Help- leasefailure problem :(

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Help- leasefailure problem :(

Postby Rokaf0 » 30 Mar 2010, 01:44

Hi, i am currently having problems installing YDL 6.2 on PS3.
I am using a USB stick, and have read many many pages on the web, yet why has nobody found a solution to this leasefailure problem!? Its so frustrating.
For those of you that don't know, everytime i try to install any system (Linux and Ubuntu so far), it keeps saying
"sending discover....
sending discover....
sending discover....
don't understand action "lease failure"
info no lease, failing"
attempting to resolve lease failure.

I later tried burning, and then attempting to install, yet this didn't work either :(
I have read up all the ways to install properly on USB- although i probably still am nooby hah.
Any help would be fantastic, definitely appreciate it ( have a slideshow presentation tomorrow which i was meant to play off my tv!)
Thankyou
Rokaf0
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Help- leasefailure problem :(

Postby ppietro » 30 Mar 2010, 02:19

Rokaf0 wrote:Hi, i am currently having problems installing YDL 6.2 on PS3.
I am using a USB stick, and have read many many pages on the web, yet why has nobody found a solution to this leasefailure problem!? Its so frustrating.
For those of you that don't know, everytime i try to install any system (Linux and Ubuntu so far), it keeps saying
"sending discover....
sending discover....
sending discover....
don't understand action "lease failure"
info no lease, failing"
attempting to resolve lease failure.

I later tried burning, and then attempting to install, yet this didn't work either :(
I have read up all the ways to install properly on USB- although i probably still am nooby hah.
Any help would be fantastic, definitely appreciate it ( have a slideshow presentation tomorrow which i was meant to play off my tv!)
Thankyou

Normally, leasefail is one of those error messages you get, and ignore. We all get that message, and nothing happens - the boot goes on to the next step. You're actually getting hung on the next step past the Leasefail, I think.

So - the bigger question is: "Why is your install failing?"

When you burned it to disc, and it didn't work, there are a couple of things to try:

1st - Run a SHA1SUM verify on the ISO you downloaded. There's a good chance you might have corrupt data. There's a quick guide here:
http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/iso/SHA1SUM-HOWTO
and a table of SHA1SUM values here:
http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/iso/SHA1SUM

2nd - We recommend using a program called IMGBURN for Windows to create the installer disc from the ISO. Also - you should try using IMGBURN at a 1x speed to avoid disc errors. Remember - you don't burn a disc of an ISO - you have to create the disc from the ISO. An ISO is not a ZIP file - it's an image snapshot. Burning a disc that contains 1 ISO file won't work. Neither will opening up an ISO and burning the contents to a disc; that skips the boot sectors contained in the ISO. That's why you need a program like IMGBURN; it takes the ISO and creates a disc.

Finally - in regards to USB - there are issues with installing from USB media. Basically, the YDL installer only works from DVD-ROM. If you want to use USB, you will need to follow this procedure and do an http install via networking:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6989

Personally, it sounds like you can burn DVDs - if there's nothing wrong with your PS3's drive, I'd use that method.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help- leasefailure problem :(

Postby Frost » 01 Apr 2010, 07:17

I had the same problem when I was upgrading to YDL 6.2. The checksum checked out but it still refused to work.

I downloaded a fresh copy of the ISO and burned it to disc just because I couldn't think of anything else that I hadn't already tried, and that worked. :?

No idea why that worked, but there it is... solved the problem for me.
Frost
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Playstation 3