ACK!!

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

ACK!!

Postby TheOneFallen » 29 Mar 2010, 15:55

Please, forgive my thread title. But I'm extremely pissed off.

I've looked at many tutorials on this site and others for installing software in yellow Dog Linux 6. But not even half of them work for my 6.2 release. For example, installing Mplayer manually brings up a ton of error messages in the Terminal. I spent more than two days trying to get the internet up and running, and now it seems my Yellow Dog Linux is just being plainly retarded. It won't let me install QEMU properly. (It won't activate in the terminal, and when I look for it it isn't there) I found Ubuntu alot easier to work with, shall I keep trying or just screw it andgo with Ubuntu? :(

Btw, I heard about Sony axing OtherOS. :evil:
Hoping To Finish My Linux Project Soon. :D
TheOneFallen
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: ACK!!

Postby ppietro » 29 Mar 2010, 17:41

TheOneFallen wrote: I found Ubuntu alot easier to work with, shall I keep trying or just screw it andgo with Ubuntu? :(

I've always advised that if you're used to Ubuntu, you should use Ubuntu. There's a fundamental paradigm difference between the two: the Debian (Ubuntu) vs. Red Hat (Yellow Dog) debate.

For me, no matter how smooth Ubuntu is, since it's based on Debian, I'd never feel comfortable there. I'm a Red Hat user from *way* back. :D

If you decide to keep using YDL, I think your software repositories aren't configured correctly. You might start by looking in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4785

If you're wondering why you have to add extra repositories, that's because Red Hat Linuxes, like Yellow Dog, are based on a "free software" model, and don't include libraries that tread on copyright issues - like mp3, mp4, etc. Canonical, the parent company behind Ubuntu, pays licensing fees and includes some of these libraries. It makes for a smoother experience for the end users, but it also kind of sidesteps the free & open nature of Linux.

I speak much more clearly about it here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4451&p=22754#p22754

I haven't had coffee yet this morning! :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jenraux » 29 Mar 2010, 17:47

/YEs Sony are removing the Other OS feature completely, as of April 1st 2010, you will no longer be able to install Linux on ANY PS3 systems.
Jenraux
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby TheOneFallen » 29 Mar 2010, 17:51

Thanks pippetro. I've decided to switch to my faithful friend Ubuntu, i just find it easier and smoother imo.

Also, I'm not installing the new firmware. I'm keeping my Linux, Sony can screw themselves.
Hoping To Finish My Linux Project Soon. :D
TheOneFallen
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Jenraux » 29 Mar 2010, 18:13

I suppose not installing the new update is an option, however unless you have 2 PS3`s, you`ll probably be affected badly. Such as the fact that you will no longer be able to go online or use any PSN features such as playing online or using the Playstation Store unless you upgrade your firmware.
Jenraux
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby Frost » 01 Apr 2010, 07:24

People have gotten around that for now by using a proxy bypass to fool the PS3 into thinking it has the latest firmware, and supposedly there's no problem with the online or the store. Looking into how to do this right now for mine. If Sony thinks I'm giving up my Linux without a fight after the untold hours I've put into learning it and getting it all running just right on my PS3 they're crazy. :x
Frost
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Playstation 3