blah.. Because that would defiantly suck

in reply I said
I don't remember an internet connection being mandatory to play ps3 games, admittedly most of us are connected, but to make a game that effectively doesn't work without it, hmmm I'm not sure game developers/companies will go for that

it's very difficult to get my subtle brand of English sarcasm across without hearing the tone in my voice or the expression on my face, I vote for a sarcastic smiley :D
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby EdrickV » 14 Apr 2010, 08:36

To answer an earlier question: The Motorstorm bundle PS3 (80Gb 4USB) box does not mention Linux or Other OS, nor does the Quick Reference manual that comes with it. (The online User Guide did but I think has since been updated to remove that info.)

Not sure if Linux was mentioned in the E3 2006 press conference, but videos of it are still available at IGN. Linux has of course been mentioned here:
http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/index.html
And on articles on IGN and doubtless other sites. (Some articles mention Sony's original plan to ship PS3s with Linux pre-installed.)

Edit: Location of the 3.10-3.15 version of the user guide which lists the Install Other OS and Default System options:
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/3_15/
EdrickV
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Stealth_Musoka » 14 Apr 2010, 12:28

My thanks to all who have and are checking their boxes. Also my thanks to the links for the manuals. I have all of the links posted so far, but it never hurts to try. I am continuing to keep my eyes on this post. :D
Stealth_Musoka
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Mulzafunk » 14 Apr 2010, 13:21

Hi guys,

I am one of the people who updated unaware of all that was going on with the other os. So I lost it, although luckily nothing too important was on it.

I'm sure I'm not the only one so hopefully this query can help others.

My question is whether I can get the other os back. I was thinking of doing this:

>Restore my ps3 to factory settings which will hopefully bring my other os option back

>Install as before the YDL 6.2

>Then update my ps3 through Modern Warfare 2 [which I hope has 3.15] or is there an online download for it

>And be back to where I was pre-3.21, and of course hope that this get's resolved through the CFW or whatever I can do without online gaming for a bit.

I'll refrain from a rant on Sony and the debacle, I'd just like to say thanks to everyone on this forum for posting all the helpful info.

Cheers,

K
Mulzafunk
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 14 Apr 2010, 14:09

Mulzafunk wrote:I am one of the people who updated unaware of all that was going on with the other os. So I lost it, although luckily nothing too important was on it.

I'm sorry to hear this is happening to some users, but ... having purposefully updated my 80GB PS3 with an OtherOS partition on it, I don't see how you could possibly be unaware of what was going to happen -- see here. It gives you a clear warning and asks you twice if you're sure you want to install the update.

Anyway, I don't know of a way to go back -- I tried the restore defaults option on my 80GB PS3, put in a new hard drive, and used a 3.15 PUP file when it asked for an update file. It rejected it saying it needed to be 3.21 or higher. So of course it's not that simple, but maybe there's another way... ?
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 14 Apr 2010, 17:37

Mulzafunk wrote:My question is whether I can get the other os back.

Nope - once you've updated to 3.21, it's gone for good. You can't downgrade - at all.

None of the disc tricks will work - there's just enough firmware in the newer units to store the revision number.

SIDEBAR: Original PS3s had 256K of non-volatile ram - the firmware updates fit completely in there. Newer phat PS3s have 16k of non-volatile ram - the firmware actually sits on the hard discs on those models.

The PS3 apparently keeps track in firmware of what OS revision you should be running. Swapping hard discs won't get around this.

billb wrote:Anyway, I don't know of a way to go back -- I tried the restore defaults option on my 80GB PS3, put in a new hard drive, and used a 3.15 PUP file when it asked for an update file. It rejected it saying it needed to be 3.21 or higher. So of course it's not that simple, but maybe there's another way... ?

None that anyone is aware of, right now. If/when Sony releases a new firmware, it may be possible to install a custom firmware that restores features - that's the only option for 3.21 users right now.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. Obviously - this isn't written in stone. If somebody finds an exploit like the Pandora Battery, then this all changes.
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby live1 » 14 Apr 2010, 18:18

just got off the phone from sony uk .they said the gta game thats out on fri wont work without updating this really sucks.so we cant even play games offline.f**k sony
live1
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby Nightmare » 14 Apr 2010, 19:36

As far as i can see it is possible to play PS3 games online with the KAI-Network - but only with 12 games.
There is even a DD-WRT Version with the KAI-Proxy (but maybe only for XBOX?)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Kai_Console_Gaming

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/?go=games
Sony Playstation 3
Armored Core 4
Blazing Angels 2
Call of Duty 4
Call of Duty-Modern Warfare 2
F.E.A.R
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
Kane And Lynch Dead Men
Rainbow Six Vegas
The Darkness
TimeShift
Unreal Tournament 3
Warhawk
Total Supported: 12
Nightmare
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Taellik » 14 Apr 2010, 20:16

Iguana wrote:
paddy_dev wrote:Not sure if this has any meaning, but here it goes.

Just now, I started up the game Borderlands I purchased earlier today and was notified an update to the game was found and download was required (1.02). Earlier, I had already installled the game and before doing so, disabled the PS3's internet connection so the game would not check for any updates.

The game update has been downloaded and installed now, and I can play the game just fine.

Speaking of games, I hope that sony's game makers will decide "not" to input any restrictions on the disc such as: in order to play the games for the ps3 you have to update your console to firmware 3.21 or higher, blah, blah, blah.. Because that would defiantly suck, but if they do decide to do something like that, then they could maybe make it an update for the game instead of damaging the game disc its self for us anti-firmware updaters that want to keep the other OS option; because if they could decide do this, then we could still be able to play games that are going to be released in the near future, and besides I think that game updates don't really improve the game that much...

