troubleshoot with sound, emulation, yum update + custom kern

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

troubleshoot with sound, emulation, yum update + custom kern

Postby thizzkid » 01 Apr 2010, 19:54

Hello everyone,

first off, before i goto into DETAIL with my situation, i would like to point out that im not a noobie,the search button is my best freind, it helped out alot with pairing my ps3 controller to my system with the custom kernel, and helped with installing snes9x-gtk 1.52 on my YDL 6.2 also

ok with that being said, im having problems setting up my audio to work correctly, when i first installed YDL 6.2 and tested the audio, it demo'd fine i heard the little 6 second sound, but after i changed E17 to gnome, i goto the sound setting in the settings menu and demo it again, but i cant hear nothing,

Same for my emulator, no sound output at all

Before i erased YDL 6.2 and re-partitioned it, my sound setting at the top right hand corner of the desktop on gnome,use to have a X mark in red, right on the speaker that you would change the voloume at, just thought you guys should know

i Tried tampering with the sound settings, like changing the sound rate to 48hz above default, and changed to all the settings like ALSA and SLD or whatever the other setting is called, and even tampered with the sync check box, but still no go

EDIT* i read somewhere that the rpm, PortAudio, can fix this issue, if im right, please direct me in the right direction, thanks all

man i felt like i searched all over this site and yellow dog board, but its like no one has a answer for this issue

Another issue is that i never used yum update right when i got done installing YDL 6.2, and im afraid that if i yum update now, it will erase my custom kernell for my bluetooth ps3 controller, can someone tell me how to update my linux without getting rid of my kernell, so i can still use my PS3 controller wirelessly?

So many of us have this problem, can someone turn this into a sticky, thanks everyone for your contribution to this post
thizzkid
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: troubleshoot with sound, emulation, yum update + custom kern

Postby billb » 02 Apr 2010, 00:18

thizzkid wrote:Another issue is that i never used yum update right when i got done installing YDL 6.2, and im afraid that if i yum update now, it will erase my custom kernell for my bluetooth ps3 controller, can someone tell me how to update my linux without getting rid of my kernell, so i can still use my PS3 controller wirelessly?

Actually the custom kernel was only needed during the time it took for Fixstars to post an official update. So, it's OK to run yum update -- the official kernel update includes the same fix for bluetooth.

Not sure about your sound issues... how did you install snes9x-gtk?
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby thizzkid » 02 Apr 2010, 01:02

see thats the thing im having problems with, before i reformatted, i did a yum update first without using the custom kernel, then used the normal guide to installing the bluetooth DS3, but it didint work, so i reformatted then used the kernel this time and didnt update and it worked, what should i do?

and for the snes emulator, i used my YDL 6.2 mozilla browser and went to this link http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/bodega/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=574

in the link there was your snes rpm, so i saved it to desktop and double clicked it and ran it, i could of sworn that was the normal way to install it?

im still using the default repos, since i tried adding other repos like the PS3 bodega, and the fedora, and fedora extras, but it just completely slowed my system down,especially in add/remove programs, which was the problem everyone was having.

is there any way to add other repos to my existing default 3 repos on YDL 6.2?

thanks bill for your quick response, based off searching all these forums, i know your the man to goto =)

thanks again
thizzkid
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 02 Apr 2010, 01:19

Since we're also having the same discussion over on the ps3bodega forum I'm locking this topic. :wink:
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Playstation 3