Game developers that have been doing dual-release versions on games will probalby now drop the PS3 due to the community backlash over the OtherOS removal and the inventory of PS3 games will dry up since Sony licensing will require game publishers to make it mandatoy to have the firmware upgrade installed as a "hook" to install the game.

End result, a slow death of the PS3 as a game console as Electronic Arts, Activision and the Indie publishers abandon the cosole.

R.I.P. Playstation 3

Taellik
PS3 80GB, FW 3.21
EyeToy II
NO YDL 6.2 due to 3.21 firmware upgrade
PSP
PSP Go! Cam
Taellik
ydl addict
ydl addict

Location: Raleigh NC and God's Favorite Nation --> THE United States of America

Postby coreno » 14 Apr 2010, 20:52

Well, what this means is that there were enough people not willing to update, AND using the proxy, that Sony felt they had to implement measures to prevent that from happening. So we've already influenced them (though not the result we want, yet....).

It's important that we keep working together, sharing information, and continue to contact the FTC, BBB, and local consumer protection boards. We did nothing wrong and we can't let Sony bully us.
coreno
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby STEFANOVIC » 14 Apr 2010, 21:17

live1 wrote:just got off the phone from sony uk .they said the gta game thats out on fri wont work without updating this really sucks.so we cant even play games offline.f**k sony

I feared that would be the case, I pre ordered it a while ago. Thanks for posting though at least now I know what im in for. Ive been in between buying another PS3 for a while now so I to say if another bypass does not pop up soon ill be buying another one.
STEFANOVIC
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Nightmare » 14 Apr 2010, 21:31

From http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-hacks ... post290052

In a small way (in which experts know about this already), I did some sniffing of things going on the auth.np.ac.playstation.net:443 as that site does the authentication before allowing to login. There were various exchanges of certificates to and from that server to the console. Somehow it triggers some command where it extracts the infos of the console then sent for checking and outputs 8002A212 if not latest firmware. The commands and info exchange are all machine language and its visible that its verisign encrypted.

Its very elementary and easy if all strings with lower than 3.21 on the UserAgents are replaced correctly, but that will be useless because all the critical info exchange are in the encrypted streams. The bad thing about this is how, where, when, and what packets to inject therein because essentially its intruding on an encrypted data exchange.

I see that there is some checking in place also to verify the authenticity and integrity of the data being exchanged (there are several followup connections to the auth server), so the modification coming from data injection would be tricky and difficult.

Perhaps a way to get this is extract a successful handshake from a 3.21 running console and replicate it on a lower firmware console via packet injection. But then, its a whole new different console altogether, and probably the certificates would not match.

This challenge seems beyond my current skill, but again, if I can assist on anybody else here with better progress, I am in.
Nightmare
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 14 Apr 2010, 21:35

Nightmare wrote:From http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-hacks ... post290052

In a small way (in which experts know about this already), I did some sniffing of things going on the auth.np.ac.playstation.net:443 as that site does the authentication before allowing to login. There were various exchanges of certificates to and from that server to the console. Somehow it triggers some command where it extracts the infos of the console then sent for checking and outputs 8002A212 if not latest firmware. The commands and info exchange are all machine language and its visible that its verisign encrypted.

Its very elementary and easy if all strings with lower than 3.21 on the UserAgents are replaced correctly, but that will be useless because all the critical info exchange are in the encrypted streams. The bad thing about this is how, where, when, and what packets to inject therein because essentially its intruding on an encrypted data exchange.

I see that there is some checking in place also to verify the authenticity and integrity of the data being exchanged (there are several followup connections to the auth server), so the modification coming from data injection would be tricky and difficult.

Perhaps a way to get this is extract a successful handshake from a 3.21 running console and replicate it on a lower firmware console via packet injection. But then, its a whole new different console altogether, and probably the certificates would not match.

This challenge seems beyond my current skill, but again, if I can assist on anybody else here with better progress, I am in.

This confirms what I said above:

ppietro wrote:Okay - so I did a little packet sniffing. :D

What I found is that, as I had mentioned, the PS3 checks to see what the current firmware is, and updates if necessary. This is done via http:// and is the basis of the DNS trick. Then, it tries to log into PSN via https:// , and this is where we fail now.

So - since I can't decrypt https:// packets that's the end of my snooping. :D

You might notice that if you've left the DNS trick in place, you just fail PSN login. It's still not asking you to update. You have to revert back to standard DNS to get the update message.

Currently, I'm leaving my DNS trick in place. I don't want my significant other updating by accident. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Nightmare » 14 Apr 2010, 21:52

Maybe something new - firmware downgrade (it could be wrong, no guarantee!)

Code: Select all
Comment by OreallyakaJbert
2010-04-14 16:35:24

Will post this again for those who did not see my reply.

Sent an email to the admin about it.

This is what I learned from fixing other’s PS3s and cancelling my co-worker’s attempts to format the HDD(via the XMB which takes 4+ hours) and using the system recovery menu.

Back up all your saves.
Now do the format in the XMB.
Wait 20 minutes and cancel it.
This will corrupt your firmware.(What you want to do.) Sony will only require the firmware from the previous version before the current to be installed…. See More

So grab your God of War 3 discs and get ready.

Now power up and hold the power button til it beeps twice really quick. Insert GoW3, now press and hold the select and start buttons for 5 seconds when it prompts you to do such. Enjoy 3.15 downgrade.

http://www.ps3-hacks.com/2010/04/13/son ... ment-35586
Nightmare
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3